Friday, August 01, 2008

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek






This Photostory Friday will be about one of my good friends...someone I am so proud of. My best friend April's husband, Agustin, will be sworn in today as a U.S. Citizen!

Agustin has come so far. He came to this country about eight years ago (give or take), looking to earn better money then he was making back in his own country, Argentina. He had a mother back home that he was supporting and the mere pittance he made in Argentina would never be enough to get ahead.

When he arrived in America he spoke not a speck of English. He got jobs, with the help of his work visa, doing anything he could make money at: washing dishes in a night club, construction, painting. He slowly began to teach himself English with the help of simple television programs which he watched when he could. Eventually he took an English class. When I first was introduced to him, he barely spoke English and his accent was very strong. He was a handsome, young man (he is about six years younger than myself and friend April) trying to make friends, with his huge, friendly smile, and make his way in a new country. April #2 had only recently just met him herself. When they started dating we used to giggle together about her conversations with Auggie, how despite his limited vocabulary, they made it work and communicated with each other.








Three months later, April announced to me that her and Auggie were engaged. I was surprised to say the least, but knew that April was smart enough to make her own decisions and I supported her. they were married in a small ceremony at the Justice of the Peace's home, then we had dinner at a local restaurant...their love, despite it's newness, was so refreshing, so new, so real. I was extremely happy for my friend. I have known Auggie for six years now and Daryl has known him for about three, and we know how hard of a worker he is (he has his own business!), how much of a family man he is and how good of a husband he is to my friend, April...and Daryl and I are so proud to call him our friend.

Here we are now, after six years of marriage for April and Auggie, and today is another big, monumental day in his life, getting sworn in as a U.S. Citizen. I'm so happy for his success!







CONGRATULATIONS, AUGGIE!! WE LOVE YOU!!

16 comments:

Kel said...

I love stories like that..it shows you just what this place was founded on instead of all the bad that you hear about in the news! Congrats to your friend!!!
~K

JennWasHere said...

Wow, congratulations! That is such a great news!

I also have posted my PSF. You can read it HERE.

Happy Friday!

Julie said...

That's a great story!!
Congrats!!!

Stephanie said...

What a great story, April! Congrats to your friend and her husband. They make a beautiful couple. And another cute US citizen ;)

Krystyn said...

How awesome for Auggie and April! What a great love story.

Cecily R said...

April, that just gave me goosebumps! I LOVE to hear stories like that!!!!

Congrats to Auggie and to April. Sounds like a match made in heaven!

GREAT PSF!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Great story! Congrats to your friends for this big step.

Susan said...

What a great story! Congrats to your friend Auggie!
My dad and that whole side of my family were born in Cuba. Coming here not knowing the language and trying to make is a story my family is very familiar with.

Poltzie said...

Great story April!!

kittyconcerto.com said...

Truly the American Dream. Good for him! And good for April #2 for finding love.

Beautiful, touching story.

Jaina said...

That is such a wonderful story. Congratulations to them both. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story.

photomommy said...

You always share the best stories.

Thanks for stopping by!

Robyn said...

Congrats!! That was an inspiring story.

angie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Sounds like it should be a great day. :)

scrappysue said...

what a great story! congrats to the happy couple!

Missy said...

How wonderful! That is a great story, and you make him seem very likeable. :)