Thursday, June 12, 2008


Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek




In honor of Father's Day in a couple of days, this next Photostory Friday picture of mine is appropriately of...my Daddy. And since there is no way I can narrow it down to just one...here are some of my favorites and a brief description of each:






My handsome father served his country and made his parents and family (and country) proud.



















Here he is March 6, 1976 (coincidentally the day my Big D was BORN) after marrying the love of his life, my mom.








I was a total Daddy's Girl, from the very start. My mom tells me how excited and eager my Dad was to be a father. Each Christmas Eve, he would stay up till the wee hours putting together mine (and my brother's) gifts that required assembly. And Christmas morning, he was like a big kid himself. I remember each Christmas, Dad would start his coffee, and Mom's tea, and we weren't allowed to get out of bed until Mom (the later riser) was up. By this point, my brother had hopped into my bed and we lay giggling and eager in the darkness (cuz it was always like 5 or 6am!), listening to Dad rustle around until we heard him bellow, "April! Sean! It's Christmas!" and out we'd race in our pajama-stocking-ed feet where Dad waited, camera in hand.



Below on the left is my father on his 30th birthday, and on the right is me on my 30th. I wanted to somewhat recreate his picture with each of our chocolate cakes, "3-0" candles and our big Smith-smiles and dark brown eyes.














My Dad was a character all right. He was friendly and outgoing, loved to talk, could recite random facts like an encyclopedia (we always said he should have tried out for Jeopardy!), he loved to make elaborate weekend breakfasts with eggs, home fries and toast--cooking was a passion of his, he always took us kite-flying on breezy spring days, and hiking at Sleeping Giant in the balmy summer months, helped us create forts in our playroom made out of sheets and pillows, built us a kick-ass tree house, was the comforting hand on the back of my bicycle as I learned how to ride it, sang his heart out to Queen, Meatloaf and the Beatles, made us a roomful of helium balloons one day in the living room and danced through the strings with us, took us trick-or-treating every single year until we were too old (my last year was when I was 12 or 13 and none of my friends would go so my mom and Dad walked with me!), religiously video-taped and photographed every dance recital of mine and little league game of my brother's, showed me how to laugh and be polite, taught me to "respect my elders"and "don't talk back to your mother", watched me learn how to drive (although I'm sure it scared the crap outta him!) and receive my high school diploma and dropped me off at my college dorm, his full grown daughter. Dad taught me how to live.







With his favorite bird, Cinnamon, who we had to find a new home for once her bird dander was too much for his cancer-filled lungs.











Daddy and his firstborn, his Chicky-Babe.
















One of the last pictures ever taken of my Daddy. About seven months later, his body would leave us and his soul would fly.

Happy Father's Dad! You will always be (as you survive in my memories) the perfect example of what the word "father" truly means!! I love you!

33 comments:

Head Gaggler said...

What a beautiful post. Those shots are priceless.

MamaGeek said...

HG is right. Those shots truly are beyond words and are priceless. Your Dad sounds beautiful and I'd bet he'd be SO proud of this beautiful tribute. Perfect PSF story, wow.

Kel said...

You fathere sounds like a wonderful man - you were a very blessed woman to have a father like this in your life.
~K

Indrani said...

A wonderful tribute to your father!

Alexandria said...

What a fantastic post. It's a beautiful tribute to him.

Poltzie said...

April that is so sweet. What a nice way to remember your father!

jules said...

That was truly beautiful!!
Sounds like you and your father had a wonderful relationship.
Your a lucky girl :)

Kellan said...

What a beautiful tribute to your special dad - and, he was soooooo handsome a man!

Take care and have a good day - Kellan

kittyconcerto.com said...

I'll bet your dad is smiling wherever he is. What a sweet way to remember him. I loved all the photos. Thanks for sharing them with us too.

Rhea said...

What a wonderful, loving post!

Stephanie said...

This post made me cry. What a wonderful tribute to your father. I'm sure he is so honored and proud of you...

My bloglines has not updated and I had no idea you had posted! Now I'm off to read your other ones I missed :(

Don Mills Diva said...

From one Daddy's girl to another - that was a beautiful, touching post. I love that shot of you together when you were a child.

Stephanie said...

Okay, you made me cry. I wish I had such a great relationship with my Dad. You have been blessed.

Driving With the Brakes On said...

What wonderful pictures, beautiful words, and amazing sentiments! Your Dad was quite handsome, and is no doubt extrememly proud of the young woman that you have become.

Cecily R said...

Ah, April. I knew Father's Day would bring a wonderful post abbout your wonderful Daddy. This is perfect. I know he's watching over you and that he knows how my much you love him and miss him.

Killlashandra said...

Those are all wonderful images and what a great story to go with them all.

Jenty said...

Gorgeous post, what a lovely tribute to your dad.

carrie & troy keiser said...

Beautiful post/tribute to your father.o

Alicia said...

Man, you can make a pregnant lady cry! :)

Those pictures are so beautiful. Your Father is handsome.

Amazing.

Pinky said...

What a lovely way to honor your dad. Looking at those shots makes me think back to my childhood. We're lucky to have wonderful daddy's.

Jaina said...

What a beautiful post...I'm wiping away tears. Happy Father's Day to your dad, he sounds like he was a really great man.
Thanks for stopping by my blog, I hope you "see" you soon.

Big D said...

Ah yes from what I understand he was a great man, one I would have loved to met. But we will visit him on sunday!! Love you apes

Robyn said...

I feel like I know him now. Great Post!!!!

Casey's trio said...

Oh April, what a touching tribute to your dad. Very touching.

krissy said...

That was a tear jerker. I miss your daddy and I never met him.

Sorry that this is going to be a hard day for you. Your in my thoughts.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Girl, I think you need to start passing out tissues at the start of your posts.

Toni said...

So glad that you have all those photos and memories of your dad. What a treasure...

Melissa said...

I think your dad would love that he is still such a big part of your thoughts and life!!

Happy Father's Day to you Daddy. I'm sure he's looking down on you and D and smiling his biggest smile!

And I'm glad Kellan said it...your dad was a hottie ;)

lingovise said...

Thank you for sharing such an intimate look at your father. A beautiful tribute for everyone to enjoy. Thank you!

angie said...

What a perfect photo story friday! I really enjoyed it. I can't stop laughing at your profile......that you live in craptown, Conn. That's how I felt about the city I lived in in MA.....Worcester. Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog and comment. I look forward to reading more......

Steph said...

What a great post about your Dad, I can see that you 2 had a huge bond! I am sure he is looking down on you smiling.

Mary said...

What a touching post! I love that he taught you how to really live. Dad's can be good that way, can't they? Great pictures!

Flea said...

What a tribute to your dad. He sounds wonderful. So glad you have such great memories of him to hold onto. I loved the one you just wrote, as well, the one graveside. Sounds like Big D truly is your soul mate. You are so blessed. :)