Thursday, February 05, 2009

I got to hear the little Cashew's heartbeat today!!

It was such an emotional moment for me. I was literally on the verge of tears, ready to let them go, when a wave of guilt washed over me that Daryl could not be there to hear it with me (this is the first appointment he's had to miss due to his work schedule). And while I struggled to control my emotion the funniest thing happened, I started to laugh! Which made my belly jiggle and the doppler move around and the h/b got static-y so I tried to STOP laughing since I wasn't ready to stop hearing that rapid galloping beat! And my mom, who had come to the appointment with me, was totally in awe. She didn't expect to get to hear the heartbeat (neither of us did!) so it was an unexpected treat. I lamented the fact that my Big D was not there to hear it but the nurse assured me that we'd hear it at every appointment from then on (of course I'll be at another doctor's office by my next appointment, but I'm assuming they'd do that the same way). And she also told me that it sounds like a strong, healthy heartbeat which made me smile.

The doctor FINALLY got the measurement he needed and said everything looks good to him. We all kept chuckling at just how much the baby was moving around. I think this was the most active I'd seen him/her to date. Twisting, rolling, turning, arms and legs going a mile a minute. The doctor at one point said, "You have yourself a very active baby. And active is good!" So, it was super cute after we left the appointment, that my mom kept repeating almost like a mantra, "An active baby is a GOOD thing!"

I think my mom is now officially in love with her grandchild.

Anyway, I got a print out of the back of the baby's head and neck (since that's where the doctor spent most of the time focused on). It's a 4D shot and it's so cute....he or she has his/her arm up and covering the quarter section of the face that would have been visible, as if he or she is bashful of us looking. And the doctor, who of course was perfectly fine and nice during the appointment, made a second print out for my mom to take. I went and had blood drawn afterwards and then headed back to work, meanwhile wondering 'Am I making the right decision switching doctors?' Once I called Daryl he was like "Come on, April, you are switching! You have been miserable and you know this is how this doctor is. We'll have one visit where he's fine, and two more where he is cocky as hell, and I don't want you to be on this roller coaster of emotion and stress through out the pregnancy."

He is totally correct, of course. So, tomorrow I'll be stopping in his office on the way to work to tell them I need my medical records released to the new doctor's office.



Anyway, I swear, I feel like all I've been doing today is eating. And now the indigestion is killing me! If one more person tries to stuff a bite of something down my throat with the assurances of "It's okay, don't worry, you're pregnant!" I'm going to beat them over the head with the food item. Just becuz I'm pregnant does not mean I want to gain a bazillion pounds! What I WANT to ask after people say this, is, "Oh do YOU plan on carrying that extra 20-30 lbs. for me, after the baby is born? No, I didn't think so." So now I'm paying the price, and my tummy hurts. Ugh.

Ooh, on a side note, I had a massage yesterday! It was much needed. I wish I could get them more on a regular basis and with a licensed MT (instead of just with student therapists) cuz I'd love to work with one person who gets to know me and my body and all its quirks. But unfortuantely that is definitely out of my price range right now. And if we could afford it, I'd be signing up Big D first and foremost...that poor man has so many aches and pains due in part to his job but also from his motorcycle accident years ago. When he gets a massage I know it oftens gives him such great relief! Anyway, all I'm saying is I'd love to work on a regular basis with licensed MT. The students are great, don't get me wrong, but you start over "from scratch" essentially with every one since it's a different student every time. Yesterday came right at a good time though, cuz I've been having this pain in my low back on the right hand side...constant and not debilitating but definitely uncomfortable, so she worked that area good and I'm happy to report: no pain today!

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Aww..I'm so glad your mom was able to come with you!
You made the right decision to switch..like Big D says...it wont always be like that appt!
Glad everything is going well w/ cashew and you got to hear the h/b again!! How exciting!
Hope you start feeling better soon though!

Melissa said...

I love that your mom was able to hear the heartbeat! I can imagine what a special time that was for her.

And Big D is right. Switch doctors, you will be much happier in the long run. Good luck!

Krystyn said...

How cool that your mom got to be there. And, that Big D goes to most of your appts.

My hubby went to the first one with both girls and then the ultrasound, and that's it. Actually, he only heard their heartbeats via recording!

Glad everything looks good.

Peeveme said...

You can rent a home doppler so you guys can hear the heartbeat any time you want to. I rented one from babybeat dot com. I got the cheap one for 27 dollars per month. I only use it once or twice a week but the piece of mind it gives me it worth 27 buck a month.

Kel said...

Thats exciting...the heartbeat is a wonderful thing to hear. Glad your mother got to be there with you! :)
~K

Julie said...

I am so happy you had a good appt and what a nice treat for Grandma... I loved hearing the heartbeat, it never got old.

Listen to your heart, you'll make the right decision for you and your little one...

Stephanie said...

I loved hearing my girls' heartbeats. It was one of our favortie parts of each appointment. And I am so glad that your mom got to be there. My mom never made it to an appointment, and I regret that.

the cubicle's backporch said...

Congratulations! And Big D is right- you're switching doctors and it is the right thing to do!

Trannyhead said...

I'm so glad you're switching doctors ... that's definitely the right move. You've got a long way to go and you don't want to be in the delivery room with a jerk.

Jaina said...

How cool that you got to hear the heartbeat! How exciting for your mom to be there too, she had to have loved that :)

I've heard maternity massages are supposed to be really good for you. I hope you're able to indulge once in a while. ;)

Tiaras & Tantrums said...

it's the best sound ever isn't it!!

Poltzie said...

Yay, congrats on the heartbeat!! Isn't it amazing :) and yes, you get to hear it everytime from now on - whoot!!