Sunday, April 12, 2009

I am getting freakin' HUGE!


Today, before leaving for home after a relaxing and fun-filled visit at my MIL's and step-FIL's house in NY, I decided to take a few preggo-belly shots. I was in the middle of packing mine and Big D's stuff, in the guest room we stayed in, when it dawned on me that I really should make use of the big 'ol mirrors in the room!



If I look this big now, at a mere 23 weeks, it scares me to think of just how monstrous I'll look at 38-40 weeks! And you'd think I'd packed on a bazillion pounds, right? But I don't feel like I've been out of control eating (well not including this weekend...ha!). I'm at about a 16 pound gain right now.



And still growing.



Holy. Crap.

But, I can't knock it. While I definitely am growing, on the inside, I feel as if I'm glowing!

My body is going through all these changes for a very specific (and beautiful!) purpose...one that, despite the ever-growing fatigue, horrible heartburn, frequent welling up of the eyes (oh yes, the crying is back, people!) and increasing girth, I am so thankful for!


Our baby boy! I feel him more and more every day and when I'm concentrating on his movements, I can't help but stare off into space and smile. Even today, as this little muffin laid on my bladder (that I had JUST emptied!) and made me run to the bathroom again, I couldn't help but laugh about it.


Last night, as Big D and I laid quietly in bed in the guest bedroom at his mom's, after a very fun and tiring day, he nestled up close beside me, our bodies making two parentheses that curled protectively around our baby boy within. He laid his hand on my belly and without a word, we both listened and waited. It was Hunter's quiet time and I figured Daryl wouldn't get to feel him as the baby had seemed to settle down a while before.


But, as if he knew Daddy was waiting, Hunter started moving again! Daryl's voice was laced with awe and love, as he said, "Wow! I felt him that time....it felt like he rolled underneath your skin!" Both of us content and happy, we drifted off to sleep.


All of these moments, so quick in time, just reaffirm how terribly lucky and blessed we are. I could not be happier.





23 weeks: Our baby Hunter

Your Baby This Coming Week

Your baby is now about 8.4 inches from crown to rump (21cm) and weighs about 1.2 pounds (530g).

Your baby's face and body now look more like a full-term baby. He now looks close to how he will look at birth.

The eyes, though they are still closed, are now close together on the front of the face and the ears are in their final position. Eyelashes are fairly well-developed and hair is growing on your baby's head.

Your baby's movements are becoming more restricted now as he fills up the uterus more. Cartwheels and somersaults inside the amniotic sac are no longer possible, but he can still hold the umbilical cord and touch and feel around him. Though your baby is already living in tight quarters in the amniotic sac, he will soon have even less room to move around.

His vital organs are now quite mature. However, since the lungs are not yet fully formed, your baby would have breathing problems if born prematurely at this stage.

Your baby is becoming increasingly conscious of the world outside and may feel startled when you are startled.

Your baby may alternate between having very active and very calm periods.

Your baby may have facial expressions such as frowning, squinting and pursing of the lips.

24 comments:

Krystyn said...

Momma and baby Hunter are looking good.

Robyn said...

You are looking great. Heartburn means lots of hair, trust me. You and Daryl are so sweet together, you're going to be great parents.

Heidi Renée said...

Oh my gosh, you are too cute.

Sarah R said...

You look so cute!

And how sweet that he moved for D....

remember moments said...

Great pictures!! Hope you had an excellent Easter weekend!!

Sarah said...

Awww, you look great!

Julie said...

So cool!

I'm with Robyn-Hearburn=hair.lots of it.

My heartburn stayed after too. horrible.

Old Mom New Baby said...

If heartburn = hair, then I just advise you dont get too much, my mom had it so bad with me it burned my hair off. I was bald for 3 years ;)
You do glow and look fabulous.

This is such a special time for us. Where we are felling our little men moving and our husbands (DF in my case) is starting to enjoy our son's more and more too. Not just knowing we are pregnant, but getting to know the little life within.

Tendrils said...

You are beautiful! Baby Hunter is growing fast! Enjoy the glow! I had heartburn as Punky got bigger......and then only when I was lying down trying to sleep....I chewed Tums like they were candy!

the cubicle's backporch said...

You are too cute!! I think it looks like you've gained all the weight in your belly (you go girl!)... you sure there's not twins in there? :)

Emily Jean said...

You look adorable!I love to see a woman who embraces pregnancy and all the beautiful changes to her body!

Kat said...

AHHHH!!! I love your baby belly!!! So cute! (And I love your hair too. It looks so good on you!)

Isn't it just the most amazing and awesome thing ever? I just love being pregnant. :)

Morgan said...

This really is a beautiful post, and you look beautiful yourself. You can really see your pregnancy glow in you! You look great April and so does that cute belly of yours! I can't wait to see pics of Lil' Hunter! You aren't going to forget about us when you have him now are you missy!?!?

Poltzie said...

No you don't look that big yet, you do look super cute though!!
I've heard that apple cider vinnegar can help with the heartburn.

3 Peas in a Pod said...

I love how you and Big D were making a parenthesis around Hunter. So sweet. Especially since Hunter cooperated and let Daddy in on some of the specialness (is that a word? LOL) of feeling him move.

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

Stephanie said...

You look baeutiful girl!! Baby Hunter looks like he is safe and sound in that oven!!!

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

You look wonderful! And believe me . . . just when you think you can't get any bigger, you will!

And I agree with Robyn on the old wive's tale . . . lots of heartburn = lots of hair!

OHmommy said...

Oh... you are SO cute. SOOOOOOOo cute.

kittyconcerto.com said...

You ARE glowing and looking fabulous. And I was wearing that EXACT shirt on Easter yesterday! How funny!

PixieDust said...

You look so beautiful! I would give anything to be pregnant at the moment, but the time just isn't right. :)

Melissa said...

It's all baby, mom!! Doesn't look like you have gained any weight at all!!

bekah said...

you look Adorable!!!! I cant wait to look like this! Right now I just look like I ate a lot and am really bloated (both of which are true!)

Tabitha said...

What a lovely post ~ you look great ~ I love these belly shots!
take care ~ love and hugs Tab XX

Jaina said...

You're glowing, you look fabulous! Thanks for the pictures, I love them!