Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I am so happy!!

Happy that I made the switch...and it's a good one.

Daryl took me to my appointment yesterday with my new OB...and we both LOVE her. She is a very sweet lady who gave us more information the first twenty minutes of meeting her than my old doctor had given me in my entire four months of pregnancy, so far! She didn't rush us, even though I knew she was jamming...the waiting room was packed. All of her appointments seemed to be on time (except for ours, but part of that was my fault. We didn't show up early enough and we had a TON of paperwork to fill out. And then not all of my medical records had been faxed over from the old doctor so they were trying to get those all together).

She looked Daryl in the eye and included him in all the conversations which I GREATLY appreciated, since my old doctor barely acknowledged his existence (and the first appointment we had, he had even had the gall to ask Daryl, "What are you doing here?"). And that used to piss me off becuz this is HIS baby as well as mine, and he is concerned about ME, his wife's, health. She asked Daryl his medical history, something the old doctor NEVER did. She had me pee in a cup (to check for proteins in my urine, etc) which again is something my old doctor NEVER did.

And this may sound totally silly to some, but, when she was locating the baby's heartbeat and got it, the doctor said something like "Oh there you are, little pumpkin" and my heart just melted. I felt like my old doctor never acknowledged our baby as anything other than an "it" or a "thing" and that frustrated me to no end. And here was this new doctor, this woman who we had never met before yesterday, who seemed so warm and maternal and I think this is EXACTLY what I've been needing!

"Your pregnancy should be a fun experience." She told me, after Daryl explained how I would cry about the appointments with the old doctor. I nodded and thanked her for saying that. We left on such an upbeat attitude and I felt practically giddy.

Oh, and the best part? In TWO WEEKS we can find out the sex of the baby!! I can hardly wait, I'm so excited!

So, in closing, thank you ALL for helping/suggesting/pushing me to find a new doctor. I hate change, am afraid of it, despite always knowing that it is usually for the better. I just wish I had done this sooner!!

23 comments:

Aimée said...

That is wonderful news! I'm so happy for you, that you have found a sensative and caring doctor. It makes all the difference in the world! YAY for you!!

remember moments said...

April - that is awesome! I'm happy that you found an OB that is really great. She sounds very sweet. I also had/have a female OB and I loved her. She was wonderful. I cannot believe you hadn't peed in a cup @ all, I did that @ every visit. Sounds like things will be a lot better with your new OB.

Stephanie said...

Oh I am so happy for you both! It makes the world of difference when you enjoy your doc visits!!
2 MORE WEEKS...Holy crap..how exciting!!!
I cannot wait, so I can only imagine how you feel ;)

Julie said...

Yay!! Nice dr lady!! I am so psyched for you guys. It sounds like you made the right move for many reasons...I had to pee for every visit and Jim's medical history was taken at my first appt because there are certain things they need to look/watch for depending on your heritage.... especially the mediterranian area so glad I married an italian...LOL

I am so happy you are happy!! and now Big D can feel even more involved. 2 weeks I can't wait to start shopping :)

Melissa said...

Way to follow your gut! It very rarely leads us wrong. I'm glad that you really like your new OB...that is so important when your bringing a new little life into this world!

Congrats!

bekah said...

Im so happy to hear that you love your doctor!! thats so exciting! she sounds great!

Poltzie said...

YAY, so happy for you!! A good doctor makes all the difference, for sure!
I can't believe that you will know if it's a boy or girl in TWO weeks. Are you gonna do a poll?

Sarah said...

I'm so happy you found a doctor you really like. Its very important.

Krystyn said...

Oh, that makes a world of difference. I'm so glad you found a new doctor!

RCRambling said...

Okay, the fact that your old doc never had you pee in a cup, really irritates me. That is standard practice, so you were getting substandard care prior to this. And that he questioned your hubby's presence at the appts? Kind-of ridiculous (and reminds me of an OB/Gyn I kicked to the curb prior to pregnany).

So glad that you found a doctor you like and all is well!

April said...

I would LOVE to set up a poll but I have no idea where to find out. Anyone have a clue?

Robyn said...

Yay, I'm glad the new doc is better!!
It will make a world of difference.

tricki_nicki said...

I'm so glad you changed. You want a friend sharing this stuff with you, and it sounds like your old doc was anything but! Can't wait to find out what you're having!! I totally think you should do a poll too! But I have WP, so I'm sure the process is different.

April in CT said...

This is fantastic news! I'm so happy for you both that you found a Dr. to be comfortable with. The less stress, the better!

Kel said...

Yay...I'm so glad you found a new doctor that you are happy with...it's good to know you trust the person who will be so intimate with your life the next few months.
~K

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

wonderful news!!

the cubicle's backporch said...

I am so glad that you like your new doctor! Now that's one less thing you have to worry about!

ALF said...

I have been away from your blog for so long. I have been thinking of you, however, and meaning to check in to see how things are going with your pregnancy (and life in general). I am so glad to hear that things are going well.

It has been advised that I find a new OB-GYN before I get pregnant because the last time I left my yearly exam I was hysterically crying because the doctor told me that I'm getting too old to have kids (I'm 28).

I'm glad to hear you found a doctor you like!

Tabitha said...

I am so glad to read this April ~ you did the right thing and what you said is so true ~ pregnancy should be a happy time and not one spent worrying about your Doctor!!
I am so excited that you will find out the sex of the baby!!
Take care ~ love and big hugs XXXX

April said...

Alf-Your doctor is an ASS!! 28 is NOT too old to have kids! I'm 32 years old and I certainly am not too old to have kids! Obviously, once we hit 35 there are factors that come into play that they have to look out for (Downs, etc.) but it certainly does not mean we are "too old".

Take it from me, find a new doctor NOW while you don't feel the rush and pressure. It will be TOO stressful to deal with once you ARE preggo (damn hormones, I cried CONSTANTLY every time I left the old doctor's office LOL). I really do wish I had made this change a long time ago! My old doctor was a TOTAL ass!! Good luck in your hunt for a new OB-GYN!!

Kat said...

Yeah!!!! I'm so glad you found a good doctor. That is so important!

Flea said...

HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY!!!!

kittyconcerto.com said...

Whoa there! Your old doctor A) NEVER checked your urine, and B) asked the FATHER what he was doing there?!?!

OH HELL NO!!!!

I'm THRILLED that you have a fantastic doctor now! And she calls your little one pumpkin. I could melt. :-)