Thursday, February 21, 2008

Who the heck needs stinkin' Valentine's Day??

My honey and I are going on a date tonight!!! I'm super excited.

I came home last night to the sweetest card ever that Big D made for me on the computer (we love our new Hallmark program. So worth the fifty bucks!) The card basically acknowledged that life isn't always peaches and cream...and even though people don't/can't take "romantic moonlit dinners" all the time and can't/don't have 24 hours of romance in our busy and chaotic lives, it doesn't make our love any less special or important. And he told me that he was taking me out to dinner tonight becuz we never, ever do fun things like that anymore (unless we have a gift card, heh heh...) and we need to always make time for the fun stuff!

And this dinner is not going to be a "let's sit around in our comfortable-years together-silence while I people watch and D peeks at the sport playing on the tv screen" while we then proceed to talk about bills and stress and annoying family members. NO, this date will be all about US and the enjoyment we get by being together...we had one of these a couple of weeks back (we had a gift card LOL) and it was the best time we'd had in a while. It was like we remembered how to laugh and giggle and flirt again without the stress-talk of wedding planning, mortgages due and which family member got drunk or beat some one up (and no believe it or not, we're not hillbilly white trash. We just have crazy families.)

I feel like a giddy girl in the midst of that squishy, lovely feeling (you all know the one) that people feel in the beginning of a new relationship. That excitement-- the anticipation to see him--and wishing you were together RIGHT. THIS. VERY. INSTANCE.

I know I have said it before but I'm going to say it again, I love my Big D more and more every day.

I love the way he always knows that I've had a bad day--just from the tone in my voice--and instinctively takes over making dinner or washing the dishes. I love the way we grocery shop together. I love the way he laughs at my craziness of always having to put items "away" even though half the time instead of putting it away, I lose his keys/sneakers/ book/whatever. I love the way HE LOVES ME without makeup on. I love the way he washes and waxes (my) truck till its a gleaming cherry red. I love the way he tolerates my obsession with taking pictures ("pictures are memories!" LOL) and poses yet again, and again, and again with only minor complaints. I love the way he hates to see me cry. I love the way he will give me the last dollar in his wallet so that I can buy a coffee (even though he really wanted one that day). I love the way he likes me to shave his head in the basement (I do a good job!). I love the way he cuddles and baby talks our dogs and cats (he'll be THE BEST Daddy). I love the way his smile lights up the whole room for me. And I love that even though he pretends to other people that he could care less about the wedding STUFF, he'll still probably tear up to see me walk down the aisle. Cuz he's my toasted marshmallow.

7 comments:

Keri said...

You've just discover'd the secrets to a happy long marriage...
the little things that you do for each other just to make them smile...

i love those type of dates too... fun fun fun...

Amy said...

Fun! And Keri's right, the secrets of happy marriage - the little things, enjoying each other's company and I think, recognizing BEFORE you get married that sometimes the person is just going to annoy the hell out of you.

ALF said...

so sweet! hope your date was awesome!

Poltzie said...

I hope you two are having so much fun right now! I also hope you get lucky after haha!
ps. I'm craving peaches and cream now, thanks lol :)

Robyn said...

I like the nickname toasted marshmallow. Have fun on your date, I know I could use one like that.

Dan Mega said...

"Squishy" feeling? Awww geez you didn't have to make us there.

Melissa said...

I hope you guys had a good time...even if the waitress was checking D out...

This post was great, it's so nice to remember why we are with the one we love. Sometimes we need a reminder.