Saturday, May 10, 2008

Now for the good news! My Grammie went to her radiation oncologist the other day and learned her prognosis is not so bleak after all! (Damn that first doctor for scaring the utter shit out of all of us.)

Her cancer is stage 3, not stage 4. Yes I realize that this is not excellent, stage 3, but stage 3 is a helluva lot better than stage 4. Secondly, unlike what her first doctor told her, the cancer has not spread to all of her lymph nodes in her body. Just the lymph nodes in her neck! Much more manageable! So, while her oncologist could not make any promises, he told her there was a good chance to treat this damn cancer! Yay!

She will still have to do both radiation and chemo. She will lose her hair. During chemo she'll lose her taste buds. Her mouth will completely dry out and be cotton-mouth for the rest of her life. She might have to wear a feeding tube for a while (something to do with the treatment for the cancer at the back of her tongue.) She will get very sick and puke-y. She will lose weight.

But it's not the death sentence her first doctor led us all to believe!!


We all have very high hopes about Grammie's prognosis now. I'm not naive, I know there is always the chance that this cancer will kill her. But now I'm feeling more optimistic about everything and not so quick to automatically assume the words. Fingers crossed.

Optimism is good.

13 comments:

Poltzie said...

Wonderful news! I'm so happy for you :)

Amy said...

That's good news! It's better to have gotten awful news, followed by better, rather than the other way around!

Law Student Hot Mama said...

What fabulous news! And a great wedding present a little early!!!

krissy said...

Yes....that is excellent news.

Damn that stupid doctor for stressing the hell outta everyone. Kick him in his man grapes for me! K?

Chele76 said...

that is such wonderful news to hear! I am so happy for you :)

Rhea said...

I'm so glad the prognosis is better than believed before! YAY!! I wish your granny lots of luck and love.

Melissa said...

Yea, good news. My grandma had thyroid cancer and she did both chemo and radiation. While it was very hard on her she did manage to make it through treatment and then live another 10 years....I hope your grandma has the same luck and lives until she is ready to go!!

Kori said...

That is Wonderful news. I am so happy that it's not as serious as they made you guys believe. I hate when that happens. I will keep Grammie in my prayers. God Bless you guys.

snowflake said...

I'm thrilled to hear the good news! A positive attitude is the best medicine for fighting cancer. My dad is 84 - he had type 4 cancer - very aggressive. He fought it. His cancer has been in remission for three years now. Sending positive thoughts to you and your grandmother.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Hope & optimism are wonderful gifts. I am *so* happy you got some good news about your Grammie. =)

Stephanie said...

That is such wonderful news. I am so happy for you. Optimism is an incredible thing!

Heather said...

Such good news for you all. I will keep praying none the less for you all!

Grandy said...

Oh a bit of a relief indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family (especially Grammie) as she begins her treatment. I know it will be difficult, but she sounds like she's got a good support system. :)