Thursday, May 07, 2009

So, I'm home today trying to relax.

I was not feeling well this morning.

I actually started feeling crappy last night. After I got home from my OB appoinment (off topic..I unknowingly drove by a murder scene! There was a shooting in Middletown at Wesleyan University...and when I was driving home, I passed the library where there was yellow tape everywhere. It didn't dawn on me THEN that it was CRIME SCENE tape. Anyway, I joked to Daryl--who I was talking on the cell phone with--that I might be on the news. I drove right behind where the local news stations were filming. I still wonder if my red truck showed up on the six o'clock news. And I think they still haven't caught the shooter, who was the boyfriend who shot his girlfriend. What a scary world we live in!!!)

Anyway, after I got home, I started to feel kind of yucky. And I was ravenous becuz I had barely eaten much during the day, at least not much protein. And suddenly I realized something was different with my belly. It was going through brief periods of tightening and hardening and feeling slightly uncomfortable. No pain. After the second time it happened, I mused aloud to Daryl, "I wonder if I'm having Braxton Hicks contractions? I have no idea what they feel like."

I was already drinking water at this point but I went inside the house (cuz I was outside with the dogs and Daryl) and refilled my glass and attempted to lay down on my left side on the couch, with a small pillow between my knees. I was SO uncomfortable in that position, and found it slightly hard to breathe so I ended up sitting up and reclining, feet raised. I was so hungry by this point and all we really had in the house was pasta and I seriously was jonesing for PROTEIN. I told Daryl I wanted Taco Bell. I think I surprised even him with how much I consumed.

By this point, the belly contractions were going on for about an hour and a half to two hours, but maybe only like four or five or total? I wasn't quite sure when they started/stopped and if it was a NEW one or the same. And like I said, no pain, so I wasn't concerned. After a full belly, and two more glasses of water....relief!! I started to feel better! For the second night in a row I got a very decent night's sleep. Only woke up once or twice.

Anyway, this morning I woke up feeling fine. Hours later, fully showered and dressed, I took the puppy outside on his leash and felt a bout of dizziness while out there. I brought him in and put him in his crate, then when I bent over to latch Daisy in her crate, I felt another wave of dizziness accompanied by nausea. I was not comfortable with hopping in the truck to drive at that point so I called work to tell them I'd be about a half hour late so that I could sit down and breathe for a few minutes.

I wasn't feeling any better so I finally opted to stay home. I have to say, after eating a second breakfast (I ate first at seven a.m., then again at about 10:30am) I started to feel better but not great. I continued to hydrate with water. Then at noon, I realized I had to eat AGAIN cuz I was ravenous. Once I had lunch, and some ginger ale, and after spending most of my day reclined on the couch, what a difference!! I feel a lot better now.

So obviously this is a big lesson to me. LISTEN TO MY BODY. Continue to eat when I'm hungry and stop worrying about "eating too much" and drink water often. And REST. Something I don't do enough of.

Lesson learned.

18 comments:

3 Peas in a Pod said...

I'm glad you're feeling better April. You are like the energizer bunny. You amaze me with all that you do...especially while pregnant. Good for you taking it easy.

I hope you got a lot of much needed rest today.

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

My Two Army Brats said...

Glad you're feeling better I hope you stay that way!

Emily Jean said...

sO GLAD YOU FEEL BETTER!! This is the only time when you must eat when you feel the need to!! ENJOY!

Sarah said...

Always, always, ALWAYS listen to your body. And do not "diet" while pregnant.

When are you doing the glucose test?

April said...

Sarah, I can do the glucose test anytime between now and 28 weeks (I hit 28 weeks on the 17th) so I have to set up a day to do it.

remember moments said...

I tagged you in my post today!

bekah said...

aw feel better!! im sorry your having a rough day april!

the cubicle's backporch said...

I'm glad it was a simple fix!!

Kat said...

I've been having a lot of BH too. And they have been getting painful. It is so nerve wracking.

So glad you are feeling better! Have a great weekend!

kittyconcerto.com said...

At my class last night, the teacher went over Braxton Hicks. And guess what? DRINK WATER and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. Its like you were there girl! The uterus is constantly contracting, ever since you got pregnant, and it can get irritated and needs fluids (although way too much fluid can also irritate it (which is why the body doesn't like a full bladder).

Good for you for listening and doing the things that your body is craving. Hope you feel better soon!

Krystyn said...

Glad you are feeling better.

Water is the best cure for those contractions. Dehydration really brings them on..so please make sure you are drinking TONS of water!

And, I craved Taco Bell, too!

Morgan said...

Aww, hope you feel better soon girl! Take care of yourself and have a great weekend! Oh and all the clothes didn't fit in the huge envelope i got from walmart so it looks like im going to have to send it in a box, ill mail it tomorrow or monday at the latest!

Kel said...

Oh how I don't miss those days...but you're right - you should definitely listen to your body! :)
~K

Birdee said...

Glad your feeling better, funny how our bodies demand us to listen carefully.

Jaina said...

Yes yes, listen to your body. Especially right now. I'm glad you're feeling better. Have a fabulous weekend!

Steph said...

I hear ya on the sleep thing sister, I have been trying to get a good nights sleep for a week! Listen to your body it will guide you through this crazy fun filled process. Feel better!

Melissa said...

Lil' Hunter is hungry!! Feed that boy, mama!! Don't worry about the weight as long as that little one is baking in the oven eat as much as you need to feel comfortable.

And rest is always good, too! B:)

Morgan said...

Happy Mother's Day, soon to be mommy! :)