Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mmmmm....cupcakes...

Big D and I opted to do a cupcake wedding cake as neither of us is really big on cake, but we both puffy-heart cupcakes in a big way (both pics are just something I pulled off the internet so you get an idea...it's not necessarily what ours will look like). It's going to be very simple, yet pretty, with vanilla flavored cupcakes and vanilla frosting dyed a light blue (to tie in with our brown and blue theme). The lady we spoke to at the venue asked us to bring in some of the flowers (that we would be using on the wedding day) to spice up the cupcake arrangement but I informed her that we have already had our bouquets made (by the lovely Keri...for pictures, see below!) out of artificial flowers. And we are not doing flower centerpieces (we have candle centerpieces)...hence no leftover flowers to play with.

Before I could even open my mouth to try to figure out a solution, Big D piped in that he would gladly go to a florist and get fresh flowers and drop them off at the venue Friday so they could be used to decorate our cupcakes. My mouth fell open in surprise. I started to say something but D interrupted with, "Nope, this is my thing. Don't you worry about it, April. I'll take care of it."

What a sweet boy!! He knows I've been ready to pull my hair out the past couple of days having to deal with all the "little" details and so he offered to take this extra detail on to spare me. I am so appreciative!!

Of course, even though he is taking this task on for me, being a woman, I need to try to "control" it. Heh heh. I've already told him the flowers MUST be blue (the lady at the venue suggested we bring in roses but my first picky thought was "Hmmm...nope, don't want roses. They won't match." LOL So cute Big D did some investigating to try to find BLUE roses (I didn't know they made such an animal? I am not your typical girly-girl when it comes to flowers...I don't know much about them except, "Ooh! Pretty!") but that is way too expenisve and time-consuming. So I told him just to find me blue flowers and I'll be happy. The florist he called now wants a swatch of what color blue...so now I'm off to investigate. I'm really not very picky (compared to some other bridezilla's I've known) so any light blue color will do for me. And we still have a couple of brown butterflies left (that were used on the bouquets) so I'll probably ask them to put those on the display as well.





Here is a finished bridesmaid bouquet, complete with two butterflies.







Here is kind of a top view of the same bouquet.








A jumble of blooms! Here are all the bouquets together on my dresser, ready to go!

23 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

I totally love the cupcake idea!!

tricki_nicki said...

I love cupcakes too, they're so cute and different. Everyone's going to love them!

And girl, how are you finding time to BLOG when you're about to get MARRIED?? I'm glad you are though, this is going to make a very cool wedding journal!

April said...

Believe me, I'm only able to blog cuz I'm at work LOL...come TOMORROW and on though, my blogs will be scarce. But what a great idea Nicki...a wedding journal! I could print them out and put them in a nice hard cover journal of some sort!

~**Dawn**~ said...

Hey, April. There are sites that will print all or just parts of your blog & bind it in actual book form. The one I am most familiar with is Blurb!

Chele76 said...

yea - happy flowers. It's all coming together so nicely for you! saturday is truely going to be a wonderful day. :)

April said...

Dawn-that's AWESOME! Thanks for that info! I'm going to check into it.

Michele- I. CAN'T. WAIT!!!!!!! :-)

Steph said...

What a totally cool idea, it is like having your very own personal wedding cake, I love it!!!

Krystyn said...

Love the cupcake idea, too (I'm not a cake person, but hubby is).

The flowers look great!

Melissa said...

Mmmmm, cupcakes!! You are getting so close now!

Stephanie said...

The flowers look amazing! I can't wait to see all your pictures.

Yum...I also puffy heart cupcakes!

Motherhood for Dummies said...

oh LOVE that idea! I bet it is a lot cheaper too!

Poltzie said...

We had a cupcake tower too and I loved it!
Keri did a GREAT job - it's going to be a wonderful day :)

Kori said...

I want a cupcake! The flowers are awesome. Love the colors. YOur wedding is so gonna rock!

photogirl218 said...

GO BIG D! What a good man! See ya tomorrow girlfriend!!!

ALF said...

We did cupcakes as well - people loved it!

Happy almost wedding!

jules said...

Cupcakes are cool!!
Flowers look great!!!
Hoping for Sun, Sun, Sun!!!
Happy Nuptials!!!
Happy Happy Honeymoon!!!

OHmommy said...

You are brilliant. Wish I thought of cupcakes! YUMMY!

Robyn said...

I love the cupcakes. Who doesn't love cupcakes?! The bouquets look great, I had fake ones too. I love that I will always have my bouquet.

Melek said...

i love the cupcake cake! my friend had them at her wedding and they were a big hit.

and love that Big D volunteered for flower duty! :)

gettin close now! good luck!

Taj said...

The cupcake idea is fabulous! Your wedding is going to be lovely.

Stephanie said...

I love the colors. I love the cupcakes. And I wish I had thought to do silk flowers instead of real. We tried to dry my bouquet, but it fell apart. Oh well. I will hope for a great day for you, and a good marriage.

Heather said...

i have always loved the cupcake idea.
can't wait to see pictures of your big day!

jessica said...

loving the brown and blue :) congrats to you!!! it's coming together so well.