Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I guess it was inevitable.

I've lasted 31 years without having a need to go to the chiropractor (while a good portion of my friends need to go on pretty regular basis for various issues) and figured I never would have to go. And there is just something about the thought of a doctor "cracking" me (I get horrible visuals in my head of this...I'd rather crack my OWN parts, thank you very much!) that always scared me away from the thought of going to a chiropractor.

Well, times have changed. After having constant pain in my back and neck since last Wednesday, I'm feeling pretty desperate. I had a massage on Friday night and I also made myself an appointment for a massage at the student clinic on Thursday afternoon.

I'm no stranger to massage. I WORK at a massage school (in the office, I'm not an MT. I *shudder* at the thought of touching other people's feet!) And up until about six months ago, I received on a pretty regular basis. I believe massage is great self-care. But sometimes, it just might not be enough. My supervisor did a little work on me while I sat in my desk chair (and even while I laid on the carpeted floor in our back office) and she said my body is all out of alignment and that I have a good 1/2-1" longer on my right side than my left. And it certainly feels like I'm all out of whack...for lack of a better, technical term...it doesn't feel good. So I've decided to call a chiro and try to set up an appointment for either end of this week/early next week.

I'm scared!! There it is again! That crazy mental visual of a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde mad scientist in a flowy white lab-coat and rubber gloves (don't ask me WHY he has on rubber gloves) cracking his knuckles and cackling maniacally before braking my body in half over a table. Hold me!!

8 comments:

carrie said...

Sorry your back'r hurting! My husband swears by the chiropractor -- I, on the other hand, swear by massage. I'm too much of a wimp to be "cracked" also! :)

Good luck!

Melissa said...

Good luck! I know a Chiro used to help my back and neck immensely!! Just don't listen to all the cracking and you will feel great when he is done.

Chele76 said...

I had an adjustment once... and it was one of the most heavenly expereinces.

You'll love how it feels. I am sure...

Dan Mega said...

My mother is a physical therapist and she says that chiropractors are crooks...something about only making it worse overall and that they are a big ripoff. Dunno.

kristabella said...

Back quacks scare me too. It just seems that once you go, you can't stop. And to me, that does not make sense.

Good luck!

Robyn said...

I am also frightened of the chiropractor. Crack your back, crack your back. a little

~**Dawn**~ said...

Never been to one. Never needed to even consider it. My cousin is a chiropractor though amd too my knowledge has never done bodily harm to anyone. Ok, I meant that to sound more comforting than it actually sounds... LOL

krissy said...

I hate when they crack my neck! I went 29yrs without going to one but trust a chicky little like myself....it's not that bad!

Ha, Ha! Touching people's feet! I couldn't touch someone else's nasty crusted feet! Gag!