Thursday, June 05, 2008

Thank you guys for all your well-wishes yesterday...I appreciate it! Thankfully, today is a new day. I refuse to let work put me into that type of mood again.

Anyway, I'm glad it's almost Friday. I have a bunch of things to do this weekend...including celebrating my Mom's birthday! Her 54th b-day is actually Tuesday, June 10th, but we are having her over this Sunday for dinner and cake. Daryl is making yummy steaks on the grill and I will be baking her a homemade carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Plus I'm thinking of maybe taking her out before dinner (if the place is open) to get a pedicure. She got one for the first time ever before my wedding and is still raving about it! If they aren't going to be open on Sunday, I'll get her a gift certificate to go on her own. I know she'll appreciate it!

Big D and I have to finish our gardening this weekend. We started last weekend by purchasing a ton of vegetable plants and flowers. The flowers are now planted in our back yard (we need to do more research before I know what I can plant in front. It's in the shade almost the entire day. And I don't want just greenery, I really think we need some color out front. I'm SO not a green thumb though so I have no clue yet what to get! Any gardeners out there have a suggestion?).The flowers we purchased for the backyard (I can't remember some of the names...I told you I'm not a green thumb. I remember the common stuff like black eyed susans--my fav--and dahlias but we also got some beautiful red, blue, purple and yellow flowers) are supposed to be butterfly attracters...I scoffed at butterflies in my neighborhood but two days ago, I saw a butterfly in my backyard! I wanted to run in and grab my camera but it was too late and it swooped off. Big D still has to till his garden (I say "his" becuz that garden is his BABY in the summertime) and plant the vegetable plants as well. So far we have tomato plants (a couple different kinds), butternut squash, red peppers, eggplant, I think we grabbed some zucchini as well...oh and trying something new this year...we're planting watermelon and cantaloupe!! We still need to get my favorite yet, cucumbers, broccoli and some summer squash. I can't believe it's the beginning of June already! Where the heck is the time going???

Anyway, we're getting ready to begin work on our kitchen! We'll be ordering the cabinets this weekend and then we have to start picking out flooring, wall colors, etc. I'm very pumped. Our kitchen is so tiny that Uncle Rob said he can have it (cabinets, counter top, etc) finished in a day (once the cabinets are in) so I'm excited that we won't have to be without a kitchen for too long! Even if it took a whole weekend...I could totally deal with that. One of Daryl's coworkers used to be a plumber and said he can help us with the moving of the sink so that is another thing we'll have to coordinate. But OMG I'm getting so eager to have a nice kitchen!!! Our new fridge is great...I'm sure most of you are like, big whoopedy-do a new fridge, but it's a big deal to me and D. I guess that's what happens when you become grown-ups. You get excited about appliances and vacuums and fences. Ha! The fridge is perfect...it's large and is a side-by-side, with the PUR filtered water and ice cube maker in the door...for crazy water drinkers like us (I only drink water all day long...except for some coffee in the morning. No juice, no soda.) it makes life so much easier. We don't need to have fifty million water bottles crammed into the fridge nor do we have to buy two cases of water every five days or so like we were doing (our town water is DISGUSTING with a capital D). We love it! Anyway, I'm feeling antsy. I wish I could go home and start peeling down wallpaper from the kitchen walls...

7 comments:

ALF said...

Lately work has been making me want to run screaming into traffic.

Good luck with the garden. I'm hoping our tomatoes grow like crazy!

Poltzie said...

Oh, I'm super excited for you!
It's funny how appliances get exciting when you get old. I got a dyson handheld for my birthday and I love it - so lame!

Driving With the Brakes On said...

Ah, yes . . . appliance love. One of the many perks of getting older! I am so excited for your new kitchen - ours is still several years down the road, and I already can't wait!

As for the frontyard flowers . . . I have always had really good luck with impaitients (sp.?) in our shady areas. They are low maintenance, and spread quickly. I am currently doing 'research' for our backyard planter - I want to get it right so I don't have to bust the bank every year buying plants and flowers!

Kel said...

Good luck with the house stuff...
~K

Flea said...

Shade - hostas have a gorgeous variegated leaf and send up pretty purple flowers on tall stalks. They love shade. Bleeding hearts love shade and are delicate and pretty. Oh! Violets! And they'll spread and make pretty ground cover, with their heart shaped leaves. And columbine are pretty.

kittyconcerto.com said...

yuuuuuuumy, I can taste Big D's grilled snacks already. Ok ok so I've never tasted them, but it sounds good. I'm clearly hungry.

Ok I re-read this comment and realized how naughty it sounds. HAHA. no offense. =)

Robyn said...

You are going to have one huge garden. The pedicure sound great for your Mom, which reminds me I've been meaning to send out some flowers to my Grandma.