Monday, July 14, 2008




I was waiting patiently for Big D to post this...but since he's been a slacker in the bloggin' department, I'm stealing it to post myself...

We've been attempting to let Big Boy Tucker show us, that after all he IS a big somewhat grown up boy who can spend free time OUT of his cage when we are not home(he's approximately 2 1/2 which in dog years puts him RIGHT about the age of a bratty teenager). Anyway, this blond bomber has ALWAYS been the sweetest boy with only minimal chewing, even as a puppy. We've always been able to redirect his chewing to more appropriate items like rope toys...as opposed to a blue tooth, a brand new leather belt, a bottle of my anxiety medication (thankfully never getting the top off), my Victoria's Secret bra and a tube of lipstick, among other silly little items.

THursday was the perfect test. I had my Mom coming over after work and she planned on arriving about a half hour earlier than I'd be home to wait for my Peapod delivery (she's a good Mom!) but since her last key to my house broke, I hid a key on our sunporch. Now you all know that we live in the ghetto, and inwardly, even though I hid the key well, I was sweating the idea of leaving it out where a ghetto-inhabitant could find it. So my brilliant thought was to leave my gigantic teddy bear (Uh, wait, I mean ferocious bear)free to roam the house (i.e. out of his cage) and able to scare off any possible intruders. I wasn't too afraid, becuz we have done this before with Tucker and it was okay. I looked him in his big brown eyes and said, "Okay Tucker, Mommy is leaving you free. This is a big step. You need to prove to me that you deserve it. Be a good boy today!" Thursday was no exception. Not a stitch was out of place when my Mom arrived, save for a couple of pillows he knocked off the couch when he was obviously laying on it.

Friday I felt cocky, and I thought for sure that we could do this again with no issues. I had another heart-to-heart with Tucker, holding his sweet yellow snout in my hand and making him proimse with his eyse, that he would behave. I was so sure it would be fine.

I was wrong.


This is what Big D came home to (sorry for the crappy dark pic, it's from his cell phone):



Can you see that, people? I know it's a tiny, dark pic so let me break it down for you. That is just the beginning trail of 9 rolls of chewed up paper towels, I repeat NINE ROLLS OF CHEWED UP PAPER TOWELS, IN the plastic wrapping that I had just purchased the day before from Target. That is five bucks (it was on sale thank god!) down the freakin' tubes!

I must admit, when Daryl text messaged me the picture while I was at work, I could not help from laughing. But I know that if I was the one who had to clean it up, I would not have bveen laughing! I told Big D that it most certainly is time...time for the 'ol snip-snip. He's been holding out for whatever reason, afraid I guess of de-man-ing his dog, perhaps? But I have put my foot down. It's time.

Who said dogs are easy????

23 comments:

Chele76 said...

OMG that is awesome. lol

Stephanie said...

Too hilarious! We went through something similar with our lab *also not a chewer) at about the same age, except she actually chewed the toilet paper roll off the holder in our bathroom! More than once! She didn't ever touch anything else that belonged to Husband or me. She did chew up at least 2 of the kids' toys when they were babies. But toilet paper, on the holder?!

Kel said...

oh my...at least it wasn't the pillows or something else he thought would make a great chew toy! :) It is kind of funny after reading it, but I wouldn't have been laughing if it was me and I had to clean it up!

Julie said...

What a nice welcome home Daddy !!!
I don't have dogs, but my cats have done some things like that before believe it or not.

angie said...

Hilarious......at least since it didn't happen to me! :)

lovelylalo said...

OMGness, that is a lot of paper towels. Thankfully it was on sale but having to carry that big pack around is a pain. I buy that so I don't have to stock up again for a few weeks. LOL You know, when you buy the P.T. you usually buy the huge pack of T.P. too. Snip, Snip! Ha.

Kel said...

The picture challenge krissy issued was a tough one...haha...problem is I can never turn down a good challenge so I got a little goofy - oh well! I had fun doing it!!! (my advice is to just have fun)
~K

Stephanie said...

Holy! That is a LOT of toilet paper... We got our pup snipped a long time ago. And while hyper, he is still much more calm than before. I say de-MAN him, he won't know the difference. And hopefully some of that pent up aggression will disappear for ya!

Poltzie said...

Oh Chili did this to us too. All perfect the first day and then Bam, our house was a disaster!

~**Dawn**~ said...

Chele is just happy her kitten can only undo a roll of TP. LOL!

I remember back in the days when I had my puppy. We must have forgotten to latch the door properly or something because he escaped from his crate while we were out. He greeted us at the kitchen door when we arrived home, tail wagging & nothing looked out of place. We were impressed... and then we rounded the corner into the rest of the house. Pillows destuffed, toilet paper shredded everywhere, pen chewed, socks destroyed... OMG...

ALF said...

What a dog. We have tried several times to leave our guys out of their crates and things go well for a day or two and then we come home to a similar situation that you had. We've decided that they're crate bound indefinitely.

Jaina said...

What a mess!

The Cubicle's Backporch said...

Toilet paper is worse, I think b/c they can shred it easier!!

Maybe he was trying to intimidate a would-be intruder who was peeping in your windows! If so, it obviously worked. :)

Krystyn said...

I would be soooo ticked off! Maybe that is one of the many reason's I'm not a dog person!

I say snip away! He'll never know the difference.

Motherhood for Dummies said...

oh no! I am sooo sorry! reminds me of the time we came home and found out dog had chewed our sandals and an old Bible that my husband's grandma had given him. It was a beauitful hard leather bound bible over a 100 years old. The whole spine was chewed up and practically ripped out. Dog are sweet, but definently hard sometime.s

Melissa said...

Wow, 9 rolls...I hope he didn't swallow a lot of that or he's going to be able to poop and wipe at the same time! ;)

Poor Tucker!

kittyconcerto.com said...

Whoa. 9?? Wow. He goes all out doesn't he? My cat? Has eaten part of my shorts, part of Mr. Cat's boxers(!), and half of my BRA! Girl, animals aren't easy.... but they are super cute! :-)

Kathryn said...

Sorry, but I'm laughing. That is too funny! At least it was TP and not something more valuable, right? :)

April said...

KITTY- oh Tucker has chewed up some bra himself!! Did you READ My past post? That dog's neck is close to being on the chopping block, let me tell ya! LOL

Big D said...

let me tell you my poor dog losing his balls I feel for him I fought the good fight for him I have kept his balls safe for as long as I can. I will feel bad the day we drop himoff for the snip ouch snip and will probably worry about him all day but jeez does he need it. Its like the terrible twos with him
Sorry in advance tucker....Daddy does love you

Sarah said...

LOL! But he's sooo cute .... just look at his nose all smooshed up close in that picture....

Robyn said...

so been there. Our dog was a monster chewing everything.

GoteeMan said...

Yep, used to have a chewer also... except he would pull up carpet, linoleum, pull down curtains... finally had to find him a new home... we called him "destructo-dog"...

He was a lab-afghan mix... black with long hair... beautiful, but a pain in the ass...

J/