Monday, November 19, 2007

Happy Hump Day!

Yes, I know, it's only Monday, *gasp*, but it is still like a Wednesday for us office workers. It's like an immense euphoric HIGH knowing that there are only three work days this week. Only THREE DAYS of ringing telephones, annoying clients, fellow co-workers complaints ("Wha! The copier/fax/printer is not working/out of paper/out of toner!") and endless clock-watching till six p.m. Freedom is almost here! I'm hoping (praying) that my work lets us go a couple hours early...like four on Wednesday would be perfect!

Anyway, the weekend was good. Was lazy a lot (something I don't do nearly enough of and that I am trying to enjoy as much as possible before (A) the wedding gets closer and closer and things start getting more chaotic and (B) before we start trying to get pregnant!!!) but I also did some good house-cleaning. Having Thanksgiving dinner at our house for my mom and her boyfriend, D's Dad and his grandmother. So, not a lot of people, but I still seem to get SO stressed for the holiday wanting everything to be perfect...yummy food, clean house, happy guests. All I have left to clean is the bathroom.

And Wednesday after work, D and I are going to go food-shopping (nothing like waiting till the last minute, right? I guess that's what happens when there is only about twenty bucks in our checking account and D doesn't get paid till Wednesday...of course I don't get paid this week...damn bi-weekly checks!). I wanted to start baking my pumpkin pie after we get home from shopping on Wednesday but a coworker/friend of D's wants to meet up for drinks. Normally I'd be like, "Ack! The the night before Thanksgiving?? Are you insane???" But I know that D doesn't ever really make requests like these (I'M normally the one setting up drinks/dinner/hanging out with friends) and that it's a guy he has started getting chummy with at work, so I said yes! (and his friend's wife is a novice knitter like me, so already we have something in common, lol).

Anyway, what is everyone making for Thanksgiving? I mean, obviously turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing...the main staples...but I like to hear what else everyone has on their dinner table? I don't make anything *fancy*...not enough time or money for that...just good 'ol comfort foods. I started making broccoli and cheddar casserole a few years ago and now it's a standard request with my family. I'm also thinking of some type of sweet potato side dish (last year I did a sweet potato casserole in the crock pot) but haven't decided specifically what yet. Oh and one thing that is a family tradition, my mom always made that I now make, creamed onions. SO delicious! (I'm an onion freak.) I also made a homemade (well, I won't lie, the crust is Pillsbury LOL) apple pie a couple weeks ago and froze it so all I'll have to do is pop that in the oven after dinner. And of course I'll be making my homemade pumpkin pie...made it for the first time last year and it was a HUGE hit! Yummy! I'm getting hungry just thinking of it all.

What are you making this year that is a main staple or family tradition or just "something new you wanted to try", in your house??

8 comments:

Chele76 said...

*deep inhale*

the "perfect" roasted 14 pound turkey, homemade gravy, stuffing with wild rice and almonds, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, butternut squashand apple soup with chestnuts, brussel sprouts with radicchio and panchetta, dinner rolls (yes - homemade also!), fresh cranberry sauce (another hommade one!), classic pumpkin pie, two-layer caramel-pecan bars, and an olive platter.

***sigh, deep breath out....while passing out on the floor***

you think I am overdoing it for my first Thanksgiving dinner? Then again, I have a little more then a week, we're doing all of this on 12/1.

...oh, and that is only for 4 people ;-)

Smitty76 said...

You crack me up! :-) That is a LOT of food...I remember my first hosted Thanksgiving...there was a TON of food. LOL I felt like in order to be a good hostess, I had to completely over-stuff my mom and her boyfriend (my only two guests besides my brother who did an "eat and run"). They ended up passing out afterwards on the couch from "food exhaustion", right in the middle of a movie. I watched the movie to the tune of two different snores. LOL Your dinner sounds YUMMY though!

Cecily R said...

I feel the same way about school...granted I'll be so ready to send the kids back after the weekend, but right now the idea of not having to wake the monsters up at 7:30 am to get ready makes me hum a little bit. :)

Have a great holiday!

Keri said...

I used to comb through the gourmet magazines to find outrageous recipes to use on T-day. But my in'laws aren't quite into that type of fare.... so i'm back to basics. A good 24pd turkey, Chardonney gravy, Sweet potatoes with honeyed walnuts, Mashed herb and monchego cheese baby red potatoes, apple and sausage stuffing, MY FIRST mile high apple pie (gonna use a couple of different kinds of apples) , pumpkin pecan pie with eggnog whipcream. Oh, and thanks to your blog... i'm trying broccoli casserole for the first time. The recipe i found looks good. thanks

~**Dawn**~ said...

I am not cooking anything! I am travelling. The Daniel half of my hosts (the other half being Nichole) is keeping the menu a secret, but I've spent the last few holidays with them in California, and I can safely say that the meal will be to-die-for. I will have to share the menu afterward!

Chele is making brussel sprouts!!

Chele76 said...

lol - Dawn - you caught my brussel sprouts!

Smitty76 said...

OMG Michele you aren't *serious* about brussel sprouts? Or ARE you? I'm totally confused. And I DO like brussel sprouts. LOL

~**Dawn**~ said...

I think she's serious. Last Thanksgiving (or was it Christmas...) I tried brussel sprouts for the first time & really liked them, which made her brave enough to try them too!