Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Big D and I went to my doctor's appointment yesterday. It went well. We went over all kinds of medical history etc. and the doctor said he could do an ultrasound but we wouldn't see much this early on. For my peace of mind, I told him that yes I wanted one. Even just seeing that little poppyseed on the screen made me breathe a momentary sigh of relief.


I asked the doctor, "So, when can we stop worrying so much about miscarriage?"


He replied, "From conception straight to birth."


Point taken.


"Okay," I started again, holding back the eye-roll I wanted to give him. "I realize that it could happen at any time, but what is the normal period of time for it to occur?"


He told us that 30-50% of women miscarry. He said once we see the happy flutter of a heartbeat on the screen, that percentage goes down to about 10%. He said everything looks perfect so far, though, and that within another week a heartbeat would be visible.


So, now I just have to hold on to see the heartbeat. I'm a relatively positive person but at the same time, I'm trying to remain realistic about the chances. I have to be. He had me go do bloodwork last night and I'll go again on Wednesday to be sure all my hCG and progesterone levels are doubling up as they should be. So if I can ask a favor of all of you, please send all your positive, healthy energy to mine and Daryl's little poppyseed? We would both appreciate it so much.


Last night after getting home and eating dinner, I groaned when I realized I was supposed to be making mhy Death by Chocolate for my company Chrsitmas party today 3-6pm. We forgot to stop for the ingredients so I decided just to make brownies instead. Daryl, knowing I was tired and kind of spent from the doctor's appointment, offered to make them and told me to go relax in the living room. Not only did he make the brownies, he dove into making my Peanut Butter Blossoms for my company's Cookie Swap that's coming up.


I went out into the kitchen at one point to check on the progress and Daryl was happily putting all the ingredients into our KitchenAid mixer. I curiously glanced it and couldn't help but smile. On top of a lump of numerous ingredients, I see two sticks of butter laying on a pile of flour.


Hmmmmm....


"Um, Daryl? Can I make a suggestion for next time?" I asked.


"No! No comments! I'M doing this." He insisted. I shrugged and went back out to the living room. A little later he asked for some help in rolling the cookies. I started to roll them, thinking that when I make them the cookie dough usually feels a tad...wetter.


After they come out of the oven, we normally push in the hershey kisses so I kept checking on the cookies, finally saying to daryl, "Huh, they're not spreading out like usual."


"I suck! I'm a horrible baker!" He told me grudgingly. We only ended up making about three cookie sheet's worth cuz it was getting towards my bedtime and Daryl was frustrated with the cookie's not spreading out like they should.
But damn if I didn't think Daryl was THE CUTEST (if not the best baker) HUSBAND ever!!!


22 comments:

Aimée said...

What a great husband and the cookies looked good enough to make my mouth water a little! :) I will be sending all the prayers/positive thoughts I can your way for your little nugget. I know how hard the first couple months can be. My best advice is to listen to your body, it usually tells you what you need (rest, food, manicure, etc) :) Take care!

the cubicle's backporch said...

Yumm. Cookies. And I agree with Aimee... maybe you need a good massage and pedicure!

The Captain's Wife said...

Stay positive...it is the best thing you can do for you and your bean sprout :)

Are you going to deliver at Middlesex? If yes, curious to know which Dr. group you are going with. I swtiched Dr.s at 12 weeks...would be happy to share my experience if you'd like via email...

Kat said...

Aww. What a sweetie he is.
My hubby is a horrible baker. He tried making peanut butter cookies once and they were rotten. He is a fabulous cook though.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way for your little poppyseed. :)

Flea said...

He's a great husband. And will be a great DAD!!!

Praying for all three of you. :)

Stephanie said...

Oh Daryl...what a sweet husband you are!! That little poppyseed has a wonderful set of parents to look forward to!
Lots of positive thoughts and prayers coming your way! Stay positive girl, keep us updated and REST!!

lovelylalo said...

{Positive Thoughts & Prayers for your little "poppyseed"} Hommm Hahmm. LOL

I am not surprised that Big D stepped in and got to baking. He is so super awesome. I love that you just let him do his thing. Who doesn't LOVE extra Butter?!?

Glad you had a good appointment yesterday!

*HUGS*

Lisa said...

Congrats on your little "poppyseed" and prayers sent heavenward for the sweet little one. I dropped by from a note you left at Abbilyeverafter, by the way.

Lisa

Krystyn said...

I don't care how they look...how to they taste? That's what's important!

And, you have to stop worrying. You will have this child's WHOLE LIFETIME to worry...seriously. So, your doctor should have said from conception to forever.

Not sure if that really helps, but it's the truth. Try to relax and enjoy it!

Stephanie said...

Sending prayers and grins. I LOVED the baking story. I lucked into a hubby who is a great baker as I am the worst! I can comiserate with D.

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you got to see the little poppyseed. You guys have all my positive thoughts and prayers. When is your estimated due date??

Morgan said...

YAY im glad the appointment went well...aww! :)

kittyconcerto.com said...

What a sweetie! And I am DEFINITELY sending you postive thoughts and prayers. Try not to worry so much though. It's difficult, I know!

Amy said...

Hey, where did my comment go? Did I not leave it or did you delete it. Well, I said that I will tell you what I already did - don't worry until you have something to worry about. There's less of a chance that somebody will happen than that everything will be totally fine - and even if something bad happened, there's very little you can do to control it! So take care of what you can control, like diet, rest, etc., and leave the worrying for later. Like Krystyn said, you'll have your whole lifetime to worry. At least right now you know exactly where the baby is!

Big D said...

I would never delete your comment Amy!!! It must have gotten sucked into the blogger-universe!

April said...

D'oh! That last comment was from ME, not Big D. He ALWAYS forgets to log off the laptop!

krissy said...

I know you are a wee bit stressed right now but I have very important advice. You don't stop worrying from this point on. Being a mother is all about worrying and worrying and worrying. Ha.

Big D is just a big sweetheart. And damn if I am not hungry as hell right now for cookies. Mmmm.

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

awesome hubs!!

stay positive! and take it easy!!

Tabitha said...

Sending lots of positive thoughts to you and your little poppyseed (that is soooo sweet!!).
I am sure everything will be just fine!!

Your hubby is so lovely ~ baking cookies for you!!
Love and hugs Tabitha XXXXX

Jaina said...

What a sweetheart you've got there. I'm sending all sorts of good thoughts and prayers your way :)

Trannyhead said...

I bet they still TASTE good. Hang in there - pregnancy is stressful! (Though not as stressful as PARENTHOOD!)

RCRambling said...

That whole miscarriage thing? Yeah... You'll be worried about it the entire pregnancy. Whatever you do - don't "google" pregnancy concerns. Ack. Gave me nightmares.

And, try not to let the worry get to you and just enjoy the pregnancy. It seems weird, but truly, you will cherish every moment (including the needing to pee, possible swelling, fatigue, etc.) and wish you could still have that feeling, after you give birth.

Not that you'll want to put the child back in (although at times, I think that might be easier), but you'll miss the strange, yet awesome, feelings that come from carrying that child inside of you.

Just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! And congrats again!