Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I just can't stand it anymore. I am Queen of the Headaches...and I'm tired of it.

I have had lots 'o headaches for quite a few months now (possibly 6+??) and I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it.

Possible causes:
1. I'm a teeth grinder/smasher/clencher in my sleep. I can't seem to stop doing it...I don't know if it's stress related or what? I can't really afford the mouth piece from a dentist and I won't even bother spending my money on an over the counter piece becuz I obviously don't like things in my mouth while I sleep. When I used to wear a retainer, that sucker never stayed in my mouth long. As soon as I fell asleep, I think I pitched it across the room. I'd find it halfway in the hallways or buried in dust bunnies under the bed. I have a dentist appointment this week so I'll broach the subject with them. Again.
2. Vision problems. I'm having more and more problems lately with seeing stuff far away. The first thing I noticed was while driving on the highway, I can't see signs (unless they are right up on top of me). And when I'm standing at the deli counter, I gotta get up REALLY close in order to see the lunch meat labels. It's frustrating! My mom is far-sighted and my dad was near-sighted, so I guess it was only a matter of time before this became an issue for me. I have an appointment with an eye doctor next month so we will see how that goes!
3. Dryness in my house. I have NO IDEA if this can cause headaches but it's wicked dry in my home and I wake up every morning with what feels like a mouth full of cotton and a dry/sore throat. I usually have to guzzle a gallon of water to feel "normal" again. I already told D we need to get a humidifier. STAT.
4. Caffeine. I really don't consume much caffeine but I would say maybe a cup a day (tea or coffee or hot chocolate). It never used to give me a head ache before, but who knows if my body has changed? But I refuse to completely give it up.

So that is my tale of whoa. I know everyone around me is tired of hearing me whine about it. And I'm sure ADVIL has most likely burned a hole in my stomach by now. I should have bought STOCK in the stuff.

I just want to throw on an eye mask, turn off all the lights, and curl up under a blanket till it goes away. Since I'm at work, that obviously is not an option. Maybe I can huddle under my desk????

9 comments:

Zoe said...

ugg. teeth grinding can way cause a headache. i got this funky thing from my dentist that goes over my front two teeth. not pretty. makes ya drool. but no headaches when i wear it.

Driving With the Brakes On said...

How much water do you drink in a day? One of the top signs of dehydration is a headache. The rest could certainly be contributers as well . . . sounds like a call to the dentist and the optomatrist are in order!

Chele76 said...

don't forget sinuses.... those pesky guys can give major headaches without a single other symptom....

Melissa said...

I second the sinuses. I know I quite often have a sinus headache. Here's one you didn't mention either. Could you be anemic? That also runs with headaches.

Whatever it is, I hope they can figure it out. I went for months with a headache and it turned out I was anemic. A little iron and poof no more headache. Yippee!

~**Dawn**~ said...

Any & all of the above, unfortunately. Can you feel where the headache is? I know when my glasses need updating because I can actually feel my eyes hurting as part of the headache.

Keri said...

I feel your pain. I suffer from horrible TMJ and grind my freakin teeth like mad. Hate those dull stay with you all day aches. the worst. I did find that the tylenol for headaches to be the best stuff... but only try one tablet to start... powerful stuff.

Poltzie said...

A hole in your stomach isn't really that big a deal, now you can eat more!!
If you get glasses I will honestly be really jealous of you. I've always wanted glasses since I was a kid but sadly I've been cursed with perfect vision...
Seriously though I hope you figure it out. I have had headaches or migraines all my life and it totally sucks. Luckily it's been better since I've gotten knocked up but I can only imagine how long that will last.
Cheers to Advil and a little wine never hurt anyone either!

April said...

Okay, now it's time for my two cents. LOL. Since you're saying you are SO dry - definitely dehydration. Also, if you're on any BC - that could be causing the migraines. I used to suffer before kids when I was on the pill - went off and then didn't have them for a few years....they started back after my daughter was born, but now that I'm on new meds, no more migraines -- and I also have really bad TMJ - teeth grinding ALL the time. Good luck! Oh, and BTW, I do not know how to get my "links" to work on my meme - how do you do it??? Help!

Smitty76 said...

Ok to answer everyone:
I don't think it's dehydration in the sense that water is ALL I drink, ALL day long. I drink plenty. LOL It's just my home, itself, that is dry. The air.
And sinuses are definitely a possibility.
Not sure about being anemic though? I think last time doctor checked for that, my iron level was fine. The headaches I've been getting are specifically right underneath my eyebrows...a dull, ongoing pain! And I TOTALLY don't want glasses. Ha ha! I always used to pride myself on perfect vision so I am really bummed out now that this is changing...but if I HAVE to get glasses, you can be damn sure I'm getting a cute pair! ;-)