Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Our first date.

Two hours alone in the truck, you driving, me sneaking sideways glances at you, both on the way to the Norman Rockwell Museum and back. You talked and talked and I thought, “Man, I love the sound of his voice.” You smiled at me and it made me break out in fleshy goosebumps, dancing like little ballerinas along my skin. We got out of the truck and started across the icy parking lot and you held out your arm for me, so that I wouldn’t slip and fall. “A gentleman.” I thought, pleased. Inside, I gazed intently at the paintings and out of the corner of my eye, saw you gazing just as intently at me. My heart fluttered like butterfly wings. We ate dinner and I devoured my entire cheeseburger in front of you, not even thinking as I normally did on first dates, “Am I eating too much? Do I look like a pig?” I batted my eyes at you and felt more beautiful than I ever had felt before. Sitting beside you on the stool in front of the waterfall bar, listing to the sound of the water crashing down, the melodic roar of voices all around us, and feeling like we were completely alone in our own cocoon. Just you and I. Pretending I didn’t see you studying me, smiling, I people-watched a bit and laughed softly in my head. “You have beautiful eyes.” You told me and I swear, I almost melted off the barstool into a sloppy puddle at your feet. No one had ever told me that before. On the ride back home, as night tickled the sky with its black-tipped paint brush, you gently grabbed my hand. Your big callused thumb stroked, feather-soft and light as a child’s touch, against the inside of my palm and my heart started to thump a mad dance of delight in my chest. Back home, your lips on mine, I thought, “I could get lost in his kiss.” Your arms around me, I never wanted to let go.

Almost three years later, I can still get lost in that kiss.

Thank you for loving me the way you do.

19 comments:

Sarah said...

that is so sweet girl! heehee

~**Dawn**~ said...

Awww! ::sniffle:: You were destined for a fairy tale right from the start. =)

jules said...

Isn't it the best feeling of being with the one you were meant to be with. A comfort, like no other.

photogirl218 said...

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

Poltzie said...

Aww, isn't love the most amazing thing!

Kel said...

awe...that is so sweet! I can feel the love from here!!
~K

Keri said...

Your words brought back the first tingle i felt for M... I hope in 18 yrs from now you still feel that same tingle i do for M.

beth said...

A beautiful post and a wonderful story to have recorded for the future.

Robyn said...

Aw, sweet story.

Kimmylyn said...

This was so beautiful!!

OHmommy said...

You are so incredibly sweet and beautiful. I puffy heart it all.

Kellan said...

What a sweet love letter. I love hearing about couples that are so much in love - good for you. Take care - Kellan

Steph said...

Oh how sweet, what a great gy Bid D is

Kori said...

THis is just precious. You guys are the cutest I swear.

kittyconcerto.com said...

*sigh* I love a good romance!

Melissa said...

I'm with Keri, it brought back the beginning of my time with Joe...and since that is 14 years ago now, thanks for the reminder!

Isn't it amazing to have someone feel like that for you!!

Rhea said...

What a sweeeeeeet post!! Awwww.

Stephanie said...

I love these feelings! What a sweet post ;)

Jaina said...

Wow, so beautifully written. Congratulations! You sound so incredibly happy :)