Thursday, February 26, 2009


THIS is where I want to be today. Cuddling, at home (please excuse the huge pile of dirty laundry in the hallway), with the sweetest of all my fuzzy-babies. Molly is the kitty and Tucker is the pooch. And they are not evil, even though those crazy-glowing eyes may say it.

I'm just really tired today (having more and more trouble sleeping lately. Between flip-flopping from my left to right side all night when one hip starts to ache, getting up to pee multiple times, and then waking up in a panic becuz I keep ending up on my back, a place I'm not supposed to be--I wake up exhausted every morning now. And I'm moody today for some reason. Feel like crying but honestly there is no reason behind that. Blah.

Oh! Speaking of my kitty, Molly, I have a favor to ask of you guys! Have any of you ever had your dog or cat suffer from a food allergy? Poor Molly has a problem that I've become aware of within the past week or so. Her fur at the base of her body, right before her tail, is sparse. It's not a bald spot, however the fur has thinned out. And starting there and going mid-way up her back, she has a red, spotted, scabby rash. I also felt more of it, this morning, when I was petting her up by the back of her neck.

I'm at a loss. I have not changed any cleaning products or anything in the house. All of my kitties are indoor kitties. The only thing I can think of is I slightly changed their food about 3 weeks ago. I always give them Purina One Indoor Advantage...the one for sensitive bellies that's made with yogurt, turkey etc. (one of my other kitties has a puking problem and this is the ONLY food that doesn't make her puke all the time). Anyway, about 3 weeks ago, I suddenly realized I was COMPLETELY out (bad cat-Mommy!) so on my lunch break I ran to the store. Which of course did NOT have the type of food I feed them. They DID have Purina but it was a different version. I bought it anyway, thinking, "Hey, it's the same brand, how different can it be?" Well not only is Bailey, Miss-Pukey, up to her old ways but now THIS with poor Molly. I really think it may be a food allergy.

I'm going out today to get the regular kind of cat food I always feed them, but I wanted to see other pet-owners opinions. Does it sound like a food allergy to you? She doesn't seem to be having any other problems, she's just as lovable and roams the house as usual. I figured I'd hold off on calling the vet (who will charge me an arm and a leg for a vet visit) until I switch her back to her normal food and see if that helps alleviate the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions though of anything I can put on her back to maybe help the healing process? Or should I just leave the area alone?

21 comments:

*Jac* said...

I've had 3 animals with allergies now. My cat has a scabby rash her whole life. It didn't seem to bother her, it was just ugly and made her fur fall out, but nothing would fix it. My dog has horrible skin allergies. We've changed his food, we've bathed him, nothing seems to work. Even the vet is at a loss. My kitten started getting a rash on his chin which was apparently because we were using plastic bowls instead of metal for his food. The plastic bowls attract bacteria and were more or less giving him zits. They do sell a anti-itch shampoo at the pet store and I'm sure they have creams or wipes too. It helped my dog for a couple days, so I'm sure it will help your cat too. Good luck and I'm sure she'll be just fine once you switch the food back.

Sweetly Single said...

lack of sleep + hormones = tears

at least it did for me... no worries darling you are normal!!

As for your kitty...don't freak out or anything but if changing her food back to the old stuff doesn't work you might want to either take a trip to the vet or check for bugs

Anonymous said...

My cat got this out of the blue and took it to the vet found out it was his food, he is allergic to food with the seafood. I switched his food and it went away.

Chele76 said...

isn't it funny how cell phone pics reverse themselves? Mine does that to and I have no idea why... but in addition, I'm guessing your first-choiuce place to curl up woun't be in the hallway, on the floor, in front of the stairs! ;)

April said...

Okay, so no, I don't want to curl up on the hallway floor, 'Chele. LOL I would much prefer the couch or my bed! That pic was actually taken outside the bathroom...the animals are always waiting for me when I come out of the shower! Ha ha!

Burzum said...

Hay!
I'm surfing on the net, and I'm find your blog.
I like it!

Especially on your blog i like your care about pets. I also have one pet- dog - Alaskian Malamute.

