Monday, September 15, 2008

I tried to kill my husband last night.

Accidentally, of course. Geez, people, what kind of a wife do you think I am??

But I'll tell you this. I feel like a total shithead. I have been craving ALL the foods, lately, that we've either cut way back on or stopped eating completely since Daryl was diagnosed with diabetes. And of course there is still so much we don't know yet about what is okay to eat, and in what increments, so it's a constant learning process. We learn as we go.

And last night, all I wanted was mashed potatoes. Carbs. Yummy, homemade, creamy mashed potatoes. I know mashed potatoes is a weakness for both myself and Big D and I thought I didn't make too much. Of course, my eyes are horrible at gauging correct portions when I'm cooking. And I made too much. I was smart though and immediately packed away leftovers in tupperware containers for me to have with lunch during the week at work (I made goulash--with ground turkey, not beef--over mashed potatoes). However I still doled out too much mashed potatoes to Daryl. His "old portion" size before being told to cut way, WAY back on carbohydrates.

And then after dinner, he was still hungry. I had made fruit salad (grapes, watermelon, blueberries and strawberries mixed together) for snacks/dessert for the week, and even though I know there is sugar in fruit, we figured, 'Hey, it's all about portion size.' so I only put it in a small dish, maybe like a cup's worth? And he also had an apple. As he was eating that apple, I started to feel bad. Like, Oh shit, I think we screwed up. But I just attributed it to my knack of over-reacting to things. Hell, it's fruit, and some mashed potatoes, what can it hurt?

Out came the blood glucose tester and from the prick of his finger to the actual testing, I didn't have a good feeling. And then when Daryl said, "Uh oh." I knew it wasn't a good reading.

357!!!!!!

He felt crappy for a bit after that--slight stomach ache and no energy--and he laid down on the couch and fell asleep. I silently kicked myself and berated myself. I should know better! I'm the one who has always "eaten healthier" and tried to get us both to lose weight before and make proper food choices! And now here he has to do it for his HEALTH and I'm giving him crappy options! I know he is his own person,a grownup, and will eat what he wants to eat, but I still felt responsible. Daryl trusts my judgement and I feel like I steered him wrong! I didn't do a very good job of looking out for him last night. :-(

I learned my lesson. And so did he.

The
Food Nazi is in town. Look out!





And please, for any diabetics out there (or anyone watching their sugar and carb-intake) can you PLEASE give us some ideas? What is good for him to snack on? To have as "dessert"? What can he have for breakfast besides eggs? I'm feeling overwhelmed and confused!

15 comments:

Kel said...

Yes, portion size can help, but it is not the only thing that will fix it. I know it's kind of time consuming, but if D keeps a log of all the foods he eats during the day with a log of his sugar levels it won't take long to determine how they affect him. Sure there are certain things that work well overall, but individuality also plays a part...there were things I thought for sure would send my sugar levels up and didn't and then the things I thought I was safe with that sent them thru the roof.

Patience is the key...once you get the hang of it, it will get better. Try looking for a nutrition class in your area - first time diabetics do pretty well in classes like this and they can help with meal plans according to how your dr. wants to work with meds and food.

Good luck!

April said...

Thanks Kel! That's a great idea, about the food log. It makes sense especially considering like you said, everyone is different in how the sugars affect them. I'm going to get him a little notebook to do that with!

Heather said...

if he is willing to do oatmeal quaker oats makes a low sugar one that tastes pretty good.
snacks: sugar free jello, no sugar added yogurt, icecream and pies. my father in law is a diabetic and likes all of the above and it keeps his sugar down while keeping his sweet tooth at bay. also check out any local bakeries (bristol has one called harvest bakery) that makes very delicous sugar free everything from cookies to cakes to pies, also there are sugar free cookies that are good too in your local stores.
good luck.

Melek said...

when my friend's sugar-fanatic husband was diagnosed with diabetes, she said the only way they got thru it was with splenda. she baked and cooked with it all the time. as for carbs and fruit sugars, i don't know enough to give advice. i bet you could find a diabetic food log online tho that might help him to monitor intake, glucose, etc.

good luck. it's probably not going to be an easy road, but in the end, i'm sure you'll both be healthier and happier for it all.

Mommychicky said...

Hope this page helps, it's from the American Diabetes Association (and has links about sweeteners and alternatives"

Krystyn said...

For dessert, what about no sugar snacks. But, I've heard it's the carbs that are the killers. Is he doing insulin as well, or just trying to control with diet and exercise?

Maybe google a diabetes diet, and you'll get a weekly menu?

Cecily R said...

Oh, I would be a HORRIBLE wife in the same situation. At least at first. I'm so used to Jon's portions that it would take me a while to get used to the change.

Good luck April (and D). I hope you get some awesome advice and it gets easier fast!

Keri said...

When i had gestational diabetes with gav i went to the diabetes clinic in town... they gave me fab advice.
But i did HATE the diet and asked Chele a million questions on things. I found the Glucerna cereal to be soooo good! But i too struggled with breakfeast, cause i got tired of eggs quick.
Careful with 'sugar-free' stuff, cause some can still raise your glucose levels.

kittyconcerto.com said...

Over fruit?!?! I'm sorry. I wish I had more to say..... more info to give.

Robyn said...

It is going to take an adjustment period. Just try and keep at it, but don't be killing yourself with guilt.

Grandy said...

As a diabetic, let me give you some pointers on the snacking.

Tell D to think of it as he is now on a skinny man's atkins diet. Think protein over carbs.

When he has a sweet tooth...sugar free jello is pretty good, in the individual packets. So are the sugar free popcicles. The yellow box. Get the Sugar-Free. Those taste, and will help him feel, a little more normal.

Soy crisp chips are a good healthy snack. You can get flavors, and one serving is 7g protein, 2g fiber and like only 110 calories. BBQ is my favorite. I think they're low carb too.

There's some sugar free candy out there that's pretty good too. I don't normally eat it though because it can have an effect on the belly.

Right now, it's all about the transition you're both facing. Hang in there, and email me with any questions.

mgrandy@ftcnet.net :)

the cubicle's backporch said...

I recommend getting a cookbook for diabetics. They have all kinds of good stuff in those things!

And Kel had a great idea about the food log.

OHmommy said...

LOL. You did almost kill Big D. Poor guy.

My FIL has diabetes and my MIL says that it took her a while to get things going in the right direction.

Jaina said...

It's okay April...it's going to be a learning experience for you both I'm sure.

Tranny Head said...

Poor thing - you know, there are tons of cookbooks out there for diabetics. I bet you can find a few gazillion at your local Barnes & Noble!