Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I'm frustrated and I have a stress-stomach ache... but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Went to my doctor's appointment last night and after waiting the prerequisite 45 minutes, they ushered us in. The first words out of the doctor's mouth as he brought up the baby on the ultrasound was, "Oh, this baby is already not cooperating." I wanted to instantly roll my eyes and tell him to lay off my kid. Instead I silently watched the screen.

After about 10-15 minutes of the doctor poking around and analyzing, he said he still could not get the measurement. So I asked, "What does this mean?"

"It means you need to come back on Thursday."

I immediately looked at Daryl whose face had tightened up and he looked disgusted. And then as if I wasn't irritated enough with the doctor, after I pulled my shirt back down and was still laying there while he randomly chatted with us about the damn weather (THE WEATHER? you can't give me information on my pregnancy but you can talk about the stupid mother-f'ing weather?), he RESTED HIS HAND ON MY THIGH. I wanted to swat it off in disgust. I am in no way saying he meant that as an inappropriate gesture--I mean hell, my husband is standing right there--but if it was meant as a "fatherly" gesture or something, he could shove that hand up his ass.

I am DONE with this man. DONE with his God-complex. DONE with his sarcasm, horrible bed-side manner and lack of time and interest in my pregnancy. Just plain DONE.

I did cry again in frustration today BUT we've made progress. I asked a couple more friends who I knew delivered somewhat locally (cuz the majority of my friends have delivered at Yale which is not SUPER far but in proximity to mine and Daryl's work, it's farther than we want to go). I called one of the OB-GYN's who my friend and her sister went to and loved AND it turns out that Daryl's' cousin went to as well. I briefly explained my situation to the woman who made the appointments and kinda hesitantly asked if I should keep the appointment with my current doctor on Thursday, just becuz the window for this test ends this Sunday. She agreed I should keep it but then said to have my medical records faxed over to the new doctor's office after all was said and done, and to call after to make an appointment. I breathed a huge sigh of relief to hear her say that.

While I am NOT looking forward to going back to the asshole-doctor again this Thursday, I feel better knowing I already have a plan in place to get OUT. And the hospital that my potential new doctor delivers out of has one of the best birthing centers in CT. I've heard/read many good things about them today after asking around and looking online. I'm not sure if Daryl will be able to go with me on Thursday...even though I know he would want to, he is trying to save up his PTO so that it accumulates for other more important appointments and for when the baby is born. So UGH, I might have to deal with this f'ing doctor myself on Thursday. But I'll deal. His time is almost done, thank goodness.



How am I doing otherwise? Not bad, not bad. No more nausea (unless I'm absolutely ravenous), not as much fatigue even though I still go to bed somewhat early. I've gotten into a pattern of going to bed and watching television around 9:00 and I enjoy it. I keep telling myself to take advantage of it now while I can. Sleep and rest while I CAN sleep and rest!

What else? My hips and lower back have started aching. My body pops and creaks a lot more so than usual when I get up from a chair/bed. Sleeping is a tad more uncomfortable, but not impossible. I am looking into a maternity pillow. (Kandi-I looked at Babies R Us this weekend for the Snoogle and wouldn't you know it, the damn store was freaking OUT of stock! Jerks! LOL) Oh, and the best part of all, everyone says that I should be peeing LESS now as I enter into the first trimester? Um, yeah, not me. I pee way more. I'm up about 3-5 times a night peeing. And during the day? I lose count. Also, I'm still waiting for this beautiful lustrous hair and fabulously glowing skin to kick in. Instead I still have my pizza-face and limp locks. In my face's defense, it has cleared up a TINY bit but just a tiny bit. And my hair? I'm ready to cut if off. For reals, yo. And don't tell me not to...this has been a long time in coming.

Otherwise? I feel great! I'm serious! I know that sounded like a lot of complaining, but I really do feel a lot better and that makes me very happy!!

20 comments:

bekah said...

yay on the new doc!!!

Stephanie said...

What a jerk...good luck at the new doc though!!
Hopefully you will be much more happy!!

Amy said...

If you wouldn't do anything regardless, then just don't go back for the test. I just read about it. . .it's not even a diagnosis, it will only tell you whether you want to consider doing the testing that WILL actually give you the diagnosis.

RCRambling said...

Glad you have your out planned! Hoping the the new doc is wonderful, too!

Mommychicky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mommychicky said...

Let me recommend the Boppy Cuddle Pillow. My hips were a wreck during and after my pregnancy and that thing saved me. I still use it when my knees hurt...

Robyn said...

What a creep, I'm glad you are finding someone else.
I used a big body pillow for most of my pregnancy.

Krystyn said...

I'm glad you found a new doctor.

But, if this one does something you don't like...stand your ground and tell them. Ask if you can wait 10 minutes (since you are already there) and try again. You are your best advocate:)

Jaina said...

I'm glad to hear that you've found a new doctor. I hope this new one works out.

Stephanie said...

You did the right thing. Pregnancy should be a happy time and you should look forward to your doctor visits. I'm glad you lost the guy.

Poltzie said...

Sorry your pregnancy has been so shitty so far. Hopefully you like your second tri better?

The Captain's Wife said...

What Dr. did you pick? I am going Thursday too....

Also-you can have my body pillow. I literally slept with it 3 times after spending a lot of money on it..it wasn't for me. I prefer a plain old pillow between my legs.

You can email me and I can arrange to meet you to give you the pillow anytime...don't spend money on it...

Sweetly Single said...

I hope the new doc is much better!!

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

Good luck with the new DOC. My knee doc isn't the best..I think he has just been doing this for too long. I felt like he was about to yell..NEXT after he talked to me. I hate feeling like a number and not a person.

The Captain's Wife said...

I think you can email me via this comment.....otherwise go to my profile and click on email me...

kittyconcerto.com said...

I'm so glad that you have an appointment with a new doctor! I didn't like hearing the stuff about this one. And his hand on your thigh?!?! Um, excuse me??? I don't think so!

Sorry about Babies R Us running out of them. Bastards! LOL. You can still check on line (amazon) or the boppy, they are popular too.

the cubicle's backporch said...

I'm so glad you picked another doctor. Becoming a mom is stressful enough, dealing with a weirdo doctor doesn't need to add to that!!

OHmommy said...

April, it is so important to have a doctor that you love. After this Thursday, get on it and make it happen. You WILL immediately see a huge difference.

xoxoxo hang in there.

Steph said...

Ohmommy is right that is why I changed OBGYn's this time around it will make a world of difference.

~**Dawn**~ said...

1. I am so glad you're getting a new doctor. Nothing is worse than a doctor you don't like. You don't need that stress.

2. I know everyone is saying boy boy boy for you but after reading the end of your post, I am officially placing my vote in the pink column. ;-)