Monday, November 10, 2008

We had a busy weekend! Friday night Big D and I went out to dinner for our anniversary at J. Timothy's. Ate way more than necessary (mmmm...cheddar ale soup, pumpkin martini, chicken pot pie, and delicious bread!) but it was so damn good!

Saturday Daryl put up our new fan in the kitchen while I went over a friend's house for tea. Afterwards, we headed to Lowe's to get some stuff due to the clog in our pipes...we've had a slow drain in the tub for about a month now and when Daryl tried to put all kinds of heavy duty stuff into it that is supposed to disintegrate any blockage, it just stopped up in the tub. Yuck! And he had to tear apart all kinds of pipes in the basement and I wasn't supposed to use the hot water (although Daryl failed to tell me that...and I just flaked out) so when I turned it on, it created a type of reaction with the acid and and the entire house smelled like rotten eggs! Blech! Thankfully we had both already showered on Saturday morning cuz after that, we were unable to use the bathtub till it could be fixed! We had to put it on hold cuz we had plans to go over our friend's house for dinner. I made peanut butter kiss cookies to bring and we also picked up a bottle of wine for us girls. Yum! We spent the majority of the night, four adults and one nine year old, giggling endlessly at the adorable antics of Crystal and Jimmy's ten month old cutie-pie, Gabriella.

Sunday was a busy day! Up early and as I stumbled bleary-eyed around the house, I realized Daryl was no where to be found. He finally showed up about fifteen minutes later with a 25-foot snake (for the tub, not a real snake!) and Panera bagels and cream cheese for our breakfast. Good man! Much swearing, and dirty water and a glob of a hair ball later, Daryl fixed our tub problem. Don't ya just love a handy man? :-)

I had to run to Petco after breakfast to get a few things (argh! our dogs have fleas! In NOVEMBER?) so I had to apply treatment to both dogs and all three cats. Then do insane amounts of laundry washing all of our bedding (Tucker sometimes lays on our bed) and all of the blankets in Daisy's cage. *Sigh* A definite pain in the ass. Then I joined Big D outside to finish up the leaf blowing and raking he was doing. HE already did the backyard earlier in the week so I helped him with the front and side yard. Then while he finished cleaning up that mess, I mowed the front lawn. Oh! And my favorite part! We pulled out bushes with the truck!!! I felt like a ten year old boy as I "oohed and aaahhhed" and laughed as the roots and bushes got yanked out. Heh. What can I say, I'm easily amused! After that we ran to one of our favorite stores, BJ's (one of those warehouse stores) to get dog food and coffee and a couple other items we buy in bulk. And the day was no over from there!! Afterwards we had to go to D's grandparents where his aunt and uncle and kids had just arrived with a king sized mattress that D and his uncle had to carry upstairs for his grandparents. Then the visit evolved into pizza and playing with the kids, and around six thirty-ish we finally headed back home. It was a long, busy, but enjoyable day!

And now it's back to work. Again. Ugh!

17 comments:

Milo said...

Doesn't yardwork sometimes just give you a good feeling? Especially if afterwords it looks like you've actually done something (as compared to raking and then more leaves falling the next day!)

Heidi Renée said...

Fleas! Ack!

Kat said...

Holy leaf pile! WOW!!!
Sounds like you had a busy weekend and managed to get a lot done. And YES! I love a handy guy! Awesome. :)

April in CT said...

The yard looks great! It was a leaf raking kind of weekend because we did the same thing minus the blower. I'm still sore! lol

I think the fleas have become tougher because we're battling them too and I'm at my wit's end over it. Frontline no longer works for us like it once did and my vet says he's seeing that more and more. Fleas are becoming resilient...mutant fleas!

Kel said...

Holy cow lady - I swear you always have the most busy weekends ever - you totally make me feel like a slacker with my 'slummin' weekend.

Glad it was a good one for ya!
~k

April said...

April,
Mutant fleas is RIGHT! I mean, I know it's been a bit warm out but STILL we DID have that cold weather snap for a while there. You'd think the fleas would not have survived! It's insane! My poor fur-babies are so itchy. Tonight we're moving on to flea baths. Blech.

April in CT said...

Will you let me know if you find something that works (shampoo, dip..whatever I'm desperate)? This has caused a bad skin infection on my poor furbaby and he is absolutely miserable. The vet gave me a new topical drops treatment to try, but I can't use it for another few weeks since I put Frontline on him recently.

Stephanie said...

Well, well..I think I need some wine and PB kisses cookies after reading all that! lol
Sounds like you had some good April & Daryl moments in there!!
Love the pics of the play by play day!!! ;)

Melissa said...

Holy cow! I can't do that much in a week! I need you youngin's to come over here and help me out! :)

And you scare the living daylights out of me when you said he came home with a 25' SNAKE....ick!

Heather said...

what a great weekend...when i first read the word snake i gasped and then read that it was not a real one LOL.
mmmm those of some of my favorite cookies!

Morgan said...

Aren't weekend freakin' wonderful...until reality of work sets back in Monday morning! Ugh..Anyways, glad you had a good weekend! :) Hey I don't know if your dogs have a Vet or not but if you call the local Vet and ask them if they have any pills called Cap-Star, they are only like 3-4 bucks and it kills anything on your dogs in like an hour!

kittyconcerto.com said...

That truck thing looks cool. Glad you had a nice and productive weekend with Big D.

Krystyn said...

Uhhh...back to work before you know it, right?

Sounds like a great weekend!

Tabitha said...

Sounds like you have been really busy!!
Hope your little poochies are all sorted out soon.
love and hugs XXXXX

the cubicle's backporch said...

Don't even get me started on the fleas this year! We haven't been able to get rid of them. Even Frontline didn't stop them. So I've been washing the sheets like crazy, vacuuming, and giving the dog a flea bath. They need to DIE!

~**Dawn**~ said...

I swear the weekend vanishes before your very eyes. If only the weekdays would go by as fast...

Jaina said...

Sounds like a good weekend, yay for your handy m an!