Thursday, October 09, 2008

We had a little bit of "excitement" in the ghetto, last night.

My Mommy came over for dinner and a movie last night and it was with full bellies and light hearted banter, we were ending the visit. I was standing in the front door, holding Daisy under one arm like a fat football, watching my mom start to walk down our front walkway, headed toward the street where her car was parked. I was being silly and joking around and at first not realizing why she wasn't answering me back at all. I saw her look over her left shoulder at least once, possibly twice, and then she seemed to be inserting her key in the lock of her car for a very long time. We often say that our road is like a freakin' uphill, curved racetrack, with the way people coming bombing up the hill. So usually if you are parked in the street, and a car is speeding up on you, you would have to wait to open your car door till it passed. I figured that's what my mom was doing.

After the car had already driven by, my mom had still not gotten in her vehicle. A very distant corner of my brain wondered why she was hesitating.

"April," She called out in a whisper loud enough to carry up to the house. "I think there's someone in your yard over there!"

"What?" I made her repeat it, unsure if I had heard it correctly and then quickly saying in a confused voice, "Daryl, my mom thinks there is someone in our yard!" I think at first Big D didn't quite register what I said either because he just continued to sit on the couch with a sort of blank look on his face.

"April, he's running away through your neighbor's yard!" My mom called out. At that, Big D it was like realization clicked and he jumped up off the couch and reached for his work tee-shirt that was laying on the couch. He whipped that on and then slid his feet into flip-flops and grabbed a flashlight. I called out a goodbye to my mom so she would leave and then Big D ran outside and proceeded to sweep the beam of the flashlight into the dark corner of our side yard and then tracing a line with it into our neighbor, Ronnie's yard which is the direction that my mom said the person had run. Meanwhile, I threw Daisy in her cage and then ran to the kitchen and switched on the light, then immediately turned on the sun porch light as well and tried to peek through the slats of the kitchen window blinds into our backyard. No movement.

I started to feel a little nervous that Big D was wondering around alone outside and ran back o the front door and realized he was now diagonally across the street. I saw the bobbing flashlight as he walked through the yard of an empty house, that another set of neighbor's had moved out of during the summer. He also shone the flashlight down the cul de sac that hugged hte opposite side of Ronnie's property, since that is the direction that the figure ran towards.

When Big D was back in the house, his first thought out loud was, "Are you sure your Mom wasn't seeing things?"

"No way! My Mom doesn't not have vision problems, honey. and she's not prone to over-reacting. If she says she saw someone, I believe her." I called my mom on her cell and asked, "You're positive you saw someone, Mom?"

"Oh yes! Definitely! I heard crunching leaves when I as walking down the walkway. didn't you notice I kept looking back in that direction? And then by the time I got to the car, I saw the figure. And then they took off running!"

"What....uh....size was this person Mom? Was it like a man? Could it have been--" I hesitated, almost embarrassed to say my thought aloud. "--could it have been Ronnie?"

"No!" My Mom reassured me. "It was not a man, it looked like the size of a teenager." Unconsciously I whooshed out a big breath of relief. I didn't want to think that my neighbor, the crazy drunk, was peeping in my windows, but hey, stranger things have happened!

Anyway, Daryl told me to call the local police department which I immediately did. Within 10 minutes, we saw a squad car coming slowly up the street, shining it's light into yards and down the cul de sac. As he pulled up in front of our house, Big D walked down to greet the police officer. I heard snippets of conversation and saw another cop nearby, cruising down the street towards the low income housing then coming back around the block and parking beside the first officer's vehicle. Then a few minutes later Daryl thanked the officer and came back into the house.

"I'm going to the police department tomorrow. I have to fill out a piece of paper that will have the cops add our address to a list they have; they will cruise by it like once every night."

"Oh, wow, really? They can do that?"

"Yeah. I explained to him that it's getting ridiculous around here. Between my work van being broken into back in January and our GPS being stolen, and the house being broken into when you first moved in three years ago...and after calling the cops when those delinquent kids shouting in the street at 1:30 am two weeks ago...I told him we are very fed up with this neighborhood!"

"Good! It's the truth." I grumbled. Around 11:30 pm we turned in to bed. Daryl dropped right off to sleep like a baby. Me? Not so much. I rechecked every lock on all the windows and doors. Pulled the curtains tight. Reminded myself to ask Daryl in the morning to take out the last remaining ac unit....why make it easier for someone to break in? And new blinds...I am running out Friday, payday, and buying blinds for the one window in the computer room that doesn't have any, and also replacing any blinds in the house that have broken slats (PEEP holes!).

Oh, and one more thing? I'm going out with my friend B, (the state cop) this weekend to learn how to shoot Big D's guns (something I've been wanting to do for a long time now. I hate having guns in the house and knowing that I have absolutely NO IDEA the proper way to hold one or shoot one or anything).

I'm not tempting fate any longer...god forbid anyone ever tried to break in while I'm home alone? I'll be prepared.

25 comments:

Kel said...

