Friday, August 01, 2008

Cat Scratch Fever, baby!!

Or, not.

Seriously, last night while I was watching So You Think You Can Dance with my mother, it suddenly dawned on me that my hand had been hurting for like the past thirty minutes or so. I sort of just shrugged it off--since the biting-incident had happened that morning and I figured it was bound to hurt eventually. It didn't really dawn on me to think that it should not have taken 12 hours for the pain to kick in. Duh.--and I iced it before bed to bring down the swelling.

Cut to today...I get ready for work all the while feeling a dull throbbing pain in my hand. I took the dogs out and then clapped my hands to get their attention when they were done and immediately thought, "Ouch! That hurts!" Even though I obviously clapped my palms together it radiated to the pain in the top of my hand. I looked down at what was now a reddened, inflamed and hot circle of skin surrounding one of the puncture points. Hmmmm...interesting. So I iced it and again once I was at work. Surprisingly, the swelling did not go down nor did the redness fade. Even after popping some Advil.

I started to joke around with coworkers about my Cat Scratch Fever to which most, if not all, looked down at my hand, winced and said "Oooh, you better keep an eye on that. It doesn't look good." Since I've never been bitten by a cat before (I mean, bitten hard enough to pierce skin...I've only had that happen once with a dog) I didn't really think much of it...but then I hopped online and realized JUST HOW MUCH BACTERIA a cat can "inject" into you with their long pointed teeth. And considering I'm trying to make a baby, random dirty-kitty-cat-mouth-bacteria floating around in my body so generously donated by Bailey is probably not a good thing! I ran to the Walk-In Clinic today at lunch and got a prescription for Amoxcyllin from the very sweet little man doctor (little was the operative word...I towered over this guy) and even though I felt totally silly for going to the doctor for a freakin' CAT bite he reassured me that it was the right, smart thing to do considering three weeks down the road I could start showing symptoms from an infection. So I'm gonna start popping my antibiotics tonight and banish my Cat Scratch Fever, baby!

Anyway, in other news, I know I only touched upon this two posts ago, but my company was purchased by a large corporation this week. As of Monday, life at my work will change as we know it (and as some have known it for the last 28 years). I think it's fair to say that some people are worried about their jobs and on a lesser front worried about how day to day life here will change. I was a little scared at first, I admit, but since then I feel like I've come to a dawning realization. While I've had my issues working here, this company as a whole has been super supportive and often times very comforting. I am not necessarily scared of leaving (or staying for that matter)--it's more the idea itself of change that scares me. If my path is not meant to continue on here, I know this will just be a stepping stone in the journey that is my crazy life. I accept that. I cherish the experiences I've had, the people I've met along the way, the incredible evolvement (is that a word? I think I just made up a word.) of ME as a person. And I will forever be thankful for that. Life is full of changes. We can only take what we can from them, and continue on to the next phase.

13 comments:

angie said...

I'm so glad you are pill poppin. :) Sounds like a really yucky bite.
Hoping everything goes well with your job. Change is always a little difficult for me.

Midwest Mommy said...

Ouch! Glad you got some meds.

Change is difficult around here too. It seems like all companies are having some kind of issues, hubs is the same way right now at his job.

Jaina said...

Ouchies! I'm glad you got some meds for that.
I think it's mostly human nature to resist change. But it isn't always bad, and I'm glad to hear you with such a calm outlook about it right now. Definitely keep us updated on the job front.

ALF said...

Once I was convinced that I had cat scratch fever from a scratch from Pickles and my husband laughed at me and said that was a made up thing. I then had to prove to him that it was real. Hope it heals up soon!

Krystyn said...

Yikes. I hope the antibiotics work.

You are having a great attitude about the new owners, thing! That will help a lot. Good luck. And you know that everything happens for a reason, right?

tricki_nicki said...

I'm actually really surprised that the vet didn't say something to you about that - cat bites are dangerous! Glad you caught it before it was too late; you wouldn't want anything to happen to your blogging hand! ;)

kittyconcerto.com said...

even when a cat simply scratches me, it swells up. this sounds nasty my friend. glad you went to the doctor! And you phrased it beautifully about change/life/job. I hope everything works out in your favor. :)

Kel said...

Way to keep a postitive attitude in all of this. I'm sure everything will work out in the end!
~K

krissy said...

Good thing you went to the doc. Just for future...if any sore is red and feels hot or has a streak going up it...seek a doctor soon.

Everyone hates change....I totally feel you on that one. Hopefully it wont' be as bad as you thought!

XOXO

Cecily R said...

I'm glad you were smart about the bite. I probably wouldn't have been and then regretted it.

Hope everything goes well with your job!!!

Stephanie said...

Ouch!! Thank goodness you got it checked out - hope the meds work!

Poltzie said...

That Bailey is so sweet to leave you with an infectious bite!
Good for you for embracing change - it's so hard to do!

Rhea said...

It sounds like there are big changes at work. Good and bad sometimes.

Sorry about the cat bite, glad you got some drugs to help. :o)