Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sidenote: Ummmm...this post was supposed to go up TOMORROW, cuz I had already written about my Mother's Day for today's post--and I didn't want to inundate you guys by double-posting in one day. But now this post is STUCK here and it's showing up with tomorrow's date anyway. Weeeeeeird! So sorry for the double-posting! Hope you are able to read BOTH! :-)




27 weeks: Our baby boy Hunter

(As of this past Sunday, we hit the 27 week mark. WOO HOO! And I know it's figured out differently everywhere I read, but on the website I get my info on, it says I'm officially IN THE THIRD TRIMESTER!!! So exciting.)


Your Baby This Coming Week

Your baby weighs about 2.5 lbs (1.1kg) and is about 10 inches (25cm) from crown to rump and 15 inches (38 cm) long from head to toe.

At this time, the baby has taste buds which allow it to distinguish between sweet, sour and bitter tastes. (I think Hunter enjoyed our delicious Mexican this weekend!! Mmmm....beef burrito!!)

Brain tissue and brain development increases at this time as your baby grows the folds and grooves needed for a developed brain.

Eyebrows and eyelashes are probably present and the hair on your baby's head is growing longer.

Your baby's body is filling out, getting a bit fatter as fat deposition continues, but it is still somewhat red and wrinkled.

Your baby is big enough for his presentation to be determined. That is, your caregiver can probably tell how your baby is oriented in your uterus. He may be breech (bottom down) or head first. If your baby is in a breech position now, there is no need to worry as there is still plenty of room and time for your baby to change positions.

Your baby can feel pain and respond to it in the same way as a full term baby.


What else is going on in the baby-getting-ready-department?


The nursery is coming along FABULOUSLY. I'm so freakin' impressed with my husband's handiwork that I want to hug and kiss him often, to thank him. I go into Hunter's nursery on a regular basis and sit on the shiny hardwood floor and just stare. It's still pretty barren in there, with just the crib, BUT we added one other piece. This past Saturday I bought a shelf thingie...ugh, I'm drawing a blank on what you call it...wait, a BENCH! Sorry, preggo-brain kicked in there. Anyway we got a cute wooden bench that has, below the seat part, three little square cube-shaped spaces. After we paint it (or if we decide to stain it, still undecided) I will buy three little baskets to put in each square. Extra storage space is always appreciated. So right now it's in the baby's room and just has some random stuff in it (diapers a friend gave me, a couple of frames waiting to be filled with adorably cute baby pictures, etc). But still no dresser ordered yet (which is slowly driving me insane), and no blinds on the windows or area rug on the floor. I'm feeling anxious to get these things done, little by little. I don't know if it's the nesting mode kicking in or what, but the more I have hanging to get done, the more stressed out it is making me!!

We did however buy the wire shelving unit for Daryl to install in the closet. Once he does that, I can start putting away SOME of the adorable hand-me-down clothes I've been busily washing from friends.

We put up some super cute decals that match the bedding we'll be using...cute little safari animals. There was an elephant, a giraffe (my favorite), a lion, a zebra and some monkeys, amid little green tufts of grass and leaves. I contemplated taking some photographs of them up on the walls, but I figured I'd wait to share pictures of the FINISHED product with you guys when the nursery is done. If you are too impatient to wait though, let me know, and maybe I can snap a couple of shots tonight. The decals look wicked cute against the green paint. I'm so in love with it!!

I finally emailed the hospital about signing up for birthing classes. And a tour of the birthing center. I'm really looking foward to the tour! So I should be hearing back from them sometime this week, to get me and Big D all signed up.

And our Baby Shower-BBQ is coming up!! June 27th!! The invites are going out soon from my Mother-in-Law. We opted to have a Family Shower (spouses and children welcome) becuz Big D and I are just really big on family. And since the shower will be at Daryl's aunt's house, there will be fun stuff for the kids to do: a giant playscape, a jumping house, and plenty of games in their huge yard. And lots of BBQ-pot luck food for all of us adults to indulge in. ;-) I can hardly wait to see my friends and family and to have a great party!

And last but not least, I go in mid-week to do my glucose tolerance blood work. And then the following week we go for an ultrasound. I'm SO eager to see my boy, again!!


On a non-baby front...mine and Daryl's wedding anniversary is coming up next Sunday! Can you BELIEVE it's been a YEAR since our wedding? And like TWO years since the utter-craziness that was wedding planning??? Time has just flown by for us.

We aren't going to be making a huge deal out of it, only becuz technically we've been married now for about a year and a half, but it still holds a sentimental value for both of us. Becuz of the utter craziness that is our upcoming weekend (and also the fact that we have so much baby-STUFF to spend money on), we are going to keep our celebration low-key and go out for a nice dinner together on Saturday night, and probably just exchange cards but not gifts (our actual anniversary day is Sunday but his Grandma just called to say, "I KNOW it's your first anniversary BUT I wanted to have your Father's birthday dinner this weekend. Do you mind?" Ugh. Well, yes, we do mind, but I'm too nice to say that. So we'll be spending our actual anniversary with his grandma and Dad. Super romantic. Heh.)


So, that's what's going on in our lives right now! Busy, busy, busy! The training with our Fidelco foster puppy, Timber, has kicked up a few notches. We were told AGAIN this past weekend that he is going to make a superb guide dog. I laughed to the trainer and said, "That's funny becuz he acts absolutely BONKERS at home, but acts like a saint during classes and his walks." She told me the craziest dogs at home, make the BEST guide dogs. So there is a fabulous life awaiting our sweet-faced seven month old puppy!

10 comments:

remember moments said...

What is it with Giraffes? I was/am super obsessed with them too and E's room is also Safari theme. Another friend of mine also collects giraffes for her little girl. Giraffes are just so darn cute!

Flea said...

Look at your baby gourd, how cute! I hope he doesn't come out all orange like that, though. :)

Emily Jean said...

Your shower sounds like it will be a blast!!! Can't wait to hear the dirt! I love the jungle decals for the nursery!

Sarah said...

I love those wall decals! Too cute.

ALF said...

Sounds like everything is coming along. That's great - I love reading your updates!

kittyconcerto.com said...

Congrats on making it to your 3rd trimester! Woo Hoo! And I really can't wait to see the nursery. I love the safari animals (and of course the Lion is my fav! Although I am also partial to the monkeys too).

Krystyn said...

Congrats on the progress in the room!

And, the wedding.

Wow, that means I've been reading your blog for over a year!

Jaina said...

What is a "playscape"? It sounds fun, why am I not familiar with this?

Those decals are SO adorable! I can't wait to see more pictures. :)

Erin Roseberry said...

Hi April! I love reading your blog and I just awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award. Stop by my blog to pick it up!

roseberryfamily.blogspot.com

BeeOhVee said...

The nursery sounds like it's going to be so fargin' cute! Can't wait to see the photos of the finished room.

BTW, your Mom's card from Hunter got me a little choked up. That was awesome.