Wednesday, November 05, 2008

TMI post about my stomach issues. If you don't wanna read it, stop now.

Today is day four of my period and each morning, at about the same time (around 6:45 am-ish) I have suffered from 10 minutes or so of piercing, stabbing (like knives!) cramps in my belly. It hasn't only happened in the morning though...occasionally it's come on at night too, but only sporadically for about 5-10 minutes. It kind of reminds me of like really, sharp painful gas pains, do you know what I mean? But I just kept blaming it on my period since ya know...period=cramps usually.

And also I'm associating it with my period becuz the past couple (2-3) cycles for me I've had reeeeeeally painful cramps like this at certain times. They make me double over. Could it just be gas pains do you think? I don't think I have a food allergy but is it possible to just be highly sensitive to certain foods? I've always had what I've nicknamed a "sensitive stomach" but I never really backed it up by keeping a food diary and finding out what exactly could be causing it.

Yesterday I journaled my food intake becuz I re-started weight watchers (technically I re-started last week but then it all went ot hell in a hand basket after an emotional and PMS-filled week) so yesterday I got myself back on track. I'm going to tell you what I ate yesterday to see if you can see what any culprits could be that would have caused the cramps this morning (if it's not just regular period cramps, I mean). Keep in mind, that my food intake has been different than this though the previous couple of days (except for breakfast which is always usually the same). Yesterday I made an effort to eat fruits and veggies, something I've been slacking on lately:

Breakfast and mid-morning snack:
1 packet lower sugar apple flavored oatmeal
small coffee w/creamer
1 banana
1 medium coffee w/cream and 1 sugar
water

Lunch (it was a random lunch day cuz I forgot to bring something so I had to eat what was in my desk):
1 Campbell's Soup at Hand, tomato
1 Kashi Go Lean Crunch Bar (kinda like a granola bar)
1 sugar free jello
water

Dinner:
1 piece coconut crusted tilapia
steamed veggies (carrots, green beans, broccoli and water chestnuts...it was one of those bags you throw in the micro and it steams in the bag. LOVE 'em!)
1 small serving of salad with lemon poppy seed dressing
water

Snack:
hot chocolate with Lite cool whip
water

And that was my day.

I'm just hesitant to call the doctor (gyno) for him to be like "Hmmm, sounds like gas pains to me." And yet, these cramps just feel different than my usual period cramps. Not sure what to do...should I just wait it out and assume it's something I ate this week? Or if it was you, would you call the doctor for peace of mind?

18 comments:

bekah said...

watch out for artificial sweetners. A lot of diet or lite food use them, but they can make you sick. I get extremely sick from a lot of artificial sweetners, similar to what you are describing. I guess it is different for everyone, but it is something to watch out for. hope you feel better very soon!

Chele76 said...

I get bad gas and diahrea durring my ENTIRE period. I've been told that they are unreleated. I don't belive it. No one can tell me that having gas AND dihrea EVERY month durring my period for umpteen years is a coincidence? I think not.

BTW I sent an email asking more specific questions with WAY too much TMI ;-)

April said...

Bekah-I DID think about that with the sweeteners...I only just found out that Splenda is a BIG tummy-issue culprit (I don't eat it anymore but I used to have it a lot a few months back) but this morning I specifically noticed the cramps came BEFORE I had my breakfast. And the only sugar-free (sweetener item) I can recall having was the sugar free jello at lunch time. It's so strange!

kittyconcerto.com said...

I think you should call the doctor. But this is coming from a girl who NEEDS to call a doctor and hasn't. Do as I say, not as I do. ;) Hope you figure it out soon!

Tara @ Living A Dream said...

I don't have any suggestions. I say call the doctor... Hopefully you're back to normal soon!!

Chele76 said...

I am not convinced by the sweetner.... I think cafeene may be a culpret here.....

Poltzie said...

My guess is the coffee but I'm also not really known for my medical abilities either.
Feel better soon!

Stephanie said...

I would say it was the coffee in addition to switching your diet up a bit. On top of being on your period. I'd give it a few days and see how it plays out.

I've lost 6 lbs so far on WW - 10 lbs to go!

the cubicle's backporch said...

I get bad cramps too. I've found that running really helps reduce them. But there are times when I could cry it hurts so bad... curl up on the floor under my desk and just moan. Ugh. I feel your pain.

Kel said...

I never really had bad cramps until the last few years - don't know if it is from food, but like Jen - exercise has helped ease them for me. Personally, I'd call the dr. but that's just because I would completely stress about what I 'thought' it was until I the man with the fancy degrees on the wall told me it was nothing major.

Isn't that what they are there for anyway??
Hope it goes away soon!
~K

Robyn said...

It doesn't hurt to call the dr.

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

I agree with the exercising - stretching actually !! Plus, Oatmeal and a granola bar?? That is a lot of grains! April, when I have really bad cramps - I usually am like super ovulating - I think anyone could agree that some months are more (slippery, meaning eggs dropping) than other months. So perhaps, since you have been 'trying' for the past couple of months - your body is getting hints and gearing up to slide you some "winner" eggs! (sorry if that sounded too gross)

Sweetly Single said...

a change in your hormones can cause excess digestion issues. You should call the doctor if not only for a peace of mind but also to make sure that there isn't something going on that you don't know.

That tiny little part of your anatomy does effect a lot of our insides in many ways.

April said...

ROFL I love that! I NEED me some "winner" eggs! No more losers!

Tabitha said...

I get the same at that time of the month and then it stops when my period does!!
I don't know what to suggest ~ I would keep on with a food diary and if it keeps happening ~ then I would call the Doctor ~ can't do any harm!!
Love and hugs XXXXX

Cecily R said...

Tiaras and Tantrums said what I was thinking, only she said it SO much better...:)

I hope you get a winner soon!

Krystyn said...

Well, I always error on the side of caution and I would call the doctor...that's what they are there for.

But, maybe it is some winner eggs!

Jaina said...

If it's happened more than once, then I'd probably call the doctor. Better safe then sorry.