Thursday, January 22, 2009

I've been on a total cooking-frenzy lately (which obviously means I must be starting to feel better. Phew!).

I am NOT the chief cook of the house---Big D holds that position. He likes to grill in the summertime (steak, pork, chicken, burgers, hot dogs, etc), and in the winter he likes to experiment with new and old recipes in the crock pot (some of my favorites of his are French Onion Soup, Chicken Cordon Blu, and chili. His crock pot Chicken Cordon Blu won me OVER on our third date. Good man, good man!).

I don't really like to cook (well let me rephrase: I hate the prep and clean-up that is associated with cooking. The actual cooking part is okay though.). I do like to look up new recipes but more often than not, I never make them. I would much prefer to bake.

I normally don't have time to cook much more than pasta or frozen pizza. I work until 6:15pm and get home by 6:30pm and I don't know about you guys, but the last thing I want to start at seven o'clock at night is cooking a big dinner. And then dealing with the clean-up afterwards. *SHUDDER*

But lately? Something has changed. Could it be the low, low temperatures perhaps? Cabin-fever? The (hopefully) ending of morning sickness? Food seems interesting again. In this week alone, I've made Eggplant Parmesan (all from scratch, except I DID use jar sauce, so sue me), Stuffed Peppers (click on the words 'Stuffed Peppers' to find out how i made them.) I've been craving them since K posted about making them recently! And Venison Pot Roast with potatoes in the crock pot. Although I must admit, I ended up not being able to eat the venison...even though it smelled heavenly. Since becoming preggo, I've been averse to chicken, pork, fish and obviously now venison. The only thing I can eat gladly is ground beef. So maybe the morning sickness hasn't completely gone yet...heh.

Anyway, it has felt so good to be cooking again and not relying on take-out or crappy throw-together meals in the evening! I have been wanting to get back into menu planning but held off cuz Big D didn't want to...I think he likes more of the spontaneity of not knowing what's for dinner till we get home but me being hungry every three hours? Well that's not an option anymore.

So now my request! Do you guys have any yummy suggestions of what I can make--maybe some tried and true favorite recipes? Like I said, until the m/s has completely hit the road, I need to steer clear of anything other than ground beef. And I've been totally craving Italian lately...sauce, sauce and more sauce! But I don't want to get burnt out on it. So any ideas would be great!

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

I need some good new recipes too..please share if you get some ideas!
Glad you are getting back into the swing of things!
All your descriptions of food made me hungry..I'm off to lunch now!! :)

~**Dawn**~ said...

I swear by my stuffed shells and meatloaf recipes. They are pretty simple to make & I crave them as soon as it's chilly enough to turn on my oven. Comfort food, for sure. They are on my recipe blog if they sound good to your tastebuds.

bekah said...

My favorite thing to make in the winter is soup. All kinds of soup!

April said...

Dawn!! I actually have already PRINTED OUT your stuffed shells recipe before but misplaced it before I could make them! LOL I need to go over and reprint that right now. Yummmmmmmm....

Krystyn said...

Check out this site: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ These are typically easy (some are harder than others).

And, welcome to the second trimester (almost)...it's the best time. You feel great, look great and everything.

Melissa said...

What about sloppy Joe's or pulled pork. You can make them both in the crock pot.

I'll share the recipe if you share Big D's french onion soup recipe. ;)

MarciaBrady said...

I might have to get that recipe for crock pot chicken cordon bleu. Sounds sooo yummy to me!!

What about tacos or taco salad?

Beef Stroghanoff. I take beef for stew and put it in a crock pot, 2 cans of low sodium beef broth, and then I add whatever seasonings I'm feeling...garlic, pepper, whatever you like really. Let that cook on low for eight hours. Then, when you get home, all you'll have to make is the pasta. Once the pasta is done, pour it into the crockpot with the beef, etc. Then, I also put in sour cream and chive cream cheese. It's one of Chris' favorite meals I make. Not a lot of cleanup or time spent making it.

I'm glad you're feeling better as far as morning sickness!

Big D said...

Ah all of a sudden the ladies want my recipes lol well the french onion soup you can have blah cooking sheri sucks um cordon blu in the crock pot rocks though

Sarah said...

Kale and polenta lasagna! I would punch someone in the throat for this stuff!! I LOOOVE it!

Here is a link..

http://pessimisticbitch-mamahansen.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html

I omit the rosemary and add extra feta. Its sooooo yummy!

Robyn said...

Hmm I'll have to think on that. I really only hate the clean up. But I like to gather recipes and never use them.I have a huge binder.

Trannyhead said...

Oooh - that all sounds good. Beef stroganoff can be made in a crock pot ...

the cubicle's backporch said...

If you like Red Lobster's cheddar biscuits, you HAVE to try this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheddar-Biscuits/Detail.aspx

They are seriously the bomb!

Kat said...

So glad you are feeling better. I'm not there yet. I'm still not eating much.

I have a recipe on my blog for some porqupine balls. They are made with ground beef and they are super easy. You could try that!

:)

~**Dawn**~ said...

I just made the stuffed shells the weekend before last! They are so yummy.

Jaina said...

The bf made really good hamburger patties last night, we melted cheese on top of them and wrapped them in lettuce with avocado slices and sauteed mushrooms/onions.

Poltzie said...

Happy second tri Mama!
Sorry I haven't been around, that whole sickness thing kicked me on my ass.
Anyways, I could not eat chicken my WHOLE pregnancy. I ate it non-stop for the first few months of Lawson's life :) Lots of preggos say that they don't like chicken. Weird hey?
Anyways, can I get BigD's crockpot recipes please1