Friday, March 21, 2008

Welcome to Laba-palooza!
The big ham-bone on the left is Luke. Our Tucker is on the right.


This goes along with Big D's "oh my god what have I done?" post. Heh heh.

We are currently dog-sitting for 3-year old labbie, Luke. This was entirely Daryl's doing, as he is the one who volunteered our fabulous dog-watching services. (At that point, I sweetly reminded him of Luke's penchant for pooping on the living room carpet. He immediately told our friend, "We'll still do it, but you need to bring a crate/cage for him to go in when we're not home." Now, let me explain...we could probably fit an elephant into this cage that is now smooshed unceremoniously into our tiny computer room along with Tucker and Daisy's own cages.)


This illustrious Lab-loving was to start the Friday of Easter weekend. You know, Easter? When we have company coming over for dinner??


Sweet.

About an hour after Luke's owner left, Daryl turned to me and quietly said, "I think I made a big mistake."

A little bit about Luke...he is a very sweet, monstrous (i.e. overweight) blond muffin who has almost no self-control and must lick/sniff/nibble-bite everything and everyone in sight all the while continually pace, pace, pacing and pant, pant, panting. Seriously. In his defense, he does not get enough attention at home...his place in the family was forever impacted by the birth of our friend's first child. And unfortunately the Mommy is not a dog-person to begin with. So poor Lukey is lacking in attention, affection AND exercise.

He may not realize it yet (or after last night, maybe he has?) but he has entered a whole new realm....a Doggie-Bootcamp of sorts. One where he will constantly be told to "sit" "lay down" and "stay" until he gets it right. A place where butt-sniffing followed by nibbling roughly on Tuckers nose is not acceptable every two minutes (and I am not putting all the blame on Luke for this one...Tucker is the KING of butt-sniffers.)

But all is not lost. This bootcamp will have its perks. His foster Mommy for the next five days has already committed to going out on her lunch break to buy Mr. Luke his very own rope toy (he has no toys at home). Also, as eluded to in D's post, there will be insane amounts of exercise in the backyard starting tonight, followed by a good 'ol belly rub and ear scratch on the living room floor. I have high hopes that we can salvage this crazy arrangement before D pulls out what's left of his shaved hair and I lock myself, blubbering insanely, in the bedroom to escape.

Fingers crossed, 'kay?


P.S. Don't forget to read my last post and ask me a question!!!

11 comments:

Chele76 said...

yikes! I dind't realize it was LUKE! lol

April said...

Yep. It's Luke, all right. LOL

Melissa said...

Wow, it's like sending Luke to obedience school! Nice and it's even free!

Good luck with that! ;)

krissy said...

OMG.....I want to kiss those doggies. I love the pics!

Poltzie said...

Can my dogs come over for boot camp?

ALF said...

you're good friends to dog sit!

Robyn said...

doggie boot camp. lol. Though my dog could probably use it. He was dragging on the last walk I took him on.

Grandy said...

Wow...that's quite the undertaking. I've done it with two labs before, just over a weekend. YIKES!!

Rhea said...

Doggy boot camp, I love it! I love labs!! We have one who is just a big sweetheart, part of our family.

By the way, when do you plan on answering those questions in your other post? I left one...

Dan Mega said...

Crush up a sleeping pill and mix it with some meat. That'll learn the dog.

I mean, don't do it, thats inhumane.

Zoe said...

awww. i feel bad for luke. no toys???