Tuesday, April 14, 2009

So, no new pictures to post yet (even though I did take some of the freshly primed walls the other night, but just haven't had a chance to upload them from the computer) but progress is being steadily made on the baby's nursery!


I'm psyched.

Big D is my hero. After our long weekend in NY, we got home Sunday around 3:30-4:00ish. After a quick run to Lowe's for a few supplies (and to pick up two cans of paint!), Big D was back in work-mode and sanding his little heart out while I made dinner. After quickly eating dinner, he put two coats of primer up on the nursery walls while I watched Twilight, for the second time, on my lazy butt. When it was all done, he proudly showed me his handy-work.

It looks great!

Big D had even painted a quick swatch of the new green paint we just purchased--one of our two colors...we're doing one color, emerald isle (if you click on the color names, you can see a link to each on the Valspar website. They look better in person!) on the top of the walls, and another color on the bottom, sumatra blend, and then a chair rail in the middle--and BOTH of us were so excited by this little happy green square of color! It made it seem more real...kind of like "Oh my God, we really are putting together a nursery in here!"

We decided to hold off on painting the walls until the hardwood floor is done, only becuz I had horrible visuals in my head of clouds of sand from the floor sticking to our freshly painted walls. Big D had all intentions of doing the floor himself (even though he's never sanded and re-finished a hardwood floor himself before! Not that THAT stops him. Until this, he'd never put up, taped and mudded drywall before either!) and today he called the store about renting a sander. The sander can only be rented for a 24 hour periods of time (before they charge you another fee) so he started wondering about time...when he could get it done, considering he works full time all week. The weekend was looking like the soonest to start the floor, which meant the paint would be taking a serious back-burner.

Then when he started pricing out the other supplies to re-finish the floor, just for ha-ha's he called a local company who does it. While our job is not "big enough" for them to warrant making the repeated trips out to do it, the man said he could come out this Friday (ooh, ooh! I just so happen to have the day off on Friday!) and sand the floors down and do everything else (staining and first coat of the sealer) BUT then Daryl could finish himself by doing the next couple coats of sealant within the next couple of days. His cost for this is pretty much EXACTLY what we had figured out we would be spending for Big D to do the work himself, AND it will get done quicker! Yippy!!

That makes Ms. Impatience, ME, very happy!

So Big D is hoping to maybe have the floors done by this weekend (not necessarily including drying time of the last coat of course...I don't remember if he told me how long it takes to dry. We are going to be using the water-based sealant--which in addition to being less smelly than the oil-based--which will dry quicker!). Then next week the color-painting extravaganza can begin!

Once floor and walls are all set, I'm looking forward to the crib being set up. And we need to put in some new wire rack organizational system in the closet so I can start putting stuff in there. I don't have a ton of baby clothes yet, however my good friend Carsa has given me two huge bags of clothes (onesies, socks, pj's, outfits, etc.) from 0-12 months that I'd love to start putting away SOMEWHERE.

And I'm thinking next month, May, we'll be ordering the matching dresser/changing table and I can't WAIT! Slowly but surely, it seems like everything is coming along!

And can I get an "AMEN" for having such a handy husband? I am so thankful for all the hard work he's been doing...I will be able to tell Hunter some day that his Daddy built his room with lots of love (never mind the blood, sweat and tears)!

16 comments:

remember moments said...

That is definitely VERY awesome that you have such a handy husband. I can't wait to see the nursery all complete - it sounds gorgeous!

Melissa said...

Awe! This sounds like babgy book material, mom!!

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Kori said...

Colors are ROCKIN! Love them. So glad everything is coming together. Can't wait to see it when it's all finished.

Are you registered anywhere yet?

nancy said...

AMEN!!!

This is all seriously awesome.

the cubicle's backporch said...

It's amazing how much money having a handyman around can save!! Mr. C just finished tiling our bathroom at the lake AND it looks fabulous. Hooray for the ones we love being handy! :)

hillsmithfamily.com said...

So glad all is going well as you get the nursery ready! It sounds like everything is coming together nicely.

Krystyn said...

WTG Big D....serious progress for you guys.

Kat said...

Oh, that is all just so exciting!!!! So much fun to see it all come together! YAY for handy hubbys!!!!! :)

Julie said...

Big D is awesome. Can he give lessons to my husband??

The floors will dry quickly...I think we had the floors done here on Thur and we moved in on Fri( I could be lying too)

Can't wait to see pics....

Stephanie said...

Wow..way to go Big D!!!!
I cant wait to see the final product!!

bookflutterby said...

That sounds so exciting! I'm actually a lot like you...I don't have patience when it comes to renovations. I want it done right away. :P Thanks for your nice comment! My DH wishes I wouldn't feed the greedy Chubbs...but he is SO cute. :P I told him "Too late, he's already been adopted." :P

Poltzie said...

Isn't it nice to have a handy hubby. It's funny how pregnancy inspires renos. I remember living in a construction zone my whole pregnancy!!

kittyconcerto.com said...

Isn't it nice having a handy husband? I think so!

Jaina said...

Awww, I can't wait to see pictures!

ALF said...

Congrats on all the progress - that's awesome! And the picture in the post below, you look great!

3 Peas in a Pod said...

I'll give you a big AMEN to that!! My hubby isn't so handy. :-)

Sounds like everything is coming along nicely. I'm sure you're anxious. Can't wait to see it all once it's done.

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo