Sunday, March 30, 2008

I'm ending the weekend on a happy note. Part of it being that I don't have to go to work tomorrow of course...but really the MAIN reason being I have the best friends and family (and future in-laws!) in the world! They all made me feel very special yesterday and I could not have asked for a better bridal shower. (long post with pics to follow!)

I have to admit, when I first walked into the hall where the bridal shower was taking place, and everyone started to clap, part of me wanted to run into the kitchen and hide. LOL The pressure of being the center of attention of forty people! Of course before we walked in, as I shook with nervousness, Daryl sweetly reminded me, "Get over it. How are you going to feel being the center of attention in front of the HUNDRED people at our wedding?" Good point. So I shook off the nerves and began my hugging-circuit. Flashbulbs started popping and I was suddenly a celebrity. Thankfully, Michele almost-immediately stuck a fresh glass of delicious, and much needed, vino into my shaky grip, and I was off and running. Is this how famous people live?
There was food!!! (I probably ate 3 meatballs, and two tortilla chips, as I chatted with everyone and made my rounds. There was so much more food I wanted to dive into but no time, people, no time!)
There were lots of family members! And incredibly cute cousins...these are D's cousins who will be our flower girls.......and now my cutie-pie cousins...


There were gifts!! (Lots and lots of gifts...I almost felt guilty to be receiving so much. It was unbelievable the generosity of everyone! Thank goodness my Big D was still hiding out in the kitchen, talking with the only other man there, my matron of honor's father Ray who was cooking, so when a certain gift I knew would catch Daryl's fancy was opened--I immediately turned my head and shouted to him in the kitchen to look. Oh, and Big D made sure to pose with some of the girls, as well, of course!)

There was wine!!! (Lots and lots more wine...my glass kept magically refilling or topping off as I attempted to take a sip...I know Keri and Michele were behind at least 1, possibly 2, of those refills. Heh!)
There was dead batteries in my camera!!! (So pretty much anything after this point I will rely on copies from my friends who were busily snapping away! I'll post those another day...)

There was a game! (There was supposed to be another game but this one game took up more time and was so much more entertaing for everyone, obviously. It was called, "How well does April know Daryl??" For every correct answer I got a hershey kiss; for every wrong answer I had to pop in another piece of chewing gum. I'm happy to report my kiss pile far outweighed the wad of gum in my mouth by the end of the game. )

And then there was delicious carrot cake!! And Death by Chocolate! (And I did make sure to eat a quantity of both!)

Afterwards, a few of us girls went to a nearby bar for a couple of drinks...I was then driven home and greeted by this, where I proceeded to cry about said generosity of all my friends and family (the booze also helped fuel those emotions):

And then my lovely D proceeded to drag my drunk ass to his grandmother's house where his mom and step-dad were staying the weekend (they are from out of town) and we had pizza for dinner while I struggled (terribly) to appear completely sober. Do you think they noticed anything?

Today, Sunday, I was a busy little beaver. While I heavily caressed and drooled over one of my favorite gifts (this one from Michele).......and Big D made us yummy home-made lattes from one of my OTHER favorites gifts...
...I completed ALL OF MY THANK-YOU CARDS!!! And used another one of our gifts, personalized stamps. Stamps with mine and Big D's faces on them! How cool is that???
So the bottom line is, we had a wonderful day and we couldn't be happier for the fantabulous people in our lives who care so much about us.

Life is good.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm glad you are having a great time!! :)

krissy said...

You looked so cute and happy! What a great shower.

Tick-tock....your getting closer to a new last name. Woo-hoo!

I wish I was able to come!

Steph said...

Oh that sounds and looks like a blast, I am so glad you had a good time! And look at you Ms. On top of things getting all your thank you notes finished!!!!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you had a great week. Cool! Such fun! And you will not notice anyone except D on the day. It will be as if those 100 guests weren't even there, until you are on your way out. Then you are going to GRIN at every one of them! It is the most awesome feeling! Enjoy every second 'cuz it goes fast.

Mommychicky said...

Oooh, fab mixer - I just love mine... I know what you mean about not liking the center of attention thing, you should see the pictures of me at my showers (I had not one, but two bridal showers) - I look like a deer in headlights. Kudos on getting all your thank-yous done and I'm sure no one noticed your drunken state ;)

Driving With the Brakes On said...

What fun! I too hated being the center of attention, and Stephanie is right - on the big day you won't notice anyone but D. I can't believe how close you are getting!

~**Dawn**~ said...

Look at all those amazing gifts! It's overwhelming to see such physical proof of how much you are loved isn't it? =)

And check you out with all your thank you notes done already!

ALF said...

sounds like a wonderful shower - makes me realize that I never did a post about my shower...

Cecily R said...

Oh, you look adorable in the middle of all your gifts!! You deserve all that generosity!

I'm the same way about being the center of attention. It freaks me out to have to open presents in front of people!!

Robyn said...

I'm glad the shower went great. I get all nervous in front of a bunch of people too. You got a Kitche Aid Mixer, holy cats, I love mine. Those stamps are so neat, whoever invented those...