Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I can't believe it's Wednesday already! (not that I'm complaining or anything. I'll take what I can get.) I'm a tad tired this morning, nothing crazy. I woke up for some reason at 4:30 a.m. this morning--could be becuz of the big yellow moose, I mean lab, that leaped into bed with me?-- and realized that Daryl was not beside me. I wasn't surprised becuz I knew he had to go to work early so he was probably up and about already. I didn't hear a sound though and he wasn't in the computer room, bathroom, living room or kitchen (in my house, that's pretty much IT) and finally I saw the basement light on.

Could he be doing laundry at 4:30 in the morning? No, not likely. I shuffled to the top step in my slippers.

"Daryl? What are you doing down there?" I called down the stairs. He appeared with his electric razor in hand, tufts of hair at his feet.

"Shaving my head. Why?"

Only Daryl would be shaving his head at 4:30 in the morning. I laughed and went back to bed where Tucker proceeded to dive-bomb into bed with me, laying his head on Daryl's pillow. Zzzzzz....

So, not that I'm trying to make this post all about my dog, but, Tucker made me laugh a couple of times today. Later on in the morning as I was getting ready for work and just stepping out of the shower, I heard a thump. The only one home with me were the animals so a *thump* is never a good sign. I went out in the living room to find my pocket book upturned on the carpet with the insides laying all around Tucker's big yellow paws. He looked up at me innocently until I yelled at him and then he high-tailed out of there. I saw a piece of paper on the floor, with nibble marks and paper confetti strewn around it, with an address written on it...an address I'd been SEARCHING high and low for...for days.

Thanks to the blond-nibbler, my newest detective, he'd found that address...thankfully he had only chewed AROUND the address and I could still read it.

Anyway, on another doggie-side note, when Tucker was a puppy and Daryl was potty-training him to go outside, I told D I wanted him to use a key phrase, something that Tucker would know what he was supposed to do, like "Do your business" or "Go Potty" or something.

What does my darling D train the dog to respond to, you ask?

"Tucker, bombs away!"

Imagine my embarrassment, as I huddled in my back yard in the middle of that winter (and just to give you a visual, my neighbors houses are pretty much all on top of each other so that I could easily see into five other backyards around my own, and where voices carry quite well) waiting impatiently for my young pup to realize we were out in the cold and the dark to DO OUR BUSINESS (not play and sniff and explore), whispering frantically as loud as I dare, "Tucker, bombs away! Bombs away, damnit!"

Yes, at that moment and many others, I wanted to beat Daryl senseless.

Jump ahead now to today--about two (and a half?) years later--huddling on my back sun porch, running extremely late for work, leaning out the door as rain poured down by the bucketful, waiting for my dogs to finish up their business as I impatiently called out to them, "Hur--ry up!"

Thankfully, Daisy is a little prima-donna who only likes to get wet on her terms (in bath tubs or mud puddles on a sunny day). She's not into rainy days so five seconds later she came bolting in. Now cut to my blond bomber, who was just strutting around the muddy backyard without a care in the world, curiously--yet patiently--sniffing and lifting his leg to every bush, stick or rock he found suitable.

"Hurry up, Tuck! Do your business!" He shot me casual, blase look my way--and then back to sniffing. I looked around quickly--no neighbors in sight. I sighed in defeat. Used a phrase I have not really thought about in well over two years and had up until thus far, refused to use once he was trained.

"Tuck, bombs away, buddy! Bombs away!"

He cocked his head and gave me that dopey, loveable labrador grin (you know the one I mean), then took off running to the fence line in our yard, circled twice and immediately squatted.

We have a winner, folks!!

Remind me later to smack D upside the head, though.

9 comments:

Poltzie said...

I LOVE labs. We always had them growing up and they are just the most loyal, friendly happy puppies ever!

Keri said...

Ozzie loved to sleep in bed on m's side... till he puked on M's foot.. than he was only allowed in bed when M was away. But boy he had bad gas some nights..lol.
Bomb's away - too funny... Ozzie had 'do your business' or 'go to the wall' (cause he would jump up on a little wall we have and pee all over the trees up there.)

Amy said...

At least it works. "Hurry up" or "do your business" or even "for god's sake I know you have to go so just GO already" never work with mine.

Cecily R said...

They really are like your kids aren't they? That's so cool! I can totally tell you adore them!

And D shaving his head in the middle of the night? So something Jon would do!! Why? Not a clue, but he would.

Big D said...

first of all BOMBS AWAY is so freaking funny that it made 4 guys I work with die laughing today After I heard the story, I use that phrase anytime I want him to go and Im in a rush. And I needed a haircut so I wanted to do it before I showered and it was actually 4:20 am

ALF said...

Tucker is so cute. I was to squeeze his face!

OHmommy said...

We should have gotten a lab.

Our weiner dogs are.... well... not so put together. :)

Grandy said...

Sounds like Tucker is Da Bomb alright. ;)

Scott said...

Hahahahah! That was a good story. Daryl sounds like a cool guy for making that the phrase!