Monday, September 08, 2008

Had kind of a crazy weekend...not all in a good way though. Daryl has not been feeling well for over a week and it started off with stomach pain and pain in his manly bits (doesn't have quite the same ring as girly bits, huh? LOL) so he went to the doctor on Wednesday. The doctor told him he most likely had a kidney stone and gave him a prescription for the pain and not a lot of information to go along with it. By Friday that pain had receded but there were new symptoms in its place: dizziness, loss of appetite, fatigue, light headed,and like he told me, "I just don't feel right. I know my body and something is wrong."

Daryl called his doctor around 2:30pm on Friday and asked what were the results of his urine test, becuz he was not feeling good, and knew something was off with his body. The answer his doctor gave him? "Oh yeah, we were going to call you. We think you are diabetic. The sugar level we tested in your urine was 1000. Normal sugars range from 80-120. And there was some slight blood in your urine. We mailed out a form for you to go have your blood drawn. Stay away from sugar and go to the emergency room if you feel worse. See you at your next scheduled appointment, September 16th."

Uh, thanks?

I am so, so angry at this doctor. How freakin' blase can you be about some one's health? I was almost firey with anger on Friday, after getting over the initial shock of Big D possibly having diabetes, and I immediately told him we're finding him a new doctor. And both D's mom and Grandpa (adopted) have diabetes and told him that his sugar level, at 1000...NOT good. His mom encouraged us to go get a blood glucose tester becuz she tests her sugar every day. And she wondered about how Daryl was feeling Friday night, saying we should probably go to the emergency room. Friday morning he had eaten (before knowing all this) a cheese Danish at his company meeting, and two Arizona iced teas, and also cranberry juice which is what we figured caused him to feel so horrible on Friday. Daryl immediately stopped all sugar-intake and started drinking water. Once we had dinner Friday night, he was feeling better so we decided a visit to the ER was not in order. Saturday morning we woke up, unsure of whether we'd be going to the ER or to his company picnic at Olde Sturbridge Village in Mass. Again, he felt fine, so we decided to go and spent a few hours in Mass. Once we headed home, Big D was pretty tired but we wanted to stop first and grab the blood glucose testing kit. We've tested him three times: Saturday late afternoon/evening it was 216 (not good at all, but better than 1000), Sunday morning it was 326 (ugh! higher!) , and this morning it was 276.

I AM NOT HAPPY. We have no idea if this is dangerous or not; the doctor told Daryl practically nothing. Any information we've gleaned we've gotten from the internet and from Daryl's Grandpa and Mom. So today I'm going to call a doctor, recommended to me by a friend and her family, and see if he is accepting new patients. If so, I am going to tell him the whole story and try to get Daryl in for an appointment as soon as possible. He still has to go get his blood drawn as well, which will hopefully shed a little more light on all of this.

Meanwhile, I'm worried about Big D's health. I don't like to see him sick. And even when he IS usually sick, he never complains, but he has either been moaning in pain from the presumed kidney stone, or laying down due to the dizziness and telling me how crappy he feels. We went out yesterday and bought some fish, chicken and vegetables, and fruit. Daryl is not really big on drinking plain water so we also got him some seltzer and I picked up some lemon he can put in his water.
So wish us luck that this new doctor can squeeze Daryl in soon! I don't like not knowing what is going on with his health...I want some answers and I WANT them now.
Oh, and here are some pics from Sturbridge Village. I had forgotten our camera so I had to take them with my cell phone. This first and second one? HILARIOUS! One of the ox (oxen?) got loose and the security guard was trying to lure him back to the pen with apples.
Here is Daryl (cooling off) relaxing in the Meetinghouse.
These baby cows were just chilling in the heat...I couldn't resist snapping a picture of their cuteness. Immediately the brown one mooed at me; obviously he doesn't like the paparazzi.
This is me, all melty and flat hair, (WHO said the weather was gonna be 72 and cool WHICH is why I wore jeans? STUPID weatherman!) sucking down water like it's my job.

Here is Big D, smiling pretty, outside the Meetinghouse.
This pig was too cute, in my opinion (despite his stinky "perfume"). He was trying to stay cool, and I'm assuming that's why his ears were covering half his face?

