Tuesday, September 09, 2008

What a difference a day (and doctor) makes!


I got into work yesterday morning and immediately hopped on the phone to call this new doctor recommended to us by family friends. I was calling at about 9:40 am and after explaining the situation to the receptionist he said, "Can your husband come in at ten?" I stuttered out a, "Uh, uh, no, he can't get there that quick. Anything later?" So he said 11:15 am. SOLD!

I called Daryl and told him the good news and off he went to the new doctor's office.
He snuck in a quick text message to me while waiting to be seen, saying pretty much how he already liked the atmosphere better at the new dr. office, and BONUS the receptionist who was having him fill out paperwork was showing lots of cleave! Nice.

So after a complete and thorough check-up by Dr. Mike ("call me Dr. Mike" he said) diagnosed him with Type 2 Diabetes. He laid out a plan for Daryl of medication (daily diabetes and blood pressure meds, and one baby aspirin daily), healthy diet (no sugar, more fish, pork and chicken, limited red meat, and little, if any, carbs) and monitoring his blood glucose level every day and keeping a diary of each reading. Another doctor's appointment is already scheduled for October 1st. He laid out how he plans on lowering Daryl's sugar levels in two stages. He was very precise, very informative, very friendly. Daryl really liked him. I haven't even met him and I like him! Like Daryl said last night, "It's nice to have a doctor actually care about my health."

So things are looking up. I know Big D is pretty bummed about what he can't drink (beer! at least for now) and eat (candy! He's a sugar-fiend!) but it's not a death-sentence and it's not the end. If anything, I view this as a wake-up call for him, for us, to pay better attention to our health. You only get one body so take care of it while you've got it. We want to grow old and wrinkly together , enjoying our marriage and each other for many, many years to come. And obviously, we want to start a family and both of us want to be healthy and be able to enjoy it! So things can only get better from here...

23 comments:

Flea said...

Oh wow! Isn't a good doctor the best EVER? I am sooooo HAPPY for you both! This is good. :)

Melissa said...

I'm so glad that things got worked out so quickly! Here's hoping that the doctor gets things under control quickly!

Hang in there ((hugs))

Stephanie said...

I am SO glad you guys found a doctor that knows what he's doing and cares for his patients. I can only imagine what a relief that is for you both.

Well said - you only get one body, so take care of it!

Kel said...

I'm glad D likes his new dr. - he sounds like a good dr. Good luck with the changes in eating habits, diabetes is not the end of the world, but it does take a bit of getting used to...(I had it when I was prego).

~K

Krystyn said...

Yay! I'm glad you found a new doctor that cares about you guys! Hopefully, D is able to control it with diet and he'll be as good as new.

BTW, I've heard from a friend that it isn't even so much the sugar as the carbs (well, because they turn into sugar), so watch those, too.

Melek said...

i just read the previous post and then this one. so glad you found a doctor who cares. diabetes is nothing to mess around with. i can't believe the first dr was so "eh, whatever" about it.

there are tons of recipes and diabetic info online....so on the positive side, you'll have lots of new recipes to try out :)

keep us posted on how it goes.

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad to hear the new doc got him in so quick!
He is very lucky to have you taking care of him and worrying so much!
I'll still be praying!!

Kori said...

So glad he's on the right track now. It helps to have doctors that care.

Poltzie said...

So happy about your new doctor! This is good right?

Tara said...

Wow! What a roller coaster you've been on! I'm so glad that you guys found a doctor that you like. And I am so happy that D is on the road to feeling better!!

Robyn said...

I'm glad you got some answers, they may not be the best, but as least you know now.

Kathryn said...

Yay for good doctors! They can be hard to find, sadly.
So glad he is on the road to good health. :)

Heather said...

great news...i am hoping that your hubby can stick with this and take care of himself...only months after my hubby's scare he is back to eating like crap. he is still taking his dr recommended asprin but that is about it.

angie said...

I can't believe the other doctor couldn't diagnosis Type 2 diabetes. Such good news that he now has a proactive, competent doctor.......that he has a receptionist with cleavage, well that's just icing on the cake, right? :)

Tabitha said...

I am glad that the doctor sorted out what was wrong and your hubby is getting treatment.
Hope you are both ok.
love and hugs XXXXX

kittyconcerto.com said...

It's nice to have a doctor actually care about my health."---Gah, isn't that the truth! When you see the opposite, it really discourages you.

I'm sorry about the diagnosis, but so happy that he can do something about it. Big Hugs to you and Big D.

jen @ the cubicle's backporch said...

Sorry to hear that he has diabetes, but glad that you found a doctor that cared enough to educate him about it!

I learned a lesson from you- never put up with a crappy doctor!!

Bluevelvet24 said...

Great to hear that he found a great doctor so quickly!

Kellan said...

So glad to hear that he found out about the diabetes now and will be taking care of himself. Take care - Kellan

Jaina said...

So glad he found a GOOD doctor. What a relief. I'm impressed by the incredible service. Glad to hear he's going to be okay.

Tiaras & Tantrums said...

Hope everything works out with the new Dr!!

~**Dawn**~ said...

Wow. I'm glad to hear Big D got a sound diagnosis & a plan toward feeling better. Never underestimate good medical care. There are many places that you just have to "take what you get" but your doctor's office is NOT one of them.

Grandy said...

I understand his frustration, but am so pleased he got taken care of. Sorry I haven't been around as much, but I had to come check in on him. ;)