This days, I'm created one blog with free funny quizzes for blogs and web sites.
I belive how they will help yours visitors. Put some of them on your blog.
Take a look:
Link:
http://www.mysingledating.com/quizzes/quizzes.htm

Greetings,
Tommy
http://free-quiz.blogspot.com

Julie said...

When I was 4mos prego...my cats were acting up in weird ways. i took them to the vet and the vet said "anything new at home? move?" I said "I'm 4mos pregnant" and she said "there you go" She went on to say animals can sense things like that and sometimes stresses them a bit. What could be a minor issue normally can be worse. Sebastian had acne on his chin, Dr said he probably always has an irritation there, but with his sensing the baby- out popped a big ole zit. The Vet gave me "kitty clearasil" too LOL. After that I talked to all my cats about the baby in my belly and when Em came home they rubbed up against her carrier like-see Mommy we listened!!

tricki_nicki said...

So sorry you're feeling blue...but thankfully it'll be summer soon! The summer sun will probably help a bunch (at least that's what I keep telling myself!)

I worked at a vet clinic as a dog groomer while I was in college. I don't know what's going on with your kitty's skin (it could definitely be a food allergy), but in the meantime, T-Lux shampoo is the BEST for clearing up skin problems. That'll definitely help the healing process, not to mention her fur will be gorgeous!

tricki_nicki said...

I just looked into it and they changed their name. Here's a link to a site that sells it:

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/keratolux.htm

Amy said...

Don't worry about winding up on your back. It'll be fine! I think it's probably better to get a good hour or so of sleep on your back, than to not sleep at all.

remember moments said...

Hope you can get some rest when you get home tonight.

I've had cats all my life, but never had something like that happen. I hope switching the food back fixes everything.

Kat said...

Talk about moody. The other day the hubby had me laughing SO HARD when we were talking on the phone. And then the minute I hung up with him I started bawling. Uncontrolably for like 10 minutes. It was so weird. I just couldn't stop myself. Crazy lady!

As far as the sleeping thing goes, I have been having a hard time too. Mostly because my neck and shoulders were so screwed up. But I did some prenatal yoga (I have a great DVD) and slept great! Maybe you could try that right before bed. ???

Tabitha said...

Oh dear, I hope that your cute little kitty is all better soon!

I remember being tired ALL the time when I was first pregnant ~ but I think it got better eventually.
Take care ~ love and hugs XXX

Krystyn said...

I'd like to be relaxing, too!

Heidi Renée said...

I wouldn't put anything on her until you consult your vet. Plus, if you put something on it she might lick the area even more, causing it to remain irritated. But definitely switch the food back--kitty bellies are so picky!

April in CT said...

I'm going thru skin problems with my pooch that sound quite similar. We just did an 8 week test of having him on a hypo-allergenic food, but unfortunately he's still got sores/itching. Our vet said the next step is allergy testing and I seriously don't even want to know what it will cost. He never had this issue until we moved to CT. The vet said just like people they can develop allergies to things they previously had no problem with.

If you do change the food back make sure to give it a few weeks. It can take quite a while for it to get out of their system and clear up if it's food related. Good luck! :)

RCRambling said...

Food switch, as well as sensing the change coming in the household could easily do this. Switch back to the normal food, and just monitor her reaction. Watch when and if she is paying extra attention to that area. That might help you to see if something else is triggering this - a behavior she has adopted.

Poltzie said...

sorry, no thoughts on the kitty but sorry about the sleeping.
Do you have good support pillows and are you wearing good shoes?

Flea said...

I think you'll know for sure when you switch her back. Sounds like it.

Bluevelvet24 said...

My mom has my cat Figaro and he has allergies like you are describing on your cat. She had brought him to the vet and they gave him shots and it worked for him. No more scabs on him. I think that they were cortizone shots or something like that.

Trannyhead said...

I really think sleeping on your side is the worst part of pregnancy. I'd always wake up on my back, too! I hated sleeping on my side ... towards the end of pregnancy, my son's head was really low in my pelvis and it caused lots of pain when I tried to sleep on my side. ugh!