Sunday, October 12, 2008

The ASPCA must have THE smartest marketing person on the face of the planet.

I've probably seen their commercial (you know the one I mean, with the Sarah McLaughlin song "Arms of the Angel" playing and the saddest most pitiful looking puppy dogs and kitties you've ever seen) about a hundred times. I seriously don't think that's far off; it's on quite often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EYocy_DN60

(sorry I don't know how to post it, other than the link)

No lie, I cry EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Every time it comes on, I try so hard to keep my eyes dry. No dice.

It just popped on about two minutes ago, and without a word, Daryl dropped the book he was reading and quickly looked over at me.

"Are you gonna cry again, hun?" He asked with a knowing smile.

"No, come on now. I'm over that." I scoffed back at him, surreptitiously peeking over the top of the lap top at the TV screen. As Sarah's melodic, mournful voice carried through our living room (cuz of course we had on our surround sound!), and the saddest brown eyes stared through the screen at me....my eyes started to well up again.

"Damn it! Their marketing dude is a GENIUS!" I said, rolling my eyes.

"Why?" Big D asked, looking back up from his book. At the sight of my tears, he started to laugh.

Now, I'm off to go make my donation to the ASPCA.

12 comments:

Kel said...

Don't feel bad...that commercial is a heart string puller no matter who you are!

I hope their marketing guy got a HUGE bonus!!
~K

the cubicle's backporch said...

I agree with Kel, that commercial gets to me everytime. And I usually donate to the ASPCA (or whatever the acronym is) once a year or so.

Poor animals!!

Robyn said...

LOL i was like that with those insurance commercials.

Trannyhead said...

HAHA.

I hate that commercial because I don't want it to freak my kid out. I also hate that freaky animal cop show on Animal Planet. I used to leave "Animal Planet" on tv when I was gone for hte day for my cat until I discovered that show - and that it was just showing my poor cat abused animals all day.

Umm - yeah.

Dianna said...

I HAVE to turn it~makes me so sad.
And the kid brings me the phone every time~d*mn that marketing guy*!*

Tara @ Living A Dream said...

I have to turn the channel when it comes on. If I'm watching it with my husband, he will leave it on - even though he knows I can't handle it! When it gets to one cat that looks like ours he always makes some comment. I end up teary-eyed and then crying. Poor animals!!

~**Dawn**~ said...

That commercial is *evil*. Like I need to be sitting alone in my apartment, eyes spilling over thanks to a commercial. =/

kittyconcerto.com said...

That's the first time I've ever seen that commercial! There is NO way that I could see that over and over and not cry. Gah! Poor fur babies. This is exactly why I always adopt from a shelter or pound. To save a life.

Grandy said...

A job well done. It worked, didn't it?

Stephanie said...

I'd never seen that commercial...wow :(

Julie said...

I know!!!
Emily wants the shih Tzu with one eye. She thinks someday he/she will be hers. I love that my baby wants a one eyed dog, so they could have a good home.

Jaina said...

Haha, don't feel bad. I cry at commercials too. Their marketing guy should definitely get a raise or a promotion or something.