Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'm going to make a confession. Think less of me, if you will. Condemn me if you choose to. But I have to be honest.

Pregnancy has temporarily squashed the animal lover in me the past couple of weeks.

Now, don't get me wrong, my fur-babies ARE my babies. I love them to pieces. But lately what I lack the most of, something you need to have with pets, is patience. Lots and lots of patience.


Our new foster puppy, Timber, is the sweetest little thing in the world. He's also the most stubborn dog I've ever encountered in my life and often times makes me want to pull my hair out of my head in clumps. He STILL is not fully potty-trained. It drives me insane to take him outside to pee and then once we get back inside, to have him piss on my carpet. INSANE, I tell you. I have no patience for his adorable puppy antics. I yell, I point, I cry, I frown, I yell some more (mostly at Daryl. Bless his heart). And then when I want to cuddle him, he is so hyper that he scratches or nips me in the face. NOT cool. And this puppy has had fleas for about two weeks now. The Fleas. Will. Not. Die. They are a new freakin' mutant strain of fleas, or something! (I'm not blaming him for the fleas...those came from our other two dogs who had fleas EVEN while having Frontline on them). Well, I should say that I think the fleas might *finally* be gone (thanks, Daryl, for your diligence!) but it has just been HELL to deal with.


My kitties...my little fur-balls. They've brought me so much joy in the years we've been together. The past couple of days? Eh, not so much joy. The other morning I was woken up to the sound of: "Son of a bitch!! I hate your god damned cats!" being shouted from the living room. I entered the living room to find my beautiful Christmas tree laying across the middle of the living room, with garland and ornaments strewn about, and water pooling in the carpet under the tree. THIS, after just on Friday telling my friend, Erin, "Oh yeah, my cats are great. Not ONCE have they ever messed with my Christmas tree. Not once." Those little biatches just HAD to prove me wrong, didn't they?

AND...becuz of the flea issue, we had to bomb the house this past weekend. This meant shuttling THREE DOGS and THREE CATS in two separate car rides to Daryl's dad's house about 25-30 minutes away (my doctor told me that becuz I was pregnant I should stay somewhere else overnight). Catching the kitties to put into their carriers for the ride? NOT so easy. Let's just say, I have battle scars to prove it. Chloe is a "people-climber" when you try to put her in her carrier. Knowing this, I hugged her close to my body thinking I, finally, had the upper hand (upper paw?). Until she turned, lunged,and sunk her delicate little claw into the soft flesh of my shoulder/neck area, not only puncturing me with one little sharp-ass claw but also leaving me a fabulous bruise to boot.


Daisy...ahhhh, sweet little (EVIL) Daisy. I am getting anxiety just thinking about her. This dog has been my baby for the past four years. She has also been the cause of MAJOR stress and anxiety in our house. Daisy has wicked bad food/toy/possession aggression. Not only can no other animal go near HER food or she will attack, no other animal can go near ME while I'M eating or Daisy will attack. OR even if Daisy is near me, no animal is allowed to go near me. She attacked both the puppy AND Tucker while we were at my FIL's this weekend (don't worry, the puppy and Tucker are fine) and then the clincher...the night before last I was sitting on the living room floor eating salad and my Chloe, my loving little Calico kitty, came over for some head rubs. I rubbed and scratched her head while Daisy who was sitting nearby sniffed her. I told Daisy to be good. She was. Chloe wandered away for a bit. Chloe then came back. Daisy went after her. I shrieked and almost choked on a piece of chicken in my salad.


This is the final straw. I have to find Daisy a home. I have been unsuccessful thus far, due to her issues, and I will have no other choice but to (a) drop her off at a shelter (and most likely they won't take her since she's bitten both myself and Daryl before. She drew blood on Daryl) or (b) put her to sleep. I know this might sound horribly cruel to some but it's really our last choice. I've tried a rescue group but again, becuz she has bitten, they would not take her claiming she is a liability. I've been told to NOT tell people that she is bitten, to get her into a shelter, etc., but there is no way in HELL I can do that and feel good about myself, knowing the potential for disaster. If she hurt someones child or injured/killed one of their animals, I'd never, ever forgive myself!
I have to stop talking about it becuz I'm going to cry. But I can't have an animal like this in a house with my baby. No way in hell.



Tucker has been the only fur-baby not completely stressing me out. I mean come on, how can you get mad at that sweet yellow face????
Monday while I was home sick from work, he cuddled, he gazed lovingly at me, and he even at one point rested his sweet little snout on my severely bloated belly. I could not stop kissing his soft head and petting and rubbing his belly.

Let's see how long before HE tries my patience. Heh.

Seriously? I love my animals to pieces. So please don't judge me. I just had to vent and get all of this off my chest! I'm sure by next week, I'll be back to my normal, loving, patience-filled self!
I promise.

21 comments:

bekah said...

aw im sorry. Animals are stressful, I cant even imagine how stressed and emotional you are right now. The first few montsh of my sisters pregnancy she was an emotional mess, so if you are anything like that, you must be having a hard time. I wish I could do something, if I didnt have a dog Id offer to adopt Daisy. Jaco is a bit bigger than her though and the last thing Id want is for him to bite back. Can you list her on Craigslist? Or petfinder. One of those type websites? I dont know.

