Friday, July 25, 2008


PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek


So, I missed last week's Photostory Friday and I hated it! I was jonesing for it! But business got the better of me. Shame, shame. I'll never let it happen again. :-)
This week's Photostory Friday is about FAMILY.

Big D's family to be precise. He briefly touched upon (in his 15-year meme) how he was adult-adopted in his early twenties.


While I'm not about to go into the story (in this post anyway) of how it all came about, I will say that my Big D, despite his shitty childhood, lucked out as an adult when he met his future parents. His parents and family took him like their own, embraced him and taught him all about his new family. He is so lucky in that he has an incredibly strong bond with each and every member, a stronger bond than some have by blood. They chose him to be a member of their very special. And I am honored to have joined their family.




Daryl's Gramp and I are like two peas in a pod. We have a very similar sarcastic wit and often "gang up" on Big D, all in good fun of course. He is a loving, gentle man, despite his big lumber-jack size, who shares a special bond with Big D. Every year they go hunting together and those couple days are something that Big D looks forward to every year. My favorite moment with Daryl's Gramp came the night our Rehearsal Dinner when we were saying goodbye. I hugged him and jokingly said, "Uh oh, look out! Tomorrow I will really be a part of your family!" Gramp turned to me with a twinkle in his eye and said, "Kiddo? You were a part of the family the day Daryl brought you home to meet us." I still well up, thinking about that.


Daryl's Grandma is not so soft and squishy as Gramp. But she is loving in her own way. She is crafty and smart, good with money and advice, makes a mean homemade jam, knows anything and everything about gardening...her thumb is like ten shades of green. Any time we have a question about nature? We go ask Grandma. Daryl said that he became really close with her, and realized just how much like her he is, when he moved in with his grandparents after his parents got a divorce. He is grateful for that special time spent learning and growing his relationship with her. When his Grandma takes me outside and points out different plants and vegetables and what they need to be nourished and bloom, and pulls out her shovel to give me pieces of everything to grow on my own, I actually get a lump in my throat. This is my way of bonding with Big D's Grandma and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Family is our heart.

26 comments:

JennWasHere said...

Your last line sums it all. Our family may push our buttons from time to time and patience may be tested, but at the end of it all, they're the people who will stick with us.

I am new at PSF and my entry can be read HERE. Please stop by if you have some time. Happy weekends!

Kel said...

That is wonderful to have such a close bond with family - you are very lucky, not everyone has special people in their life they can count on!
~K

~**Dawn**~ said...

What a beautiful post, April. When it comes to the people we love, we have to love them for who they are and open our eyes to appreciate the way that *they* express their love. I love that even though one is "soft & squishy" and the other is not, you open your heart equally to both of Big D's grandparents.

Stephanie said...

So true! Family is what it is all about. Anyone that close to their families is very lucky indeed. I love having mine all around and so close. Wouldn't trade it for the world!

Dan Mega said...

I like this post.

And D's grandpappy has quite the powerful beard.

Melissa said...

Gosh I miss my grandparents...and Joe's grandparents...

I love that you were family from the beginning...that's the kind of family you want to be a part of.

April in CT said...

What a great post. I've come across quite a few family themed posts lately on blogs that have moved me and it really has me pining for home. There is nothing more important than the time spent with family and the memories made. I realize that now more than ever living so far from mine.

Gardening advice is priceless!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Well, since you visited my blog you know family is VERY important to me (food's good, too). I'm glad you joined in on Photostory Friday. Nice to meet you. ; ) p.s. Come on over for dinner, I LOVE a party!!!

fvclassic said...

every picture tells a story.. memories of magic.. thanx

gp in montana

Julie said...

I love the story of how he found his family or should I say how they found him. I heard your version, I'll have to check out his....Isn't great when you can feel apart of your new family.

Tiaras & Tantrums said...

Very sweet!!

photomommy said...

That is a beautiful story!

Thanks for stopping by!

lingovise said...

Such a beautiful story to share!! It's an amazing thing when you finally find solace in your life and family. Nothing is more important. Thanks so much for sharing such a heart warming story ;)

Good N Crazy said...

Thanks for the comment, looks like beards run in your family, Ha!

I love the adoption story. I'd like to do foster care...which likely would lead to adoption...

Killlashandra said...

Very nice post. :)

MamaGeek said...

Ha, I totally loved this and love the fact that they are so awesome.

But the post below on the peeing cat? I SO FEEL YA! Ours just started doing the same stinking THING! OY.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Wow, that was a great PSF. How awesome he ended up with such a great family and you are truly blessed to have been pulled into the group.

Maggie May said...

There is nothing quite like the extended family. They look lovely people!

Jaina said...

Aww, what a touching story! I'm heading over to read Big D's full account, I'm very interested now.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

What a great story! family is a super blessing.

Chris said...

You're making me miss my own grandfather and his magical green thumb. Thank you for the reminder.

Jenn said...

Wonderful story - so beautiful and touching - Don't you love family - some how they stick with you when you feel like the whole world is running the other way!

Cecily R said...

Ah, April. I adore how much you love your family.

Your last sentence is PERFECT.

Love this PSF!!!

the cubicle's backporch said...

That was such a nice thing to say to you on the eve of your wedding day!!

Mr. C's family has been nothing but great to me and since my family is now an hour away, I appreciate their caring even more!!

lisaschaos said...

Family is the best! And it looks like you have a great one!

lisaschaos said...

Family is the best! And it looks like you have a great one!