Well, it has begun.
Big D has begun working on the nursery!
It is going to be a long and painful process though. First and foremost, he wanted to take down wallpaper that had been painted over (when I moved into this house, the walls were painted a horrible blue color with black trim. I painted over that, but always noticed weird patterns on the walls of bumps and dips and lines. And being a novice painter at the time, I did not bother sanding the walls one iota). Big D was the one who pointed out to me that they must have have painted over wall paper.
Sure enough, one day we started peeling back the paint past my green color, past the previous owners blue, to a blue striped wallpaper underneath. Lovely.
So the other night, Daryl began the horrible and arduous process of trying to tear it down. In about 2 hours worth of blood, sweat and tears, he'd only managed to do a small section of wall AND I heard a foul word erupt from the nursery, followed by:
"These assholes wallpapered over MORE wallpaper!"
Finally we came to the conclusion together, that his best bet would be to rip the walls down completely and just re-sheet rock them. Start with a clean slate. I am really digging that idea! And it means less stress for Big D (and time wasted) without having to worry about tearing down two layers of wallpaper and doing a major sanding job on each wall. Blech.
While I would LOVE to share pictures of the very beginning of this process, I could not locate anywhere--in our mess of a kitchen (remember, we're still in the remodeling process there as well!)--the stinkin' cord to upload the photos from the camera. Boo. So you'll have to wait a bit for picture proof.
But, anyway, the other issue is that part of the hardwood flooring in the nursery had buckled due to a leaky a/c unit last year. We were unsure up until yesterday of how we were going to rectify it. But then Daryl's friend J pointed out that if ever was a time to refinish the floors (we have been dying to refinish the hardwood floors in both bedrooms but with a houseful of animals and two full time work schedules, it was something we were resigned to put off) that now would be a good time to refinish the floor in the nursery, at least. Hmmmm, very good point! The room will be empty (after we get a dresser out of it, and some other random "junk") and it would be convenient to do at that time. My only concern, of course, is even with the room closed off, I wonder if the smell will be too much for both ME and also our kitties and dogs. So, something to ponder and hopefully ask around about.
So, with all that said, we haven't gotten to the "fun part" yet of picking out paint chip colors.
To be honest, we haven't even figured out what bedding we want so I guess we need to get on that, then figure out what color(s) to paint.
The only thing we've looked at so far is cribs...and I have a roundabout idea of what style and color crib we like. What's nice is we both agree on the deeper, warmer darker tones of wood.
And we've been looking at the convertible cribs (that go from a crib, to a toddler bed and finally into a full size bed). We're not set in stone on this, but it's definitely something we both like.
But enough about cribs, back to the room! Basically, it's a mess right now. And there is lots and lots to do. I will do my best to get as much done as I can, but when it comes to dust, and paint fumes, and random particles floating around in the air--I will most likely be in my favorite spot. On the living room couch, with a book or magazine in hand, cheering on my hard-working man. (And ogling his muscles as he works--yah, baby. There is nothing hotter to me than a man who can do manual labor. Must. Go. Take. Cold. Shower. Now.)
Poor Big D has his work cut out for him!