21 comments:

Bekah said...

I cant believe the dr was that flippant about it. Oh yeah we were going to call you??? Are you kidding me?

Love the pig picture!

Melissa said...

Oh man, I hope Big D gets some answers soon. Diabetes is a big deal, I can't believe how uninvolved your GP is...unreal!

Sending (((hugs))) your way!

Stephanie said...

I'm with you April and would find a new doctor asap. You need one that will give you some answers. I will say some prayers for you guys. Please let us know how this pans out. Much love!

Kel said...

I'm sorry Big D is sick..Diabetes is not something to mess around with. I hope the new dr. gets to see him soon and he starts feeling better.
~K

Chele76 said...

I like the ring of informatino. It's like information with a hispanic flair!

Hope you guys get some answers very soon. If not - let me know, I have a few freinds that are drs that I can get you in with asap.

photogirl218 said...

Hope Big D feels better soon!

Kori said...

Oh Doctors so get on my nerves. Hope he gets in to see him soon. Praying everything will be fine and he gets to feeling better soon.

And that pig is something to be admired.

Stephanie said...

I dont think 1000 is even possible. I know my moms blood glucose machine stops reading at 600...after that it just says HIGH. The few times it has been that high she is in the hospital.
How very scary, but thank goodness these days we have medicine to help!
PLEASE get into the doc ASAP and keep us updated. Diabetes is so scary..I hate it :(
Thats great that you went out and got the machine already and bought some good food. Hopefully diet will help!
I will be praying for him!!

April in CT said...

That Dr. (I hesitate to even call him that) needs a good kick to the throat. What a crackpot! I hope he's able to get in to to see someone competent SOON!

Steph said...

That Dr was a bit blase to say the least. Diabetes is nothing to play around with as any Dr. should know. I am glad you are seeking out another opinion I hope all goes well.

Amy said...

Be careful with what fruit he eats, too. My grandfather had diabetes, and *barely* managed it with diet. There was some fruit I remember he wasn't really supposed to eat, or he was supposed to eat in small quantities, because it was high in sugar.

lovelylalo said...

Sorry for the bad news..I hope you get more answers with a new doctor. Great pictures of those farm animals. I hope Big D gets better soon. I am sure you'll take great care of him!

jessica said...

ugh. i recently had a doctor like that for my baby girl. i am disputing the bill. i hope your hubs gets a good doc and some answers!

Jaina said...

"Oh we were going to call you"!!! Are you serious? He said that? What a jerk. He should get a malpractice suit. Having untreated diabetes is maybe a BIG DEAL! I'm glad to hear that he's feeling at least some better.

Krystyn said...

Wow! I would be finding a new doctor and looking into endocrinologists. I hope the doctor is wrong.

Flea said...

Oh yeah. New doc, fer sure. How bizarre! Hopefully you can get this under control with some Metformin and cutting the sugar intake drastically.

Robyn said...

That is crazy that the dr didn't even call or anything. Make sure he gets back in diabetes is nothing to mess with.

Grandy said...

Honey, as a diabetic, I will tell you that the 1000 number in the urine is different than the blood glucose, If I read your post right.

Morning numbers in the 200 and 300's are not good. There was a time not long ago that my numbers averaged in the upper 300's AND was taking almost 200 units of insulin a day. I'm much better now, but stress also has a direct effect on how my blood sugars respond. Until he can see a doctor, think "LOW CARB" and that will help.

I'm sending a prayer his way, and you shoot me an email (mgrandy@ftcnet.net) if there's anything you need. Info...bitch fest... you name it. ;)

Bluevelvet24 said...

Wow, that doctor is horrible. Diabetes is very serious and he treated it as if Big D just had a sore throat. Unbeliveable. My mom's cat just got diagnosed with diabetes. I know it is different for humans than cats but immediate treatment is important. Good luck to Big D.

Poltzie said...

April this is horrible! Poor D, keep us updated!

Sarah said...

I'm sorry to hear about your husbands diabetes. Hope he is able to manage it with diet.

PS...I think weathermen are the ONLY people who can day after day, do there job wrong and STILL have a job the next day. =)