Monday, February 23, 2009

16 weeks: Our little Cashew
(Holy crap! 16 weeks already?!?)

Your Baby This Coming Week

Your baby now weighs more than the surrounding placenta. She measures about 4.4 to 4.8 inches (about 11 to 12cm) from crown to rump and weighs about 3.5 ounces (100g). She is positioned halfway between your pubic bone and your navel.

Fat, which is important for your baby's metabolism and heat production is beginning to form around this time.

The placenta, which will weigh more than a pound at full term, is also developing rapidly. It is now a large and well-established network of blood vessels responsible for exchanging nutrients and waste to support your baby.


P.S. I included a pic to show approximately how big our baby now is, measurement crown to rump (for those of you who aren't familiar with the crown to rump measurement, this does not include the measurement of the legs).

When I measured it out on a piece of paper and laid my pen next to the line I had drawn, I could not believe my eyes!!

This kid is growing like crazy!

9 comments:

remember moments said...

Amazing how fast the time goes by too - pretty soon you'll be delivering your bundle of joy. How exciting!

Aimée said...

It is such a miracle to see how quickly they grow inside of us. I do know what you mean about loving your baby before they are alive. It's a hard thing to explain, but there is just something about knowing you are growing another person inside of you. It stil amazes me when I look at my kids now! Once THEY were the size of an avacado! xo

Sarah said...

I have to thank you for the picture of the avocado. I can no longer eat cashews, lemons, and now avocados......thanks! lol! I'm kidding of course, but I do like the pen comparison SO much better. =) I dont often eat pens.

bekah said...

I cannot believe your baby is that big already!

Jewels said...

Its crazy to me too how big this kid is, to know something so large is growing in there, makes it more real than when it was an apple seed.

Stephanie said...

I cannot believe you are 16 weeks already! Time is flying girl!

Krystyn said...

Isn't it just amazing. And, seriously, you will blink, and your baby will be here. And, you will blink again and he/she will be talking to you.

Enjoy it!

Tabitha said...

Goodness ~ this baby is growing so fast!!
I love the picture ~ great to be able to get an idea of how big your little cashew is getting!! XX

Sarah R said...

Aw!! *love*

I am going to live vicariously through your blog. I would have been a week ahead of you but had a loss in January (at 12 weeks found out at HB appt. that the baby had stopped growing at 8 weeks).