Thursday, February 28, 2008

To combat some of the negativity I've been feeling lately and that last totally depressing post, I decided to start up my own list of things I'm thankful for. Here are some to get me, you, us--going!

Things I'm totally, fabulously, 100% thankful for:

Kissing Daryl's freshly shaven cheek.
Reese's Peanut Butter cup trees, pumpkins, easter eggs (more pb than regular cups!)
Seeing my Mom smile.
Digging my toes in warm sand.
Cool spring/summer night air tickling my face.
Old Navy tank tops.
Crickets chirping.
Granny Smith apples paired with extra sharp cheddar cheese.
My beautiful friends.
Typing/writing a story...being in the zone.
A baby's giggle.
Cheese. Especially warm, crusty cooked cheese.
The warm folds of a dog's ear.
The smell of rubber.
Teddy bears...both the plush kind AND the manly kind.
Halloween and Christmas.
Music.
Christmas Tree farms.
Paperclips.
My flip-flops.
Starbucks nonfat gingerbread lattes.
Big, cuddly bear hugs.
That powdery/lotion-y smell of newborns.
Blue crayons and markers.
Drinking tea with Mom.
Jeans that make my hiney look smaller.
Sloppy dog kisses.
Chocolate chip cookie dough, eaten by the spoonful.
Photographs, photographs and MORE photographs.
Ponytail-holders.
Hearing Daryl tell me he loves me.
Floating in the ocean.
Sugar scrubs.
Snowflakes. Especially big, fat, airy ones like last night's.
Taco Bell's Mexi Melts.
The crisp smell of winter.
Big hoop earrings.
Smooth skin.
Rubbing Daryl's shaved head.
My birthday.
Pumpkins.
Kitties doing "mushies" on my belly.
Cell phones.
Rainy days spent under a blanket, indoors.
My strength, both physically and mentally.
The comforting warmth of clothes fresh out of the dryer.
My wedding dress.
The smooth taste of a white chocolate martini. Mmmm...
Having my grandfather and father's "Smith" nose.
Birthdays.
My kooky sense of humor.
Mine and my brother's baby books, 30 and 31 years later.
Crunchy Autumn leaves.
Sour cream.
Painted toenails.
High watt light bulbs.
Stickers.
Reading Daryl's blog.
Having 25 great years worth of memories of Dad.


Wow, this was way easier than I thought it would be. Once I started, I found it hard to stop thinking of things I'm thankful for! :-) And to cap this all off, here is a poem I wrote a few years back that always relaxes me.

Nurturing my Soul



By: April L. Smith

Shiny granules of sand tickle my bare toes
as simultaneously I feel the insistent pricking and prodding
from the many sea shells sharp contours.

The ocean breeze is cool and salty,
kissing my face gently,
like a lover whose known the touch of my skin for years.

Unconscious thoughts—distractions— struggle to clutter my mind,
and I deliberately force them away,
visualizing them emptying like particles of sand
slowly pouring from an hourglass.

I stroll closer to the water’s edge,
over the smooth stones worn down by the incessant lapping of water;
stones that comfortingly warm the soles of my weary feet.

The powerful cries of the gulls nourish me,
as I take in the lulling sound of the waves crashing against rock and sand,
and it soothes me…
…conveys me to a peaceful, nurturing place I’d almost forgotten.


And what else makes me happier than Daryl and my pups?? NOTHING.



6 comments:

Flea said...

Mmmmm. Cheese.

Robyn said...

I may have to try that. I'm sure you felt a whole lot better. Hugs girl.

Cecily R said...

LOVE the list, LOVE the poem. It does make you feel better, doesn't it? :)

Melissa said...

All that stuff makes me happy. My Poppie used to eat apple pie with cheese on it. I always used to think it was so weird...until I tried it. Yum!

Keri said...

What a great list ! sooooo many of those things we share a love for !

Melek said...

awwww...what a great uplifting post. thanks for sharing.

but you forgot to put "lots of blog comments from my blogger friends"

:)