Thursday, August 07, 2008

******BREAKING DAWN SPOILER*******

Don't read this post if you have not yet read the last book in the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn.

I'm giving you ample warning!!! Julie, that means you. Ha! (by the way, Julie, I can lend you all the books in the series if you want, so that you don't have to go out and buy them? Let me know and I'll get them to Michele to give to you.)

Anyway, what did you think of the book, if you have finished it?

For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed it! I have to admit though, at first, I was totally pissed off that Bella became a vampire. I know, I know, that has been almost promised from the start of her and Edward's relationship. However, part of me was holding out hope, despite what all the characters said, that she would change her mind. But then the more I thought about it, the more I realized it was necessary and I like the fact that because of that, it made this vampire series different. Most of the other series I've read, the human girl does not become immortal.

I also found the ending of the book to be slightly anti-climactic. While it was a relief that none of my favorite characters were killed off by the Volturi, I was also left thinking, "Hmmm, that's it?" The fact that they were able to pretty much "talk" their way out of it, with Bella's help, seemed almost the easy way out. I think there should have been some type of battle at least, even if it was on a smaller scale. Instead of the Volturi running like scared bitches. Anyway, other than that, I still freakin' LOVED it. I will definitely reread this series again at a later date (if I love a book, I won't hesitate to reread it down the road...)

Now, about the upcoming movie, Twilight-- my girl Mrs. Kitty brought up the movie in her last post. And it got me thinking. While most of us are super excited to watch it, I think we're all not holding out hope that it will be a blockbuster hit. I personally do not care for almost any of the actors who they chose for each character....except for Edward. Most people have complained about the actor cast as Edward saying he is not good looking enough, not big enough, too slight, not "immortal-looking" enough. However I think he is perfect. His smooth skin, his pretty face, his perfectly coiffed hair...and his build fits exactly how I pictured Edward. Not as tall as Jasper, or as jacked up as Emmett. I think they did a good job with "creating", in him, the face of Edward. Robert Pattinson, the character who is playing Edward, was also Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and if you look back at that character he portrayed, a normal looking boy, and then back to him as Edward, you can see the progression of him becoming a vampire.

Now onto Bella...I am NOT thrilled in the least with the actress portraying her character. First of all, her acting (from what I've seen on the trailer) seems very cheesy and forced. I could not feel anything between them, nothing as powerful as her feelings are portrayed in the book. Her appearancea? Well to me she seems way too..."gangly" to be Bella, her voice too deep, and not pretty enough. As well as all the Cullen's do NOT seem pretty enough to me, to be immortal. I really hope that my fears are all proved wrong. I WANT to enjoy the movie. I WANT to love it. I am keeping my fingers (and toes!) crosswed that it proves all of us wrong!

What do you think???

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Gack! You all are going to force me to read this series eventually, huh? Everywhere I go I read about this book!!

Y'all must be on to something...

Kori said...

Basically that is exactly what that is. I ahve never done it. But you put it between your cheek and your lower gum and chew it and suck the juices out. Yuck and then I guess when all the flavor is gone you spent it out. It's gross.

I have not read any of these books. I guess I'm not real big into vampires and things. Although now I am a little curious especially with all the rave reviews coming from other bloggers. I might just have to check it out.

kittyconcerto.com said...

Well you already know what I think! I think it was poorly cast..... for everybody. But of all the cast I think the actor who portrays Edward will be the only good thing about it. Again--there is NO chemistry between them. I'm still going to see it though. I HAVE TOO! Darnit. I wish we could see it together!

Julie said...

I am laughing my arse off right now!! I didn't read it, but I would LOVE to borrow the books. Thanks April- I can't wait!!!!

Your so funny!!!!!I am still laughing!!!!!

:)

Good N Crazy said...

I totally didn't read your post. So I'm commenting for...no reason?

I'm ready to read the book though, waiting for it in fact...

Flea said...

Oh MAN! I shouldn't have read the first paragraph of this post! So I skipped the rest. Someone else I read reviewed it and did NOT like the book. Still debating on whether or not to buy and read this one ...