Thursday, September 18, 2008

I am in a gooooooood mood today. (although that could be somewhat related to my getting laid last night. Ha!)

I only have five more hours left at work and then I'm DONE-ZO till Tuesday! I took personal days for tomorrow, Friday, and Monday. Tomorrow I'm getting up early and going apple picking (I love Fall!!) with Sarah and cute little Julia. We'll hang out afterwards and I'll probably make something yummy with my apples. Then in the late afternoon/early evening, Big D and I are meeting up with Joe and Erin at the Big E! I haven't been to the Big E in a few years so I'm really looking forward to it. And hanging out with Joe and Erin is always a treat.

Saturday Daryl and I have big plans. We are going to an orientation. I have not mentioned anything yet, cuz it was still in the thinking process, but we are seriously contemplating fostering a Fidelco German Shepard puppy. Fidelco dogs are guide dogs for people with blindness or other disabilities who need some assistance. Daryl and I were both introduced to the world of fostering guide dogs back in June of 2007 when I went to my first Red Sox game. I don't remember the name of the company, but, they had a little stand with information, calendars for sale, and beautiful yellow Lab puppies on their way to learning how to be good guide dogs. I was totally enthralled and Daryl had to literally tear me away to go watch the game. Then just a few weeks ago, while at work, Daryl was doing some jobs at Fidelco in Bloomfield, and his enthusiasm about the place was totally contagious. He would come home and tell me all about the German Shepard's he'd seen being trained, how he'd talked to employees there about fostering, and how great of an opportunity this was to help someone. I fought the idea at first though, selfishly, becuz I could not imagine vesting 14 months of love into this dog and then immediately having to give it back. But the more Big D talked it up, the more he convinced me of how much of a gratifying service we'd be doing for a disabled person who needed this dog to live and feel independent. I could cry when I think about how much joy these dogs bring to people's lives, and how in it's own little way, Daryl and I would be contributing to that joy. We know we are blessed and we both are always talking about how we feel so lucky for having our health (despite his Diabetes) and each other to lean on. We know not everyone is as lucky and this is a way for us to do our small part in helping someone else feel as blessed. I know it will be tough, and I know the emotional part of it all will take a slight toll, but I already feel like my heart has grown just at the mere thought of doing it. So Saturday we are going to go sit in on a Fidelco orientation, and also I'll get an opportunity to see the facility (and puppies!) for the first time. Wish us luck!

Saturday evening it will be off to dinner our friend Jessica's house. She has her daughter Belle (who is 8) this weekend and she'll also be baby-sitting her sweet nephew Logan so I'll get some MORE baby time (and damn it, you KNOW I'll be sniffing that kid all night if this pheromones-shit has even an inkling of truth to it!! LOL) in addition to a yummy dinner.

Sunday will be another busy day. My cousins' shower is at one (I'm a BM in her wedding) and I have to show up earlier to help set up and bring the food I'm supplying. I'm sure I'll be there most of the afternoon. And Monday I plan on vegging out! I'm going to get some laundry accomplished (finally) and clean the bathroom...and for a change, I'll make dinner for Big D who usually always cooks!! I'm looking forward to it....

Anyone else have any fun plans going on???

20 comments:

Mommychicky said...

And here I thought I was having a good day because I went to the gym again - hmm, maybe I'll have your kind of good day after this weekend - it's my five year wedding anniversary on Sunday.

The Captain's Wife said...

I am going to the Big E Friday too! I'll be on the look out for you.

jen @ the cubicle's backporch said...

I fostered puppies when I was co-oping and it's hard to let them go! Maybe it would be easier if you knew they were going somewhere for a good cause. Maybe.

Speaking of apples, the windstorm blew our apple tree down so we have a boatload of apples just waiting to get picked. I may try to make apple pie for the first time ever. If you have a good recipe, pass it on!

Chele76 said...

holy cow ANOTHER moose in the house? Where you guys going to fit ;-)

Jaina said...

I'm so glad to hear you having a great day.

kittyconcerto.com said...

What a fantastic idea!!! You guys would make great foster puppy parents! Can't wait to hear all about it. And I hope they don't put out an April Alert when you see that baby! LOL.

Kel said...

Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned...I want to take my oldest apple picking this weekend...hopefully we will be able to. I've never been, but it sure does sound fun!

Have a good time!
~K

Tabitha said...

Wow, you have a very busy weekend ahead of you!! I think that fostering that puppy sounds like a brilliant idea!
Have fun and enjoy sniffing in that baby smell ha ha !!
love and big hugs XXXX

Robyn said...

Busy, busy, busy. The dog training sounds so neat. I know I could not give the dogs up. It is one of the reasons our dog is still here. I went to an orchard today and got the most delish caramel apples. YUM

Tara said...

Awww... fostering a puppy! What a great way to give back to someone who is less fortunate. I'm sure you will get attached - who wouldn't? Be ready for a crazy house! We have two puppies (one in which is deaf) and it is crazy & wild!

I'm so glad you have a few days off! It sounds like you will be busy - good thing you get to veg out on Monday. I'm not so lucky. We are dry walling in our kitchen and I have so much cleaning to do! It has rained a lot here and the dogs are making a mud hole (errr!) and bringing the mud in the house. What a mess.

Have fun baby loving!!

Tara said...

I just got to thinking about it... you have two dogs already, don't you?

April said...

Tara,
We do have two dogs, and three cats (so it's already a crazy house LOL). We have a 2 year old lab and a 3 year old JackRat. The JackRat *MIGHT* be having a new home soon though...it's a complicated story (but it would be a better situation/environment for HER and for us, as well, especially if we DO want to have children in the house). I will probably be posting more about it, if it happens!
:-( April

Amy said...

Didn't you JUST post a week ago about how your weekends are too busy! My weekend consists of looking for a new car and hoping that my "little sister" doesn't blow our weekend date again.

And I don't know what Big E is, but it sounds like fun and I want to go.

Poltzie said...

April, I think it's so normal that you won't want to give the puppy up. I always have people tell me they can't be foster parents because they will be too sad when the child leaves. Those are the only type of foster parents I would consider!

If fostering a puppy is anything like fostering a child, it will be hard and the first one will be the worse. You will, however, learn to live with it and will get much better at it as time goes on!

Have a great looong weekend and here's to hoping you get laid again :)

Krystyn said...

Sounds like fun stuff (especially with the days off). I'm playing hookie tomorrow and hoping for a relaxing weekend.

Melek said...

my best friend's mom used to raise guiding eye dogs for the blind. they were labs instead of shepherds tho. They loved doing it and raised 5 or 6 maybe? but just remember, after 18 months of loving that dog, you have to give him up. after each dog, they said they'd never do it again bc it was so hard to give him up.

i think it's a very very noble cause, and if you can do it, more power to you. i don't think i could give the dog up after raising it tho....

have fun apple picking!

Heather said...

the best part...only good part of my weekend days which really are not weekends b/c of working...is going to my darling son's girlfriend's 1st bday party! yes they are only a year (gracie is 2 weeks older than christian exactly) and already have their marriage arranged!

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

Gotta love those personal days! No such fun plans in my corner of the world, but I am enjoying a Saturday without any solid plans--meaning no real responsibilities or deadlines--and the fresh fall air that is rushing in. I even noticed some changes in color on the mountains. It may be time for another Sunday drive to see the leaves. Yeah!!! I love fall!

GoteeMan said...

That sounds awesome! I will have to check it out... what a cool way to invest in the process...

J/ (goteeman.blogspot.com)

Morgan said...

Girl you crack me up with the getting laid thing...i wish i could say the same thing! :)