Friday, December 14, 2007


Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!


Would you like to know how I spent Storm Alexander yesterday?? (okay it makes me laugh typing a name for a snow storm).....

Why, baking my little (wait, little?) hiney off, of course! Work let us out at eleven when the storm began since our school is on term break and there were no classes going on. I was very thankful to BEAT the mad crazy traffic that would erupt a little later as the snow came down.

I made a quick trip to Target on the slippery drive home to get:
1. A new shovel
2. hat and gloves to wear WHILE I shoveled
3. hershey kisses
4. and a stocking stuffer for D (yes this was totally unneccessary to buy during a snow storm, however, I was already there and saw it and purchased it!)

When I got home I immediately dove into my peanut butter blossom-baking and that took about an hour and a half or so...maybe two? Then it was time for the shoveling. Can I just say UGH?!?! Granted we don't have a long driveway or walkway, but, the driveway is on a hill so I was slipping and sliding all over as I shoveled which was a tad (opppppppppppppppppppppp <----okay my kitty Molly is trying to get in on this whole blogging phenomenon) embarrassing as people drove by. LOL And poor Big D! It took me about FOUR HOURS to drive home from Vernon to Meriden...he said literally that it took one full hour hour to drive three exits with all the traffic. Yuck! I was thankful to already be home. Since I had some time to kill, I dove into washing all those dirty dishes in the sink. Fun times.

After he finally made it home, we watched Scrooged with Bill Murray (LOVE that movie!) for a bit. Then we ventured out (I love four wheel drive in the winter time!) to get healthy KFC for dinner. Neither of us felt like cooking...me, after hours of baking and shoveling AND D after hours of sitting in bumper to bumper driving. After dinner, Big D shoveled the drive and walkway AGAIN as there definitely was a pretty fast accumulation. That was when I decided to tackle the chocolate covered pretzel rods that I've been itching to make, thanks to Melissa. They came out delish!!! I dipped them in white chocolate and sprinkled on either crushed candy cane or multi colored/shaped sprinkles. They look very festive!

Then it was time to get the pups out into the accumulation and poor Daisy had snow up to her armpits! She could barely manuever around! Needless to say, she didn't play much! Tucker, on the other hand LOVED IT and kept burrowing his yellow snout into piles of fluffy snow then he'd come up snorting flakes everywhere! It was hilarious. Unfortunately these are the best pics I could get as I was standing in the doorway with no shoes on, and they were both running at me, mock-10! Look at poor Daisy, she could barely get back up onto the porch!!! LOL And Tucker is saying, "Look OUT Mama! Here I come!" :-)

7 comments:

Keri said...

Wow, the treats look so good.
I gotta make some for M's guys/ gals at work. Those pretzel things look like a winner.
Ozzie used to love the snow too. But not with his sweater on ! use to rub it off on any post available.
ps... did D measure the 'snow' too??

Smitty76 said...

Ha! No but he wish he HAD measured the...ahem..."snow" last night! LOL I have to say, I think part of Daisy's not playing was becuz of her sweater...I think it makes it a little more difficult for her to run. This morning I sent her out "nakey" and she took off leaping snow drifts like a pro! LOL

Melissa said...

Oh man, could I got for a peanut butter blossom right now, yum! The pretzels look great. I never thought of putting crushed candy cane on them. Another idea for next year. I usually make candy cane bark with my candy canes ;)

You guys really did get a lot of snow. Everything looks fluffy and white, beautiful!!

Smitty76 said...

FYI Melissa (And Keri if you try them) crushed candy cane sprinkled over the white chocolate on the pretzels = HEAVENLY!!!!!

~**Dawn**~ said...

Your Peanut Butter Blossoms look just as good as mine did! =)

Smitty76 said...

Dawn-Aren't peanut butter blossoms the BOMB!??! And so easy to make too. ;-)

~**Dawn**~ said...

And so yummy. I love when yummy is easy too!