Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I got a phone call last night from Daryl, before I got home from work.

"Hey! You got a package!! What did my mother send you in the mail?? "

His momma had sent me my first birthday gift! (my birthday is this Wednesday, the 12th) . After I came home, I started leafing through the many Christmas cards and bills in the pile and set the gift aside while Daryl eyed me anxiously.

"Well? Aren't you going to open it?" He begged.

While I wast trying to cut into the packaging, Daryl hovered over my shoulder like an impatient, nosy child, saying, "Come on! Open it! I wanna see!! How come I never get care-packages like this from my mother?!?!".

"Hello?" I said, my eyebrows raised. "This is my birthday present!! And you do so get gifts from your Mom!"

"Not like that." He replied stubbornly.

So, first I opened up the card and it was one of those mushy "I'm so glad my son found you and that you're my daughter-in-law" type cards. The big sap I am, I welled up a bit after reading it. But the best part was when I handed it to Daryl and he read it and got completely misty-eyed and said, "Wow, my mom must really love you!"

Then I pulled out the wrapped gift. The last time we were up north visiting her I was admiring her LED Night Vision Book Light...cuz I LOVE to read in bed but Daryl can't sleep with the regular light on so I usually don't get to. But at his Mom's I tried it out and he slept right beside me while I was reading. It was awesome! So she got me one (yippy!) and also had written on a card that the next time we get together she would take me to Borders to pick out a new book.

There was also another little bag that she had included that was jam-packed with all kinds of herbal teas, hot chocolate packets and mini-marshmallows. Daryl then said in a soft voice, "Wow, she knows you pretty well. " He kept poking into the wrappings, as if he expected a present for him to jump out. "How come I didn't get anything?"

"Again, honey, this is for my birthday gift!" I laughed. "You know how when parents have their second baby and that baby gets tons of gifts so to make the adjustment easier on their firstborn, like a 2-year old, that two-year old gets gifts? Well YOU are like that two-year-old! Do you think that every time your mom sends/gives me a gift that she has to give you a little something too?"

He pouted for a minute and then said simply, "Yes." LOL

Anyway, I love my mother-in-law! She is so thoughtful!! :-)





6 comments:

Keri said...

OMG ! i didn't know your b-day was the 12th... it's my dad's too... ok now that is a freaky thing !
Congrats on the cool present. LOVE EM ! it's great when a MIL gets an actual good thing.. vs. a rudolph sweater. lol

~**Dawn**~ said...

LOL at him poking arpund looking for his too!

Smitty76 said...

Keri-yes I'm a December baby! (my Dad's b-day was six days before mine!). How funny it's the same day as your Dads! And funny story, my ex bf's mom, a few Christmas's back, gave me a horrible, horrible red Christmas sweater with these green and gold felt-like Christmas trees on them. Ugh! I immediately returned it! LOL

Dawn-no lie...he hoped right until the last minute that there was something in there for him! LOL

Driving With the Brakes On said...

Happy birthday - a day early. What a great mother-in-law! Mine only sends what comes from the clearance pages of the latest Avon catalog - a nice gesture, but just a card would save me a trip to the trashcan.

Love reading about the wedding planning - all the stress and frustration will pay off! And the baby fever - also fun to read about, because I so remember being there (the first time, the second time, and now for the third time.) Will continue to catch-up in the archives, and look forward to reading more!

Melissa said...

LOL! I love D's what am I getting, what am I getting approach. To bad it didn't work.

You are so lucky that D's mom and you get along. It took a long time for me to get close with my mil.

Happy early bday, I hope you have a great one, it looks like your off to a great start!!

LOL! my word veri is tljmum

April said...

Happy Happy Birthday! My MIL is great like that, too!! When we were engaged, she would send me TONS of really cool stuff (she was in CA and I in OH)....anyways, hope your day tomorrow is fantastic (whatever your new age is!).