Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Went to my doctor's appointment this afternoon. Things are looking good.

Granted, I've gained six freakin' pounds in the past four weeks. I asked the doctor if that seemed excessive but based on my weight gain thus far, she wasn't worried about it. However, when it came time to measure my fundus height, she said, "Well you are measuring big."

I am measuring at about 30 weeks. I'm only 26 and a half weeks (I'll be 27 weeks on Sunday). While this concerned me a bit, again my doctor didn't seem worried. She said at my next ultrasound in two weeks, we'll check the fluid and make sure there is not too much. Has anyone else measured 3-4 weeks ahead like that? Does it mean anything? I mean, I read it could mean absolutely nothing, other than the fact that I'm measuring "big". Just curious.

Also, at that ultrasound we'll be checking the location of my placenta to see if it has moved up (as it should). Let's keep our fingers crossed that this bad-boy-placenta has hitchhiked up north!! I'm really hoping for a vaginal birth, and not a c-section, if I can help it!

I was also given the go-ahead to have my 1-hour glucose test done. I got my bottle of orange-flavored yumminess (that was sarcasm, in case you wondered) and I'm not looking forward to that, at all! I've heard too many stories from other ladies about how sickeningly sweet it is (and you're listening to a girl who doesn't like normally sweet drinks as it is, never mind something that will probably taste over-the-top grossly sweet to me!). And then exactly one hour later, I have to get the bloodwork done. So I'll probably do that one morning this week. Since I have to fast three hours (after my meal) before I can drink it, I'll have to do it on a weekday morning. We already have plans for 10:00am on Saturday, otherwise I'd just do it then.

Anyway, we listened to baby Hunter's heartbeat and it sounded perfect! And my doctor cracked me up. While we were listening, she said, "Hello there, honey!" You can tell she is a Mommy, herself. ;-) My blood pressure as well was "great". So for the most part, things are looking up!

After my ultrasound appointment, we go to appointments every two weeks. In the words of Daryl, "Holy moly!" Time seems to be speeding up now. Just more reason for me to feel anxious about all the unfinsihed items on our to-do list!

18 comments:

remember moments said...

Hey April - that is all great news!! I didn't find the 1 hr glucose test to be that awful. Hopefully it's easy for you too!

Aimée said...

In my case, when I measured big, I ended up having a big (and VERY healthy baby). That's me. It sounds like everything is going well. I look forward to hearing about how the ultrasound goes.

Fidgeting Gidget said...

A friend at work is not due until June 4, and she is measuring big and low on fluid, so she's being induced on May 22. She is going to the doctor on Monday, though, and she told me today that if the fluid is lower, they'll induce her Monday. I don't think she appears to be that big, but they're telling her that her baby will probably be a ten pounder. I think they got her due date wrong.

Flea said...

Sweet! Things are going really well for y'all!

Emily Jean said...

Isn't hearing the heartbeat the best ever!!!??? I loved my appts! The glucose test was not bad at all!! People hyped me up that it was sooo terrible, but it tastes like really carbonated orange soda! You will be fine!! :)

Kel said...

Time is speeding up, but its a good thing! So glad to hear all is well with baby Hunter! Good luck with your test...it is sickly sweet! :(
~K

3 Peas in a Pod said...

I measured big with my middle child. The doctor didn't sound concerned. He kind of just said it in passing. Not sure why they say that!!

I had the orange glucose drink too. Much to my surprise it wasn't bad. I worried about that too because I had heard so many stories and it was just like drinking an orange soda. A little sweeter but not much. The next pregnancy I had the red kind and it was very sweet. Maybe orange is the way to go. For my third pregnancy I requested the orange flavor!!

Glad everything is looking good with you and Hunter.

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

The Captain's Wife said...

6lbs is no biggie. Don't stress it. You are being healthy for hunter...measuring a little big is really no biggie either. If you were measuring several CM bigger then there may be some concern, but you are only a couple....in the end I was measuring 4 CM behind and had a 8.4 baby!

The glucose test also not a huge concern. Just chug the shit as fast as you can! It's like drinking orange jolt. What I did was had a donut in the car waiting for me! lol

Stephanie said...

Sounds like things are going great!! (which I love to hear!)
Just hope you dont have a 10 pounder like I did! lol

RCRambling said...

I measured big, and with the ultrasound, we found out that my fluid levels were too high. They sent me for a more in-depth ultrasound (3-D), where we discovered a concern that turned out to be nothing once he was born.

Don't let it worry you - everyone is different. I'll keep you in my thoughts, that all is well and comes back just fine.

Amy said...

I didn't think the test was bad either, and the drink didn't taste nasty. Granted, I can't smell, so maybe that makes a difference. I also didn't have to fast. Weird, they told me that since they want to know if you have insulin intolerance, it was fine if I ate carbs right beforehand.

PixieDust said...

I am so glad that everything is going so well! By the way, I love your new background! :)

Heather said...

do not worry at all about measuring bigger than your weeks. my sister in law was like that with her first. the only 2 things that came out of it was a baby that came a few weeks early (3 to be exact) and a lot of water (i am talking niagra falls) when her water broke LOL. but nothing was wrong with her or the baby!
and btw...put ice in the drink. i personally loved it. yes i am the only person that has ever said that i am sure however i put ice in it and drank it and it tasted like orange soda to me which i love that too. good luck!

Dizzy Vizzy said...

Yay for things looking good!! I have no mommy advice to give - just listen to the other moms! :-)

~**Dawn**~ said...

I obviously have no personal experience to speak from but I have heard from quite a few sources that if you drink it cold, it's much easier to handle. Maybe that's why Heather liked it with ice!

Kat said...

Okay, here is what I have to say about the glucose test.
The first time I had to do that (with my first pregnancy, obviously) the doc said I could have breakfast. So I did. I took the test and the results came back high so I had to have the three hour long test done in the lab. It was a pain in the A! The lab technician I talked to said it was probably because I ate breakfast and that you really should eat before the test. Of course the three hour test results came back fine.
The next two times I took the test I ate dinner and then a snack before bed but nothing for breakfast. I took the test in the morning around 9 and the results were normal.
So it is my advice NOT to eat the morning of the test. At all. I think you'll get more accurate results and won't have to sit through the 3 hour test.
Good luck!

Jaina said...

Glad to hear things are going well. This is seriously so exciting!

Kat said...

Oh shoot. I meant to say that the lab technician said you SHOULDN'T eat before the test. SHOULDN'T. Not should. Sorry.