Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Well I'm trying to figure out ways to de-stress and relax. After the year and a half of nonstop wedding planning stress, mixed in with financial worries and a dash of family drama...now I've added into the mix the anxiousness I feel about trying to conceive.

And when I'm stressed out, I get horrible stomach aches. That's how my body deals. Best friends with the bathroom. Ugh. Nice, huh? So after my day-long stomach ache yesterday (from the moment I woke up to when I went to sleep) I had HAD enough. So my new focus is going to be on relaxing my mind and body, eating better (and maybe that will help diminish the stomach aches) and getting myself in shape and prime-baby-making condition (and less worry about the actual process right now).

Monday after work, I joined the gym! Got a coupon in the mail for past members that said to rejoin for $15/month. You can't beat that with a stick! So I changed my clothes at work and off I went. When I was signing up for my membership the woman was like, "Using this coupon/rate, you need to sign a 6-month contract." I didn't even bat an eye lash, just smiled and nodded and signed my name on the dotted line. I also signed up online for www.myfooddiary.com which is only $9/month. I love this site...it's an awesome calorie counter among other things. Hopefully between the two, there is hope to get my ass in gear!!

I had planned on going to the gym again last night (cuz Wednesday night I have a hair appointment) but my day-long stomach ache made that idea not very appealing. So once home, I popped in a yoga DVD that I have not done in years and started breathing and stretching my way to relaxation. Fifteen or twenty minutes into it, just as I was thinking, "Damn I feel good!", the freakin' DVD froze and wouldn't work again. Bummer. But now I'm convinced I want to keep up with some type of yoga or pilates work out on a regular basis (I used to do Pilate's years ago and my body was SO strong at that time!) so off I'll go my lunch break to Target to buy one (maybe two?) DVDS to do at home in conjunction with my gym-going. And if it makes me feel that good mentally every time I do it? That's all the more reason for me to keep up with it!!

I've decided not to focus so much on my weight and what I "should" lose and instead focus more on getting myself into shape, fitting better in my clothes and just generally feeling GOOD about myself and in my skin!

14 comments:

Krystyn said...

I hope you will start feeling better! You are going to turn into one hot momma!

And, be thankful you are starting before you get preggo, because then, you can keep it up during the pregnancy and you will be so happy you did!

Stephanie said...

You are certainly getting your focus right. You can do so much by changing your diet and exercise (says she who doesn't exersice enough and eats way too much bread and cheese). Better health isn't about how much you lose, but how you go about it, and you are on the right track!

I had a lot of trouble conceiving when I was stressed. Now look at me! :)

Stephanie said...

Good for you! I think all this will help you de-stress. Especially the Yoga. It's really great. Also - maybe read a good book. I know "Eat Pray Love" calmed me down and I actually felt very "free" while reading it. A good read might help your mind settle down a bit while going into the next phase. You'll get there!

Kel said...

Way to go - joing the gym or doing pilates should really help with the destressing thing (I have to run or I can feel the stress build up.) I know people say try not to stress over the baby making thing, but it's true, it will happen in its own time, stressing will only make the process worse. Try to enjoy it in the mean time.
~K

Poltzie said...

I hear ya on the TTC stress, I have so been there! Good for you for being healthy about it though :)

OHmommy said...

Good plan.... I hope to feel good in my skin too. I need to start working on myself.

I need to join a gym. Kudos to you for the head start.

Melissa said...

That's exactly what I'm doing now! I've lost 15 pounds but I seem to be stuck!! So I figured I'd start pilates again. I think I'm headed to Target for a DVD today...

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

~**Dawn**~ said...

Sending you lots of relaxing, non-stressed, positive vibes.

Signed,
Little Miss Sunshine
;-)

Cecily R said...

Stress does the same thing to me. Along with a bunch of other things.

Woohoo for you on your healthy lifestyle changes!! I need to take a page or seven from your book!

Okay, so I was JUST thinking yesterday that I hadn't seen your blog pop up in my bloglines feed for a while. I knew that was weird and should have just checked myself. Anyway today 14 of your posts showed up! That's what I get for relying on Bloglines!! Sorry I have been absent. It wasn't intentional, I promise!

jules said...

You can do it!! You sound like your already half way there. When I was ttc, my DR recommended realxing cds, I was having trouble sleeping. They didn't work for me at night, but when I would feel stressed or anxious-especially in the car- I would listen to some type of relaxing music (nature sounds, classical).That helped me calm down-for whatever reason.
Whether it be yoga, working out or music-you'll find your "chill factor".

Kellan said...

Sounds like you are on the right track! Hope your stomach is better and you enjoy your gym membership!

Have a good day - Kellan

lovelylalo said...

I hear you. Good for you, take the time to make yourself feel better, not only on the inside but the outside too. Nothing wrong with that. The book that Stephanie is talking about is an excellent book. I have finally finished it. Yes!

All of my videos break in the players *lol*

*check my page too*

Tranny Head said...

Good for you for trying not to worry about the number. I like it!

kittyconcerto.com said...

Good for you my friend! That's exactly what I have been trying to do, and when you get control of your body, you feel more in control of your mind. Have fun!