Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm sure you've all heard the saying, "Pennies from Heaven."

Well to me, pennies that I find are just that, a special "hello" and a gift from my father in heaven.

I think I've mentioned the story in a previous post about how, when Dad knew he was dying we sat down and had a wonderful, emotional, and so-needed heart to heart with each other. Saying "I love you", was something my family just didn't do and that I think we took for granted, yet him and I said it multiple times to each other that day.

I remember sitting side by side on the couch, legs touching, hands clasped, listening to him tell me how proud he was of the woman I had become and giving me advice for life, simple but so true and words he lived by, "April, just be nice to people." Yes, my dad was one of the nicest people I've ever known.

I asked him that day, kind of half-laughing as I said it, "Dad, after you die, can you try to show me a sign that you're still with me??" He thought for a moment and then finally replied, "All I can say is to look for pennies from heaven, and you'll know it's me saying hello." Such a simple gesture. Pennies, something we find every single day on the pavement, in our house, buried in couch cushions, at the bottom of our purse.

Well a few weeks after Dad passed, I left work one long, hard and emotionally draining day and there sitting on top of my parked vehicle, on the roof of my car were two shiny pennies. I gasped in surprise and quickly looked around, but the strange part was, I hadn't told anyone this story at this point. I'd kept it to myself. After that I started to find pennies in the most random of places. And often times when I needed a hug or something to cheer me up.

At the ceremony on Saturday morning, I have one member of our bridal party reading a poem. It's a special poem that Big D and I heard about a year ago. It was recited by a father, addressed to his daughter, in the movie "Must Love Dogs." When I watched this particular scene and heard the poem and the words, it touched me. I didn't tell Daryl anything as we listened to it but I silently cried as I sat on the couch, watching this scene play out. Inside, in my heart, I felt almost as if my father was giving me his "blessing" to marry Daryl through this obscure penny-reference in this scene between a father and a daughter. After the movie ended, I remember Daryl jumped up without a word and ran into the computer room. I could hear the rapid-fire clicking of his typing fingers and wondered curiously to myself what he was doing. A few minutes later, he called out from the computer room, "That poem from the movie? I found it online. It's a pretty poem and it made me think of your dad." I, of course, started to bawl my eyes out. And to thank God for sending me such an observant, loving man into my life who appreciates and understands the special bond shared between a daughter and her Daddy.

So, Dad, thank you for your blessing to marry the love of my life. I'm dedicating this poem to both of you:


BROWN PENNY

By: William Butler Yeats

I WHISPERED, “I am too young,”
And then, “I am old enough”;
Wherefore I threw a penny
To find out if I might love.

“Go and love, go and love, young man,
If the lady be young and fair.”
Ah, penny, brown penny, brown penny,
I am looped in the loops of her hair.

O love is the crooked thing,
There is nobody wise enough
To find out all that is in it,
For he would be thinking of love

Till the stars had run away
And the shadows eaten the moon.
Ah, penny, brown penny, brown penny,
One cannot begin it too soon.

15 comments:

Krystyn said...

How sweet! It's perfect!

Have a great time! Enjoy your day.

Stephanie said...

That post made me cry. That is so special. You should put one of the pennies in your shoe on your wedding day. I did for mine - but that was for a family tradition for luck.

Heather said...

amazing

i also had a penny in my shoe!

~**Dawn**~ said...

That is just beautiful, April.

Stephanie said...

How amazing. God gives us what we need, and I wouldn't be surprised if you find a penny on your wedding day.

Rhea said...

What a special, wonderful poem to celebrate your loving reltionship with your father and your hubby. I love it! Very sweet post. I wish you the best this weekend!!

Poltzie said...

I'm so glad that you found another sweet and caring man to protect you!
That was beautiful!

Robyn said...

Aw that is awesome.
I liked that "just be nice to people."

Grandy said...

Oh crap! I'm crying again. First time was me... this time I blame you.

Thanks for sharing hon!

If we don't see you before...HAVE FUN AT THE WEDDING!!! ;)

We know you're covered for the honemoon, right D?

Cecily R said...

Oh you are so sweet! I love the poem and it's just perfect for you and your dad.

Have so SO much fun at your wedding!! I'll be thinking of you guys!

jules said...

So sweet!!

SUN,SUN,SUN!!!
Emily & I are doing the Sun dance for you guys tomorrow!!!
:) Have a blast!!!!!!!

ALF said...

That is so sweet.

Less than a day until your wedding. Congratulations!

jessica said...

that is so very cool. tears in my eyes. :) hugs to you!

Melissa said...

Today is your big day! I hope that you have the perfect wedding and that you take LOTS of pictures!!

Melek said...

this is probably the first blog post of someone i dont know in real life that actually made me cry. how wonderful that you have that with your dad.