Thursday, July 31, 2008

Well, the vet visit did not go quite how I planned. Bailey does not have diabetes or crystals in her urine. So far, her thyroid seems fine but the vet did say this is a problem (if it was her thyroid) that comes and goes in phases so it could not possibly show up on one blood test but then show up weeks later on another. So, he wants to have a blood sample taken again in three weeks and sent out to the lab. She does have a heart murmur, which was not there a year ago. However, is that a reason for her to not be using the litter box? I highly doubt it. Unless it is a thyroid issue....

Poor Bailey had a blood sample drawn (after the vet palpated her belly for a bit, feeling for any abnormalities) and he had extreme difficulty finding her vein. Like her human mama, her veins move around quite a bit when you are trying to stick the needle into it. I felt so bad watching her go through that! I personally know how much it sucks to keep getting stuck repeatedly with a needle till they find your vein. Then they needed to get a urine sample which meant literally squeezing the urine out of her, which I can assume is not a pleasant feeling. She also got a quick rabies shot. The vet wanted to then clip her hind claws (she is declawed in front) for me and so I gently went to move her body when suddenly it was like a scene out of 'When Animals Attack'. Simultaneously hissing, smacking with her paws, ears flattening flat on her head and sinking her sharp, pointed teeth into the top of my hand, by my thumb. While it hurt and I was surprised, I certainly don't blame her. I've got my battle wounds now, some bloody puncture holes which I immediately washed with soap and water and then the vet asst. gave me an ice pack to on put it. She is already a cat who does not liked to be handled (except by me) and I normally am really good at reading her signals but I was so preoccupied and I know she lashed out just becuz she was tired of being poked and prodded.

Anyway, $215.00 later, leaving the vet scratching his head, my battle wounds squeezing out drops of blood here and there, I cried the car ride home. Yes, there is so far nothing wrong with my cat and yet I cried on the way home. Why? If I can't find a reason for her behavior, then it will leave me with no choice but to find her a new home. And I cry at the thought of that. I don't like to play favorites with my pets but I have to say, that I feel like I have a very special bond with this kitty, unlike with any of my other pets. While I love my other pets equally, from the bottom of my heart, I know if (god forbid) I ever had to find them a home they'd settle right in, I would have nothing to worry about. Bailey, on the other hand, is a one-woman cat. Friends (and Big D) often tease me about how "unlovable" and bratty she is...yet I can honestly say this cat gives more unconditional loving to me then any feline I've ever seen. She loves to lay on my chest, purring like a motor boat, and she gives me sandpapery kisses to my neck and face. When I come home from work, I can call her name and this cat will come running to me, like a dog, with a long, happy and drawn-out hello-meow. While she is not one who likes to be held, she will let me pick her up at that time and bury my face into her thick black fur and call her "my pretty girl". Some people can't even touch her without her giving them the famous evil cat-eye and a low warning growl. *SIGH* I just don't see how it would work for her if after eight years of life with me, she had to live elsewhere.

I pray that doesn't have to happen. :-(

So, I'm not in the happiest of moods today. And to add insult to injury, Dunkin Donuts completely screwed up my coffee order...I could not drink it. *DOUBLE SIGH*

P.S. Big, HUGE, work changes about to happen. My company was bought by a multi-million dollar company. I am definitely slightly worried about my job. :-(

ADDITIONAL NOTE:
I just read this on the internet....I wonder....
""Recent evidence has shown that cats are not only social but that some of them suffer from separation anxiety in the absence of their attachment figure. Interestingly, one common finding in cats with separation anxiety is the tendency, even when the owner is present, to urinate on the owner's bed or other belongings. While the exact reasons for this are unknown, it may be that the anxious cat is evacuating its bladder where it feels secure."

14 comments:

Poltzie said...

Oh crappy day April! Hopefully your hand is better soon!

Amy said...

Hopefully they'll figure something out. My SIL had a cat like that (well, absent the peeing). The cat hated everybody but her, and would only sometimes let my SIL hold the cat.

Krystyn said...

Poor Bailey. I hope they can figure something out...what an expensive bill. That's crazy.

Stephanie said...

That last paragraph where you quoted - my cat did that to me when I moved in with Tim after we were married. All over MY stuff. So we put in a kitty door and she was an inside/outside cat and never again went in the house. Ever.

Hope your week gets better, April!

Kori said...

Oh I'm sorry your having a bad day. And surely something can be done about Bailey. Maybe a cat whisperer. Hey don't laugh I've heard it works.

Kel said...

Awe...I'm sorry this is happening to your kitty. I hope you both feel better soon!
~K

kittyconcerto.com said...

awh poor baby. both of you! but what you found on the internet sounds EXACTLY what Bailey is doing. I so feel you right now, with my problems with Ranni. It sounds so similar its crazy. We go back and forth about keeping her nearly everyday.

But I'm attached. Its hard. I'm just not attached to her pissing on Mr. Cat's very expensive audio work equipment cable's. Ugh.

Hope you have a better day sweetie!

Julie said...

Sending Kitty Luv your way. Hoping Bailey will get better. Maybe you can have a heart to heart with her. I have a mean to everyone else-loves me cat. His is very scary sometimes (ask Chele-LOL) but he is my BABY!!!!

I hope it works out!!!!

Jaina said...

::hugs:: I hope it all gets better soon, all of it. And I forgot to say it on the last post (silly me) but I loved that poem. It was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I am also having this problem with my 3 year old cat Ellie. The vet recommended "Feliway" which is a natural phermone that the cats react to and can to help calm them down... I did some research and even found scientific studies that showed it helped reduce urinary marking by 95%. I purchased it in the diffuser form and my boyfriend swears that the cat seems more relaxed. and thus far no litter misses in the 8 days since I plugged it in.

ALF said...

I can totally understand why you cried. That is an awful feeling to think you'll have to give her up. I hope it all works out.

Robyn said...

I hope everything works out with the cat.
Hopefully nothing bad will happen on the job front.

Heather said...

i am keeping you and kitty in my thoughts...have they checked the cat's kidneys?
on a somewhat unrelated but still a bit related note: about the hear murmur:
that is very common in cats...my cat developed one after having a kidney infection...and well he kept it all the way until we had to put him to sleep. each time he had to go in for shots they "highly recommended" b/c of his murmur to have him sedated for shots...of course sedating him cost extra and also before sedating him b/c of his heart murmur they "highly recommended" heart xrays before the "recommended" sedation. i never did either and he was just fine. in my opinion it was their way to get more money from me...so if they "highly recommend" these...tell them to pound sand!
and we did not have to put him down for any of the above mentioned or lack of it...we put him down b/c his seizures were getting painful(he lived with them painfree for many many many years)and a few months after the first baby came along he got very mean and i was fearful of the baby's life.

the cubicle's backporch said...

I am so sorry to hear that it wasn't something as simple as acidic urine! :( I know when I thought I'd have to get rid of Jayda, I felt horrible b/c she's not the nicest cat in the world either. I'm really hoping that she'll get diagnosed with something treatable!!