Monday, May 11, 2009

I love my Mom!

We had a very nice, relaxing Mother's Day yesterday. Big D and I picked up my Mom early, around 7:30am, and went to a local diner for breakfast. My Big D gave me two Mother's Day cards (one funny and one very, very sweet!) and my Mom gave me an unexpected a surprise...a gift! An adorable camo onesie that said "Major Cutie" on the front. And then the card, my favorite part of all!

The card was "From Your Little Boy" and when I realized she was giving me the card, from Hunter, I broke out into a smile. And inside, not only had she written "Love, Hunter Richard Cashin xoxoxoxox" but then on the inside of the card was written: "Mommy, Even though I'm just inside you, doesn't mean that I love you any less. From your tummy-boy, Hunter".

And I had to fight back the tears! My Mom is so damn cute.

We gave her her Mother's Day gift, then afterward breakfast we headed to a nursery to buy vegetable plants for our garden. Daryl has been chomping at the bit to get it started. Once home, Mom and I sat on the back porch drinking ice water and enjoying the warm rays of sun, as Daryl planted away. We spent about a good hour or two just relaxing outside.

Afterward, I brought my Mom home so we stopped at Dairy Queen on the way and got ice cream cones. I popped in with her to visit my grandmother for a bit, who has been dying to see my belly. I was momentarily in shock at how skinny my Grammie has become. While the cancer had gone away, she has since been going downhill and very ill. She is suffering from other ailments, including some after-affects of the chemo and radiation she went through. She has like no saliva in her mouth and can barely swallow without the aid of water or mineral oil. She's tired all the time and even when she is not sleeping, she is "resting" in bed. She was in bed when we got there. And I think the sight of her was what hit me the most...she is so, so skinny and her face has become almost gaunt. My Grammie has always been an attractive woman, and I remember back when I was 16 years old, when I was with her, people often confused her for my Mother, becuz of how young she looked.

Well, she doesn't look young anymore. :-(

SO that was an eye-opener for me. I'm glad I gave her some joy as she put a hand on my belly and reminisced about her own pregnancies of the past. We drank tea, three generations of grown women, and I said a silent prayer to myself that she will continue plugging along to see her first great-grandchild after he's born. When it was time to go, I kissed her soft wrinkled cheek and silently wished her strength. I kissed my Mom good bye and wished them both a Happy Mother's Day.

It was a good Mother's Day. Whether you call it for me a Pre-Mother's Day, a Bun-in-the-Oven Day (Daryl's favorite) or simply Mother's Day, I enjoyed it and spending time with the other Mom's in my life as well as my husband.

It was a good day.

11 comments:

remember moments said...

What a sweet day. So glad you could see your Grandmother. Happy Bun-in-the-Oven day...that's cute!!

3 Peas in a Pod said...

Sounds like you had a delightful pre-Mother's Day celebration April! One which you deserve. I'm sorry your Grammie isn't doing well. How lucky we are that we both still have our grandmothers. I hope she is around for Hunter's birth.

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

Stephanie said...

Sounds like such a great day!!
Sorry your grandmother isnt doing well, but I'm so glad you get to see her and still spend time with her!
I love the card your mom got you from Hunter..that is too sweet!!
Happy Bun in the oven day!!!

the cubicle's backporch said...

Aww... I'm glad you had such a great mothers day! It'll be your last one as a in-process mother!!

My Two Army Brats said...

Awww what a sweet day!

You're already a mother and you have a tremendous responsibility growing a little boy! Growing the babies is one of the hardest parts of motherhood. I'm so glad you got to spend the day with your own mom and grandmother!

- Sarah :-) said...

Hope you don't mind - I stumbled upon your blog and think it's adorable.

Congratulations on your first little one!! :-)

msprimadonna67 said...

...your tummy-boy Hunter....that is too adorable for words!

ALF said...

How sweet!

Amy said...

We went to DQ too! But I got a waffle bowl sundae. It was my lunch, really.

kittyconcerto.com said...

Happy Bun in the Oven day! And that is a very sweet picture of you, your mom, and your grandma. Its difficult getting older and I too hope that she is able to make it to see her great grandson.

And your mom IS cute! How sweet was that card? Adorable!

Jaina said...

Sounds like a beautiful day. Happy Mother's Day to you, a little bit late. Just think, this time next year you'll have little Hunter in your arms :) Oh the thought just makes me giddy!