Monday, February 04, 2008

So I'm a little behind the times...I meant to put this up this morning. Blame the Super Bowl, blame my hangover, blame my lack of sleep...blame whatever you like. Heh. Last week I did just okay following my plan; a couple of the dinners ended up happening on different nights. A couple of nights didn't happen at all though cuz of extenuating circumstances (went to get our taxes done Tuesday and had quick pasta when we got home afterwards, and Friday D ended up working late so I made myself some comfort food, chicken parm and whole wheat penne pasta. Yum!)
Oh and for more great ideas, check out this site.

Monday: Kielbasa and baked beans

Tuesday: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn

Wednesday: Chicken Merlot (recipe will follow below) this is a new recipe so I hope we like it!
w/rice and steamed green beans

Thursday: I think I'm getting my hair done after work tonight, so probably just pasta with sauce and steamed broccoli when I get home

Friday: Pizza Night

Saturday: Too much going on today so I have no idea what we'll be eating until then

Sunday: Sausage and Peppers Sandwiches
with garden salads



Chicken Merlot (my friend cut this out of her local newspaper and raved about it)

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, about 4 ounces each
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cups quartered mushrooms, about 1/2 a pound
2 cups peeled, sliced carrots
4 pieces canadian bacon, cut into 1/4-inch wide slices
2/3 cup merlot (i used the brand 14 hands, 2003 merlot, its delicious!)
2/3 cup non fat reduced sodium chicken broth (although i think i just used regular chicken broth, not reduced sodium or non fat)
2 tsp tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley (i didnt have any, so i didnt use)

Cut each chicken breast crosswise into 3 pieces.
Combine the flour thyme and salt in a resealable plastic bag and add the chicken pieces. Seal the bag and shake to coat the chicken. Remove the chicken and shake off excess flour (i put the chicken pieces onto a plate, and sprinkled more thyme and salt).. Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cookin spray (i didnt have any, so just drizzled olive oil.). Add 1 teaspoon oil (i already drizzled with oil) and heat over medium high heat. add the chicken and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned on both sides (it took a little longer than 5 minutes).. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet (again i didnt measure, i just drizzled), and saute the mushrooms, carrots and bacon for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine, broth and tomato paste and cook stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until it is no longer pink in the center. Divide the chicken mixture among 4 plates, sprink with parsley (didnt have any) and serve! :)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Yum, can you send your leftovers to our house? ;)

Zoe said...

i so need to do this. i never plan any meals.

krissy said...

Oh yum! I'm so freaking starving now!

You are so cute being so organized! If I didn't love you I think I might hate you!!! LOL!

Hows the wedding plans????

Chele76 said...

I bet I can guess which friend gave you the recepie :)

Keri said...

sounds yummie...
my menu plan is working out great... makes the 'what the hell am i gonna make for dinner?' alot easier !!

~is it just me or are the word verifications getting longer???
mines ybqmywfhb...