A couple of questions for all the Breast-Feeding-Mama's--who have been there/done that or are currently BF'ing...
1. How do you feel about utilizing a used breast pump? My friend has generously offered to let me use hers. She has used it for her three children (but really only religiously for one child. She is a SAHM so she didn't have a huge need to pump), and her sister (also a good friend of mine) has used it very briefly for her baby. She currently has it lent out to a friend of hers, who I don't know. I don't' really have an issue with using it--she will be sterilizing it before it comes to me--however, Big D is weirded out by the thought of it. And now a second question, is there a way to buy new "pieces" for the pump and yet still utilize the "motor" of it? (hopefully that makes sense).
2. While breast-feeding, when did you first introduce a bottle to your baby? I've heard mixed things about this. I know a couple of friends who swear that the reason their child never wanted to use a bottle was becuz they waited too long to have him/her feed from a bottle. What is your experience/take on this?
3. I'm currently updating my registry and I'm unsure if there is anything else I should be putting on the registry in regards to breast feeding. I have only put on there Disposable Nursing Pads, so far. Any hints, ideas would be appreciated!
4. How did you store your breast milk after pumping? I'm pretty sure I want to use the milk storage bags, as it seems like it would work easier for compact storage in my freezer, but what did you use and how did it work for you? What brand?
5. Also, after talking repeatedly with some BF'ing friends, I've removed the bottles from my registry. After first doing some research, Big D and I had put on the Doctor Brown's bottles, but since a few of my friends children are not happy with the bottles/nipples they have, I wonder if I should just wait till I'm at that point and try a couple different brands to see which Hunter may like? I do have a friend giving me a bunch of her Dr. Brown's that her second daughter will NOT use (yet her first daughter loved them) so I will at the very least have something to start out with.
6. When you breastfed, and if you had "troubles/issues" at first, how long did it take you to really get into the swing of things? I'm just curious. I will be returning to work after my 12 week maternity leave (hopefully to part time, but that's still up in the air) so I'm pretty eager and hoping if we are successful, that it won't take forever to get into the "groove" so to speak. I want both myself and Hunter to be comfortable by the time I do have to go back to work. Oh, and I guess this is a kind of double-sided question as well. When did you start pumping? I would love to start as soon as I can, so that Big D will have the experience of getting to feed the baby as well. I don't want him to feel left out, ya know?
Okay, I feel like I had a couple of more questions but my brain is fried--I'm drawing a blank on what they were. I'll update this post if they come to me.
Any information you give me is appreciated! Please don't' feel like you will sound like a "know-it-all" or something...I want to absorb as much info as I can since I know it is different for everyone. Oh, and if you have any additional thoughts you want to add, even if it doesn't have to do with any of my questions, feel free!
I am going into this wanting to breast-feed Hunter but I do realize that it's not entirely up to me. I've had enough internal dialogue with myself to remember that if it doesn't work out, it doesn't make me less of a Mom. ;-) But I'm certainly going to try my hardest to be successful with breast-feeding!
Thanks so much for your help, ladies!