Monday, June 02, 2008

So I left work early today (due to a horrendous stomach ache) and got home around one p.m. I decided since I was home, it was a good time to get some laundry done. It looks like a clothing landfill in my basement. Literally, I stand at the top of the stairs and pitch handfuls of laundry into the the air to land haphazardly at the bottom of the steps in our unfinished basement. If Big D would just build me a laundry chute in the hall closet, my laziness wouldn't matter.

But, anyway, back to the subject at hand. I went down into the basement and immediately smelled something.
"Oh, crap." I said out loud, remembering that i had started a load of laundry the day before and forgotten to switch it over so it had been sitting in the washing room all night. Without taking any of the clothing out, I threw more detergent in and started it up to re-wash. An hour later, I headed back down into the basement, wrinkling my nose at the same smell from earlier. I opened up the washing machine lid and began to take each item out one at a time, sticking each wet garment against my face to smell it. most of the stuff smelled okay, but one pair of pants smelled exceptionally...musky, for lack of a better word.
"Weird, I washed it again." I thought ot myself and shrugged and continued throwing everything into teh dryer (except for a couple of items that I hung up to dry on my clothes-rack-thingy...otherwise known as clothes-horse.l Heh. That was for you, 'Chele.) Anyway, out of the corner of my eye, I saw one more small dark-colored shape left in the washer. Thinking it was a pair of undies or a black sock, I started to quickly reach in to scoop it out. Something registered with my brain that the object was not undies or a sock.



CAN ANYONE GUESS WHAT WAS IN MY WASHING MACHINE??





No???






Are you curious, yet???







Keep scrolling....








Just as my fingers were about to curl around the object, a sudden dawning wave of revulsion washed over my me and I jumped back with a surprised cry.





"No, it can't be. it's probably just a cat toy." I tried to rationalize to myself. I crept the few steps back to the washing machine and hesitantly peeked over the open lid....











That was no freakin' cat toy.







That, my friends, was a now very clean (two cycles-clean!)and very dead field mouse who had hitched a suicidal ride into my washing machine by way of a pile of clothes laying on the basement floor. As I thought about how close I came to scooping that little furry vermin into my clean little fingers, I let out a disgusted noise and took one final peek.


Needless to say, the laundry waited till Big D got home from work. Mouse-busters to the rescue!!!
Note: We can't figure out where these bastards are coming in!! Time for some mouse-hunting....

20 comments:

Dan Mega said...

Poor mousie =(

Poltzie said...

Oh GAWD, I HATE rodents and the thought makes me sick. You are a brave woman to still be in your house (when we had mice I moved in with my parents and I still hate looking under the sink).

Melissa said...

Ack! I would have lost my mind..big spiders creep me out a dead though clean mouse would have sent me over the edge...blech!

~**Dawn**~ said...

AAAAGGGHHHHHH!

kittyconcerto.com said...

that poor mouse. that sounds like an awful death. although I would not want those guys running around in my house. good luck mouse hunting!

Krystyn said...

Ewwww....I totally didn't see that one coming.

I just did the leave the laundry for two days and it did smell, yuck!

Glad the found the source...but yuck!

Chele76 said...

omg how horrible!

Those kitties are SO fired!!!!

Kel said...

Ewwwe..that is so gross! But I'm with you, I don't touch those things to save my life. We fogged our garage attack the other day and ended up killing a few field mice, the hub had to get them out! (they should've stayed in the field!)
~K

Stephanie said...

Thank goodness you did not grab it before noticing what it was! GROSS! I would have let out a huge scream too! Ugh!!! Hopefully you find the source of the problem soon!

Keri said...

*shudder* ick ick ick !
but hey... atleast he was clean...
hope your undies weren't in with em!

Tranny Head said...

Ewww - don't do an exploration yourself - get an exterminator immediately! Mouse poo can make you sick! And EWWWWW for having him in the washing machine. At least he was a cute little field mouse and not a big old uber ick rat.

Steph said...

eww eww eww, that is why I have cats, thankfully they have never brought me a "prize" I agree with tranny get someone outthere to blast 'em out!

Chele76 said...

watch out... you don't want to get tagged for content. lol

jules said...

OMG!!! I would have died!
I love animals, and feel bad for the little mouse- But heck he should have stayed in his mouse house......

Don't you wish you could leave a sign at your door "Not accepting any(insert vermon of your choice)at this house, please move along to the next house"

Cecily R said...

Holy crap I would FA-REAK! I got the shudders just looking at your pictures.

Clothing landfill, hee heeeeee! I have one of those too!

Robyn said...

eew! I was thinking I hate when I forget my laundry overnight, but dead mouse stench, yucky!

krissy said...

As much as I feel sorry for the mouse I still feel squimish about that. Ick!

I guess it didn't know how to swim!

Taj said...

At least he went squeaky clean! Tose photos made me lean back from my screen. Not much I can't handle but something about rodents makes me queasy

April said...

So, a COUPLE THINGS....I DO have cats...lazy, good for nothing cats who obviously can't mouse-catch. LOL

Secondly, while I hate mousey in my house, I DO feel bad he died such a horrible wet death. But ya knwo what? I still don't want them in my house. LOL

Mommychicky said...

And you took pictures!!!! I'm cringing and gigglinb at the same time...