Oh my...I don't think I could have slept after all that! I used to not fear anything outside my house, but now...now I think about it all the time and we live in a decent neighborhood. Still I sleep with a weapon nearby just in case.
~K

Robyn said...

I would've laid in bed awake all night. I'm glad you want to learn how to use D's guns, just for the fact if they(guns) are in the house you should know what is up. It is pretty easy to grasp the knowledge. Just put a baseball bat under the bed just in case.

April in CT said...

Scary!!! We had an incident when living in FL involving a knock at our front door and a gun (long story). The very next day my hubby was going out of town. Needless to say I barely slept and kept every light in the house on the rest of the week 24 hours! lol

It sucks when you're made to not feel safe in your own home.

Melissa said...

I'm glad that whoever it was took off. How scary for all of you.

I'm not a big fan of guns but if you have them in the house, you should know how to use them.

Bekah said...

um yeah that would terrify me...im glad you were able to even sleep! sheesh!

Tara @ Living A Dream said...

Oh wow! That's a little (okay maybe a lot) scary! I think that is a good idea to learn how to shoot Daryl's gun(s). I know how to shoot my husbands, but I still am not sure that (God forbid) I would aim well or handle it properly. We got a security system put on our house because I'm such a baby!

the cubicle's backporch said...

Wow... that IS scary!! And really, you need to learn to shoot Big D's guns. Hopefully you'll never have to use them, but it's comforting knowing that in a bad situation, you KNOW how to.

I would've laid awake too. Wowza.

April said...

OKAY, I know this is a totally SERIOUS post, but I'm giggling right now at the comments of "You need to learn how to shoot Big D's guns!" Does anyone else find that strangely humourous? I'm a dork,I know!

Jaina said...

How scary, I'm glad you are okay! Please just be careful with the guns...that makes me scared, but I'll be happy to know that you at least know how to use them. Any chance of being able to move soon?

Stephanie said...

Oh my! I would not have been able to sleep either. And it's a good idea to make sure you know how to load and handle the guns, I agree. I'm glad everything is okay and everyone is safe! How scary!

Kori said...

Oh gee wiz kiddo that is some scary mess. I would have been up all night pacing the floors with my billyclub in one hand and a pint of ben and jerry's in the other. ya know to calm my nerves and all.

Kathryn said...

That is freaky!!!! I don't think I would have slept well that night. At least Big D was with you. :)

When my hubby leaves for deer hunting I always sleep with Pepe (my hubby's shotgun) under the bed. Makes me feel better even though we live in one of the safest cities in America. Ha!

Morgan said...

My mom came home from vacation not too long ago, as she was coming in the front someone was trying to break into the back...SCARY! He ran when he saw her and she called the police and they never found him..lucky bastard. I hope they catch the weirdo lurking in your yard and neighborhood for your safety and everyone elses!!

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

do you have an alarm system??
damn teenagers!
I can't believe your mom just walked to her car anyway and then drove off???

~**Dawn**~ said...

Holy crap, April!! Scary! I'm glad you're learning how to handle the firearms in your home. My friend, Daniel, is a certified instructor, and when I was out in California visiting Nichole & Daniel for my 30th birthday two years ago, he taught me to shoot. I don't own a gun but I am glad I know what to do with one. I took to it very naturally. Something Daniel told me when he was teaching me: girls are much better shots than guys. Something to do with fine motor control, attention to detail and patience.

Tabitha said...

Oh dear ~ I hope that all is well with you now. I used to be a Police officer here in the UK and I know that we were always getting similar calls to what you described!
Hope you are all ok ~ thinking of you.
love and big hugs XXXXXXXXX

ALF said...

Wow - that is really scary. I hope it never comes to it but it's a good idea that you're learning to use the guns. Says the person who keeps putting off learning to use the shotgun we have...

Grandy said...

Oh I'm so glad it was nothing...and in looking at it, so glad your Mom said something when she did. I'm picturing you all repeating it like a bad sitcom. "HUH?? YOU SAY SOMEONE IS IN OUR YARD?? (giving them time to get away) Gotta love delayed reactions

Casey's trio said...

Yikes..what a night. I hope the police step up their patrol in your neighborhood.

kittyconcerto.com said...

Whoa girl!!! That is some scary stuff. Be careful out there learning to shoot guns. But it's good that you will know how to use one, especially if you have one in your house. And Big D must be your hero!

Heidi Renée said...

Scary! Maybe when you have the dog he/she will ward off any creepy ghetto kids.

How do I join the League of Extraordinary Wives group? I keep seeing it on blogs but it says you have to be invited to join.

April said...

Heidi,
What's your email address? I think I can invite you to join that way!
:-)April

Heidi Renée said...

It's heidi renee blog at gmail dot com

Minus the spaces, obviously. :)

OHmommy said...

Yup, I would have freaked out and not been able to sleep all night,

I am glad you guys are okay and they ran off.

Trannyhead said...

Scary! All I had at my house was my annoying nosy Mrs. Kravitz-like neighbor who was all up in my business all day and all night. Anyway, I'm glad you're doing fine.