Sunday, December 23, 2007

Does this mean I'm a grown up now?

We ran to Lowe's today amid the crazy food shopping (I offered to make a pumpkin cheesecake for Christmas at the in-laws AND tonight I tried out a yummy recipe for dinner so I needed all the ingredients) and holiday shopping for D's grandparents...we were only supposed to go into Lowe's for a gift card for his grandpa.

While inside, D was like, "Let's go look at the carpets." Let me just preface this by saying we ALWAYS look at the carpets while in Lowe's and talk about what we want to get when we can afford to get a new carpet in our living room (the carpet we have now is dingy and old and stained from the past owners pets and children AND from a couple pets of my own--not to mention the color is completely off from what we painted in there and what color our furniture is).

Anyway, a SUPER nice employee at Lowe's started chatting us up about carpet selections, prices and what we were interested in when he saw me fingering different carpet samples with longing in my eyes.

That's when I turned to Daryl (who had not started my Christmas shopping yet--he was gonna do it today and tomorrow like a typical last-minute man) and without even blinking, I immediately burst out with,

"I'll forgo getting Christmas gifts this year if we can get a new carpet!!!"

He looked at me in surprise for a moment and said, "Really? You don't want gifts? Just the carpet?"

"Oh yes, I'm positive!"

So needless to say, I'm psyched! WE ORDERED THE CARPET and I couldn't be happier.

Does this mean I'm a grown up now? No presents...and I'm HAPPY ABOUT IT?

And even though I have always loved giving gifts and have for YEARS, I also love RECEIVING gifts. It's fun. It makes me feel like a kid, I admit.

But this is the first year that it hit me...I don't *need* to receive a gift to be happy this Christmas. I'm more excited to give. Even the sense of satisfaction I've gotten out of handing out my homemade goodies has made me positively giddy. WHY has it taken me almost the entire Christmas season to come to this realization?

Regardless, I'm happy. I have lots to be thankful for this Christmas.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!

7 comments:

Heather said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Melissa said...

Congrats on the carpet. Sometimes if it's something we really want were willing to sacrifice somewhere else.

And giving is truly wonderful, especially when you've made something yourself..

Merry Merry and a Happy Happy to you and D!

Keri said...

That's an awesome gift ! So worth the presents.

Merry Christmas to you, D , and all your loved ones !

~**Dawn**~ said...

I haven't had a chance to catch up on blogs yet, but I did want to wish you & D a very wonderful Christmas, April.

Taj said...

Merry Christmas! Hope a wonderful day is had by all.

Cecily R said...

WHat a great present! I would TOTALLY do the same thing!!!

Merry Christmas Smitty!!c

Zoe said...

yes. that makes you grown up. so does wanting matching silverware. new carpet rocks.