RCRambling said...

You've written about Daisy before, and I think you've done all you will be able to do, to give her a chance. I know it is hard, and like you, I would exhaust every opportunity to find her a new home before making the call.

As for the rest of your brood, with everything going on (the new foster puppy, having to leave the house for the flea bombing, your pregnancy), I wouldn't be surprised if all of them were just reacting to stress.

RCRambling said...

By the way, I sent a little "blog love" your direction, if you want to pop over and look at my "Playing Mustard" post. I felt guilty for missing your big news!

Flea said...

You're doing the right thing with Daisy. It's the toughest thing ever, but it's right. It's okay.

Kel said...

I'm sorry you have all this stress, but I know the lack of patience...it was the first thing to go when I got preggo with Little Miss.

I know its not easy, but try to hang in there, it will return eventually.
~K

Aimée said...

Awww, I'm sorry you are so stressed out, I understand. The Daisy thing is such a hard situation to be in, but I think you are making the right choice, not an easy or happy one, but right. We had to go through something similary and it broke my heart, but had to remember that it was the right thing to do! xo

Melissa said...

Your creating a whole 'nother little human...believe me there is no other time in your life you can get away with saying practically anything...take advantage...:)

Animals are like kids plain and simple they are A LOT of work and a lot of stress.

((((hugs)))

Sarah said...

While I was pregnant and even after wards, I hated both my cats. I thought they were disgusting creatures and wanted NOTHING to do with them. Before I got pregnant, I LOVED them....

Poltzie said...

We had to get rid of our dog Belle when I was pregnant due to agression. Luckily my parents were able to take her but if not we would have put her down. I totally understnad how you feel. It's really hard.
Oh and don't you love when they put their noses on your belly. I swear they know that something is in there. Chili used to nudge up my shirt and lick my belly - so cute!
Tucker will be the best baby dog ever!

Amy said...

My friend Jenn went through the same thing with her dog when her daughter was born. A shelter may take her, provided you make clear she needs to be the only animal in the house and no children should be present. If she's the only dog, there may be no need to be so aggressive. The rescue's are different, I think, because people take home numerous dogs, so they're putting the owners and everybody at risk.

Heidi Renée said...

I didn't know that you have cats! Chloe is gorgeous!

I've had a bad cat week myself. Jacob broke a plate last night and it was all I could do to keep myself from putting him in the carrier to get a grip on himself. Luckily Jason got home from his trip last night so now our cats have someone else to bother.

If you take Daisy to a shelter, make sure that they euthanize with sodium pentobarbital, in case they can't place her. That is the injectable that veterinarians use and it is the most humane way. You're in a tough spot with this, and I feel for you.

Tabitha said...

Oh April ~ I remember having no patience with anyone or anything when I was pregnant the first time ~ so don't beat yourself up about it!!
I hope and pray that you sort out a place for daisy ~ it sounds like a very difficult situation.
Take care ~ love and big hugs XXX

*Jac* said...

Aww, I understand about the fleas. My baby kitty had fleas for weeks when we got him. I think it's because he didn't know how to take a bath. Every other night I would have to give him a bath and get all scratched up. And now he has them again. It's horrible. And Daisy does sound bad. We had a dog like that when I was little and he bit my brother, so you're probably right to get rid of her. Try finding old people to take her. They wont have kids and they'll be able to give her attention.

Kat said...

That makes me want to rip my hair out just reading it. I can't imagine dealing with it. Yikes!

Krystyn said...

My cat wanted so much attention when I was preggo...it was like she knew. She always wanted to sit on my lap, lay on me, etc. It got to be so much!

kittyconcerto.com said...

Your cats are adorable! Well, of course I'd say that! And I LOVE the pic of Tucker with his head on Daryl.

Maybe you should contact the Dog Whisperer before you take drastic measures....

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

oh I am going to sound awful her e- I am NOT an animal lover! Seriously we have a lab and she annoys the hell out of me on a daily basis!! I would be happy to get rid of her - but she's my son's dog!

the cubicle's backporch said...

Oh man, last night I was having the same 'MY ANIMALS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY" moments. I came home to three pee spots, 1 poo spot, and papers that had been knocked off the kitchen table onto the floor. Before cleaning anything up, I took the dogs out (b/c I knew it would be happening again soon!) and then when I brought them back in I had to try and keep them away from the spots so that they didn't stand in the piss.

Puppies are hard to housetrain. Small dogs are 10 times worse.

While I know that some people may flip out over putting a dog to sleep, after volunteering around animals, sometimes it's the right thing to do. And putting her to sleep rather than her biting someone and being put in confinement (or even beaten if it's a bad home) is probably better in the long run. Hopefully it won't come to that, maybe she'll change suddenly!

Morgan said...

awww but they are just ADORABLE!! You are just pregnant and stressed...I DEFINATELY understand momma! :) Oh I finally updated my blog, lol...thanks for checking on me!

lovelylalo said...

Wow, you have a lot of fur ball friends. I hope everything works out and you do what you need to do, for the safety of you and your other pets.

Don't cry!

Jaina said...

I hope your animals settle down. They can probably tell you're pregnant ;) Give Tucker a smooch and head scratch for me, he looks like a gentle sweetheart. Keep feeling better!